They are saying: Stop signing stupid petitions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I am not quite sure why people think petitions have any value when everything we have learned points in the opposite direction. I am guessing there are some egos involved with this.

When I was young and idealistic we used to talk about consciousness raising. In the campaign for nuclear disarmament for example. It was accepted wisdom that it was important to get people to take that first step. Sign a petition, go on a march, write a letter to the newspaper (no internet then). Once you had done something you were on the first step on the ladder. You were part of the movement. Nobody really thought a petition would change the mind of the politician it was sent to, but it might change the mind of the person signing it. It was about changing minds, and if you changed enough minds then the world would follow.

As far as I know that's still a principle in political action today.

Not sure how "true" it is.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
When I was young and idealistic we used to talk about consciousness raising. In the campaign for nuclear disarmament for example. It was accepted wisdom that it was important to get people to take that first step. Sign a petition, go on a march, write a letter to the newspaper (no internet then). Once you had done something you were on the first step on the ladder. You were part of the movement. Nobody really thought a petition would change the mind of the politician it was sent to, but it might change the mind of the person signing it. It was about changing minds, and if you changed enough minds then the world would follow.

As far as I know that's still a principle in political action today.

Not sure how "true" it is.

The Gods of the Copybook Headings

When we suspend disbelief to presume others share our values and truth, we exhibit the "habits of wishful thinking".

Good luck all.

:)

p.s. Tho must confess, guilty as charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: EBates

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
"all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves"

Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury.

It's time to tell the kiddies, no means no.

Good luck all. :)

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The vitriol is the condescension and arrogance in your posts.

From what I've read of CASAA's submission to OMB/OIRA, their position is along the lines of "We'll accept the tobacco label, and we've already acquiesced to certain regulations like minor sales ban(even though we may not actually think it's necessary), but please don't apply the rest of the tobacco control regulations, that apply to all tobacco products including ST and other products that we believe to be much less harmful but you(FDA) refuse to acknowledge as such."

I'll admit that it's an interesting approach. vaping is tobacco, even though it may not contain nicotine, but don't apply TCA regulations to vaping.

I understand how someone could take the logical leaps to classify vaping as tobacco, I just find it easier to take the much more logical step in reasoning that a product that contains no tobacco, is not tobacco, and therefore the tobacco control regulations should not apply. A third, non tobacco, non drug designation could actually lead to beneficial regulation, but I guess we may never know.

First off the CASAA submission went much deeper that what you imply, but that is another discussion and I am not quite sure why you even brought it up. Perhaps you think CASAA should have submitted a 50 page document with the theme of "We are not tobacco". Fortunately CASAA appears to have their feet pretty well planted in reality so that wasn't going to happen.

Your much more logical step has some serious flaws, with the main one being that the main active ingredient with vaping is extracted from tobacco. What you are trying to say is that if I extract the active ingredient of a plant (that shall not be named because of EFC censures) that I can now use and sell that extract freely and am not subject to any laws pertaining to that plant (which shall not be named).

I think there may be a few issues with that approach, but perhaps you can set up a shop and give it a go. Let us all know how that one turns out.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think that has any chance in the real world. The fundamental problem isn't that vaping is a tobacco product, the problem is that tobacco control laws are basically loony toons with little to no recognition of relative harm. It treats all tobacco products as equally harmful.

The problem I have with your petition is that it actually reinforces the lie that the basic problem is tobacco. It has fundamental flaws that in the long run probably does more harm then good. If your goal is to raise awareness it fails pretty miserably as it actually reinforces the basic misconceptions that got us into this mess.

I loved your post...

But I'm not proud to be self-sufficient, nor enlightened.
Mostly, I'm just saddened by the whole prospect of this load of crap we face.

Self-sufficiency will only take us so far as a growing community.
Education, to what extent we can help it take hold, is the winning move in this game.

How to help it take hold is our challenge.
And how to overcome the obstacles to making that happen is one hell of a puzzle.

Education is the key, but it takes a lot of work and it starts on the grass roots level. Unfortunately the vaping community has gotten distracted with the "We are not tobacco" fantasy. We need to educate the public that there are ways of using tobacco (and that includes vaping) that is vastly less harmful then inhaling smoke. When the public begins to grasp the concepts of THR the game is over. Of course that is easier said then done, but that is the only thing that will stop this madness.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Your much more logical step has some serious flaws, with the main one being that the main active ingredient with vaping is extracted from tobacco. What you are trying to say is that if I extract the active ingredient of a plant (that shall not be named because of EFC censures) that I can now use and sell that extract freely and am not subject to any laws pertaining to that plant (which shall not be named).

I think there may be a few issues with that approach, but perhaps you can set up a shop and give it a go. Let us all know how that one turns out.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think that has any chance in the real world. The fundamental problem isn't that vaping is a tobacco product, the problem is that tobacco control laws are basically loony toons with little to no recognition of relative harm. It treats all tobacco products as equally harmful.

The problem I have with your petition is that it actually reinforces the lie that the basic problem is tobacco. It has fundamental flaws that in the long run probably does more harm then good. If your goal is to raise awareness it fails pretty miserably as it actually reinforces the basic misconceptions that got us into this mess.

I agree with all of this, except for the "reinforcing basic misconceptions" portion. And don't strongly disagree with that. From your words (below, that I highlighted), it is challenging to see you as strongly disagreeing with them.

IMO, it is factual to say that the harms associated with smoking tobacco are yet to be communicated honestly, and without bias. The petition you are railing against says the following:

The classification of vapor products as tobacco products is tenuous at best. While some vapor products do contain nicotine, many do not, and this is where the link to tobacco ends. The goal of the FSPTCA is to minimize the effects of tobacco on public health. In 1976 Professor Michael Russell wrote: “People smoke for nicotine but they die from the tar.”1 Vapor products are free of tobacco, contain no tar, and are not combusted and as such are orders of magnitude less potentially harmful than combustible tobacco.2 In fact, more recent studies that look at nicotine, absent tobacco smoke, show that nicotine is possibly not addictive and could have potential health benefits related to treating Parkinson’s symptoms and staving off Alzheimer’s.3

and says:

This life changing technology has the potential to accomplish what Tobacco Control has failed to do for the past fifty years, unless it is smothered in its infancy. Vapor products, as a recreational consumer good, have the potential to replace combustible tobacco, keeping millions from potential tobacco related illnesses.

and also says:

Vapor products are not tobacco products, they are a safer alternative to tobacco products which may or may not contain nicotine.

Before signing the petition, I took a few moments of consideration. For me those considerations were personal recognition of whether I agree with these tidbits of information balanced by my (strong) desire for political change. Did the same thing before joining CASAA. To date, both have been about as effective in what I seek as change. Both have been great at increasing awareness, and from what I can tell at motivating people to do more, wanting to do more than a single bullet approach.

Education is the key, but it takes a lot of work and it starts on the grass roots level. Unfortunately the vaping community has gotten distracted with the "We are not tobacco" fantasy. We need to educate the public that there are ways of using tobacco (and that includes vaping) that is vastly less harmful then inhaling smoke. When the public begins to grasp the concepts of THR the game is over. Of course that is easier said then done, but that is the only thing that will stop this madness.

Highlighted part is, in essence, no different than what I get from reading of the petition. If that is disputed, please, let us debate on open forum. But I would note that the petition's statement of "Vapor products are....orders of magnitude less potentially harmful than combustible tobacco" and your assertion of "vaping)...is vastly less harmful then [sic] inhaling smoke" strike me as vastly similar. Emphasis on 'vastly.'

According to CASAA (dot org), THR is:

Tobacco harm reduction describes actions taken to lower the health risks associated with using tobacco or nicotine. A very important part of tobacco harm reduction is simply educating people about the risks of different sources of nicotine.

Me, personally, I take issue with this. Not strong opposition, but issues that amount to what I said above (and will repeat here): IMO, it is factual to say that the harms associated with smoking tobacco are yet to be communicated honestly, and without bias.

As I observed shared reality, ANTZ be doing a pretty good job of associating risks/harms associated with different sources of nicotine. Are they the "education" of which THR advocates speak of? Are they not engaged in education of risks? I hope my own answer to these questions are shared by fellow vaping enthusiasts, but a lot of the time (lately), I'm not sure.

As one who's gone cold turkey before, I'm thinking that to the never smoking, never vaper that actual harm reduction would mean avoidance of all nicotine, and not using or quitting (cold turkey). I'd love to see that survey among general public to help us realize that instead of prattling about and around the notion that actual harm reduction would mean don't engage in an activity if you are so sure it has variations that 'cause' you harm. While this would possibly be better termed as 'harm elimination,' I can attest to the idea that cold turkey does NOT equal harm elimination. Thus, that is fantasy talk, while cold turkey does lead to perception (both inward and outward) of harm reduction.

The idea that vaping is magnitudes safer for us than smoking (tobacco) works for us on so many levels that unless one is willing to go through a whole lot of steps that include debating current points taken for granted (i.e. smoking kills 500K people annually), it is rather foolish to debate. Me, I feel very open to that debate, because I really really really want to go after those original memes that are taken for granted, but hold oh so little water. Most, I observe, do not want that debate. Thus, it works for us politically to make smoking the boogeyman and to present vaping as the savior. While ignoring abstinence as if that doesn't really belong in the discussion, since we are talking about harm REDUCTION. And yet, I'm the once cold turkey guy who now smokes moderately and really really really wants to debate all these people who are self convinced that smoking, at any level, is inherently dangerous / risky.

In my strong opinion, it won't be too long now (perhaps we are already at the point, collectively) where vaping will be considered inherently risky, regardless of what's in your vape. Philosophically, it's inescapable as all substances on the planet carry with them risk (and benefit). But practically, it does appear that there are magnitudes of risk, degrees of harm, if we can just limit our scope to the bias that fits our current (and very personal) narrative.

And a petition will do that. As will an organization that seeks to advocate for smokefree alternatives. Or as ANTZ will do in their own way.

If we are going to make the discussion about harms, potential risks, and all the other isolated nonsense that is inherently true about all substances on this planet, then when we single out the activities of vaping and smoking from all other human activities, I'm possibly going to agree with ANTZ rhetoric of stop doing this, now. But if we are going to have discussion on allowing people to make the free decision of using these products despite perceived risks, which are inherent in ALL human activities, then I'm going to be advocating for the recreational nature of either product from a freedom perspective. The petition and the CASAA organization continue to strike me as advocating for the freedom, in their roundabout way. While ANTZ continues to strike me as restricting that freedom and shaming along the way, as if that has inherent merit, and accuracy of scientific data be damned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
First off the CASAA submission went much deeper that what you imply, but that is another discussion and I am not quite sure why you even brought it up. Perhaps you think CASAA should have submitted a 50 page document with the theme of "We are not tobacco". Fortunately CASAA appears to have their feet pretty well planted in reality so that wasn't going to happen.

Your argument would make more sense if the TCA regulations were in place to protect the public from nicotine. They are not. Ostensibly they are in place to protect the people from the harms associated with tobacco use. They do not make any distinctions between the forms of tobacco, which I agree is a shame and should be corrected. However, nicotine is not the substance that is being "controlled." So, removing the tobacco, and leaving the extracted nicotine which carries not of the associated harms from smoked tobacco, makes it not a tobacco product. I understand that we disagree on this.

I support CASAA, I even broadcast their CTA's to the 50,000+ people who have signed the petition, but their views are not the only views. There are always more avenues of attack.

As for the "other stuff," there are actually people working on strains that contain what appears to be the beneficial aspects, that don't have the associated altering effects, and perhaps they will have a separate classification.

The reason people get hung up on "vaping is not tobacco" is because it makes sense. Imagine if you will a purely hypothetical situation, that eating coffee beans was detrimental to your health, something in the organic mass of the beans makes you sick. The government puts in place heavy regulation on the coffee industry. You can brew coffee and it lessens your exposure. Soda, which contains caffeine extracted from coffee, carries none of the health risks of eating coffee. Do you regulate soda as a coffee product?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
While ignoring abstinence as if that doesn't really belong in the discussion, since we are talking about harm REDUCTION. And yet, I'm the once cold turkey guy who now smokes moderately and really really really wants to debate all these people who are self convinced that smoking, at any level, is inherently dangerous / risky.

Because for *most* of us -- not you, obviously, but I said "most" -- abstinence DOESN'T belong in it, because it's simply NOT POSSIBLE. Sure, it'd be better if we existed on fresh air, spring water, and I dunno, kale? but most people won't go to that extreme. The benefit of vaping is that IT ACTUALLY WORKS TO ALLOW US TO AVOID SMOKING WITHOUT SUFFERING FOR THAT AVOIDANCE. Can't tell you how many times I heard "asthmatics shouldn't smoke." Very true, in fact, NOBODY should purposely inhale smoke of any kind! But given the extremity of my addiction to smoking tobacco, it was definitely going to continue until I died -- but with vaping, the extreme suffering and total dementia of going cold turkey is 99% avoided. Pretty sure that applies to A LOT of others, who had ZERO interest in enduring the suffering and dementia of cold turkey. I know, you think we should all be just like you, a little suffering and dementia never bothered YOU, so it shouldn't bother anyone else. But most of us simply would not go there, not for any reason.

If abstinence actually WORKED for most people, e-cigs would never have been invented!

Andria

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Your argument would make more sense if the TCA regulations were in place to protect the public from nicotine. They are not. Ostensibly they are in place to protect the people from the harms associated with tobacco use. They do not make any distinctions between the forms of tobacco, which I agree is a shame and should be corrected. However, nicotine is not the substance that is being "controlled." So, removing the tobacco, and leaving the extracted nicotine which carries not of the associated harms from smoked tobacco, makes it not a tobacco product. I understand that we disagree on this.

I support CASAA, I even broadcast their CTA's to the 50,000+ people who have signed the petition, but their views are not the only views. There are always more avenues of attack.

As for the "other stuff," there are actually people working on strains that contain what appears to be the beneficial aspects, that don't have the associated altering effects, and perhaps they will have a separate classification.

The reason people get hung up on "vaping is not tobacco" is because it makes sense. Imagine if you will a purely hypothetical situation, that eating coffee beans was detrimental to your health, something in the organic mass of the beans makes you sick. The government puts in place heavy regulation on the coffee industry. You can brew coffee and it lessens your exposure. Soda, which contains caffeine extracted from coffee, carries none of the health risks of eating coffee. Do you regulate soda as a coffee product?

Very well put Less, particularly your first par. And yes, "vaping is not tobacco" does make sense. Because it's the simple truth. Do tell me what organic is presently regulated by the FDA? None to my knowledge. Except for the simplest most straightforward explanation that "tobacco" was said to be so addictive, cigarettes are. My objection, that nicotine is to be in effect regulated but it cannot be admitted? That's the semantic deception at work here. Likewise that we can't aggressively pursue free speech in extolling vaping's cessation advantanges and benefits. Rubbish. This is sickening, disgusting, unlawful.

No it's not distraction to discuss one or the other. It's stupidity for us to concede that we shall not rely upon all argument to free others from the political prison of smoking. Why are we tap dancing around the obvious millions of successes around us. The denial, the ill reasoned dangerously justified omission is that of the FDA. They impugn and dismiss our disapproval to assume our consent of authority. How are we to be pragmatic or realistic in the face of that. Again, simple. Don't deny it ourselves. Our coherent position is what prevails in the end. Not truncated strategies that accommodate such absence of dialogue.

Like you I condemn no one that every reasonable approach and effort be made. But we need to be rid of the FDA as it stands. It's behavior is pathological re vaping and their lack of objective integrity puts into question every aspect of function and responsibility they now entertain. Not just e-cigarettes. They've had every opportunity to fashion a balanced and open justification for their intrusion into our commerce. A great many would have gladly received it, even here. Yet, they continue to waste away at our money and sanity. Now, at some point the convo on vaping is actually going to have to get real. To target specific legislators who badly need to be retired. And on to the wayward judiciary which created this social nightmare for all of us. It is not realistic nor rational to rely upon expectations of the equitable responses of unrepentant actors; nor, that any specific stratagem may be optimal or ultimately persuasive of them. That is folly.

Good luck all.

:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
But we need to be rid of the FDA as it stands. It's behavior is pathological re vaping and their lack of objective integrity puts into question every aspect of function and responsibility they now entertain. Not just e-cigarettes. They've had every opportunity to fashion a balanced and open justification for their intrusion into our commerce. A great many would have gladly received it, even here. Yet, they continue to waste away at our money and sanity.

I like and agree with your entire post that this quoted snippet is from, but that part I've underlined, that is the most intelligent thing I've heard at ECF in the nearly 2 yrs I've been here -- indeed, maybe the most intelligent and sensible statement I've heard in a decade or more. Their total lack of integrity renders them completely unfit for their jobs, from the director down to the lowliest file clerk. The FDA needs to be dissolved, period.

Andria

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
bstinence DOESN'T belong in it, because it's simply NOT POSSIBLE. Sure, it'd be better if we existed on fresh air, spring water, and I dunno, kale? but most people won't go to that extreme. The benefit of vaping is that IT ACTUALLY WORKS TO ALLOW US TO AVOID SMOKING WITHOUT SUFFERING FOR THAT AVOIDANCE
For years I tried to quit smoking, well decades really, the biggest hump for me is I liked it!!! I like vaping now, it's much safer, abstinence was never my endgame, when I explain that to people who say things to me like oh you're still using that thing or along those lines it makes sense to them...

Reactions: MacTechVpr

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
For years I tried to quit smoking, well decades really, the biggest hump for me is I liked it!!! I like vaping now, it's much safer, abstinence was never my endgame, when I explain that to people who say things to me like oh you're still using that thing or along those lines it makes sense to them...

I tried 4 times to quit smoking. I really wouldn't even say that I enjoyed smoking; I enjoyed it maybe 20% of the time, the rest of the time it was just maintenance -- to avoid the horrible suffering, the complete dementia that resulted everytime I tried to quit. So yes, I absolutely would have loved to be a non-smoker -- if I could have gotten there without having to go thru the quitting-smoking. That's precisely what vaping has been for me -- a way to get where I wanted to be, without having to walk on hot coals to get there. That's why all this talk of "abstinence' just puts me in a rage -- as if I didn't think of that! :facepalm:

Andria

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I think some petitions are good, main problem now is we've done that. Of course the petitions aren't as good as that many people doing more, but in any normal movement there are a few most active, many more somewhat active, and it can be inferred that the most are not active at all. I don't think that sends a message that people don't care -- it's not the most important issue around, although the contrast between what is right and what they are doing is rarely clearer.

I would like to see the FDA go away, but the real problem was caused by Congress passing a law that did not anticipate a substantially less harmful alternative being regulated by that law. Therefore their burden to fix the situation is greater. the grandfather date change doesn't fix it, but it does somewhat equate tobacco, of which 99% of its history is before 2007, with a product whose history is 99% after 2007. As things are going, it makes their treatment unequal in the wrong direction.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    One of the other big problems is to think our government has bad, evil intention, that it knows what it is trying to do is wrong or not just, that it is all about taxation and to generate revenue. I think this gives too much credit to our government. Most governments are sociopathic machines snowballing down a large hill. It makes for a formidable adversary if you are on the wrong side of it.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Because for *most* of us -- not you, obviously, but I said "most" -- abstinence DOESN'T belong in it, because it's simply NOT POSSIBLE. Sure, it'd be better if we existed on fresh air, spring water, and I dunno, kale? but most people won't go to that extreme. The benefit of vaping is that IT ACTUALLY WORKS TO ALLOW US TO AVOID SMOKING WITHOUT SUFFERING FOR THAT AVOIDANCE. Can't tell you how many times I heard "asthmatics shouldn't smoke." Very true, in fact, NOBODY should purposely inhale smoke of any kind! But given the extremity of my addiction to smoking tobacco, it was definitely going to continue until I died -- but with vaping, the extreme suffering and total dementia of going cold turkey is 99% avoided. Pretty sure that applies to A LOT of others, who had ZERO interest in enduring the suffering and dementia of cold turkey. I know, you think we should all be just like you, a little suffering and dementia never bothered YOU, so it shouldn't bother anyone else. But most of us simply would not go there, not for any reason.

If abstinence actually WORKED for most people, e-cigs would never have been invented!

Andria

Still doesn't explain why one would ignore abstinence when harm reduction comes up. If it is possible for some, then it matters to the points being made. If I'm truly the only person on the planet that can go cold turkey, I get your point. But seeing countless vapers go from switch and then to zero makes for the abstinence path as possible.

I'm not saying "shouldn't vape/smoke." As long as I talk about abstinence, I won't shame a fellow user for choosing to continue to use. But if a fellow vaper is going prattle on about harm reduction, I am going to bring up abstinence. Here's an idea, stop bringing up harm reduction and I'll stop bringing up abstinence. Obviously not said just to you (who I'm responding to), but anyone that feels need to convey all the wonderful merits of harm reduction.

In some ways this is no different than the smoking debate. Just cause some of us have (health) issues with smoking, doesn't mean everyone does. Therefore, if none are being experienced there, then no need for reduction. If I had a dollar for every time a vaper felt the need to bash on smoking, I could cover all vaping vendors PMTAs for the next 10,000 years.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    stop bringing up harm reduction and I'll stop bringing up abstinence.
    abstinence and harm reduction are two completely different things LITERALLY.

Abstinence would be giving up smoking and quitting nicotine..
    Harm reduction is giving up smoking but continuing the nicotine addiction..

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Still doesn't explain why one would ignore abstinence when harm reduction comes up. If it is possible for some, then it matters to the points being made. If I'm truly the only person on the planet that can go cold turkey, I get your point. But seeing countless vapers go from switch and then to zero makes for the abstinence path as possible.

I'm not saying "shouldn't vape/smoke." As long as I talk about abstinence, I won't shame a fellow user for choosing to continue to use. But if a fellow vaper is going prattle on about harm reduction, I am going to bring up abstinence. Here's an idea, stop bringing up harm reduction and I'll stop bringing up abstinence. Obviously not said just to you (who I'm responding to), but anyone that feels need to convey all the wonderful merits of harm reduction.

In some ways this is no different than the smoking debate. Just cause some of us have (health) issues with smoking, doesn't mean everyone does. Therefore, if none are being experienced there, then no need for reduction. If I had a dollar for every time a vaper felt the need to bash on smoking, I could cover all vaping vendors PMTAs for the next 10,000 years.

Ok, points taken. And I'll be honest... if I didn't have asthma... if I was married to a smoker, instead of a non-smoker, and thus could ignore my own smell, and even the smell of the dwelling, if we chose to smoke inside... and I had virtually unlimited funds... I'd probably still smoke, at least a little. Though I'm pretty sure that in my own case, I could no more smoke a little than I could drink a little -- I'm one of those so well described by Dr House, who have to turn things up to 11; it's just my personal compulsion. So maybe I still wouldn't, but I can certainly get why some might, if not ruled by an addictive brain as I always have been. But to me, abstinence is the perfect which is the enemy of the good -- THR. If total cold-turkey abstinence were really a viable choice for *most* people, there would be very little need for THR. Certainly it can be *included* as one of several options, but I think to focus too much attention on it is -- as you always put it -- very ANTZ-like. I read the article regarding THR on rolygate's site, and this, paraphrased, is, to me, one of the MOST important things about THR, and why it can work so well:

If you can't (or don't want to) initially replace all smoking, then replace some cigarettes, and gradually increase the quantity of cigarettes replaced as and if you can;

That is the very essence of THR -- to reduce as much harm as you can stand. If you can stand abstinence, then certainly, it's a better choice. But if you cannot stand it, there is no reason to chuck the whole effort -- reduce as much as is possible for you. THAT is why I vape and will probably continue to vape for the foreseeable future: because when I'm vaping, I can stand to not smoke at all -- and for me, that is a pure and undiluted miracle, not to be dissed by anybody.

Andria

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Already spoke to this before.
    You clearly don't understand it...

Does the person:

(a): Want to negate the harmful effects of smoking due to their nicotine addiction

or

(b): Quit nicotine altogether

They may seem pretty close to the same but they are worlds apart...

I like nicotine, I don't like tar in my lungs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread