Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Caliwood, Hollyfornia
Some day of the year
United States and part of West Virginia

Dear Nephew,
As I have time because I ain’t so busy, I thought I would write you a few lines, 8 or 10 pages, and let you know the up-to-date news about 6 months old. We are all as well as can be expected for the condition we’re in. We ain’t sick, we just don’t feel well. I’m feeling fine, Aunt Martha is dead, and I hope this letter finds you the same. I suppose you will want to hear about us moving from W. Va. to Caliwood, Hollyfornia. We never started moving until we left, never turned off until we came to a crossroad and stayed on the road that went there. It didn’t take us any longer than the time we started to the time we arrived. The trip was the best part of it. If you ever come out here don’t miss that. They didn’t expect us until we got here and most of the people we were acquainted with we knew, and the people we didn’t know seemed like strangers. We still live in the same place we moved to which is beside our nearest neighbors across the road from the other side. John says he thinks we will stay here until we move or go somewhere else. We are very busy farming. We have three cows, but are going to sell one because we can’t milk him. Eggs are a good price, that’s why they are so high. I sure hope we get a lot of them. We just bought twenty-five roosters and one old hen. Some of the ground is so poor we can’t raise an umbrella on it, but we have a fine crop of potatoes. Some the size of a hickory nut, some the size of BB’s and then we have a whole lot of little ones. We also have a fine crop of corn. I think we will make about 50 gallons to the acre. Some worms got in our corn last year but we just fished them out and drank it anyway. Our romance started with a gallon of corn and ended with a full crib. Mary was taking the cows to water them and when they went across the bridge one fell through and strained her milk. Now she gets the hiccups once a week and churns her own butter. The dog died last week. John said he swallowed a tape line and died by the inches. Mary said he went up the back alley and died by the yard, but June said he crawled up under the bed and died by the foot. My mother-in-law is sick and near death’s door. We sure hope the doctor can pull her through it. June fell off the back porch. It bruised her summer hat and skinned her back end. Alice got the mumps and is having a swell time. The baby swallowed a roll of camera film but I don’t think anything will develop. Every time John gets sick he starts to feeling bad. The doctor gave him some medicine and said if he gets better it might help him and if he didn’t get any worse he would feel about the same. I think he has paralysis. John and Alice went swimming last week, John lost his pants and had to take poor Alice’s. Mary has a garter in her stomach. The doctor said she’s been drinking too much soda pop and they moved up on her. Every time Grandpa gets a toothache his foot starts hurting and it won’t stop hurting until it stops aching. I would have sent you the five dollars I owe you but I already had this letter sealed before I thought about it. I sent you the overcoat I borrowed but I had to cut the buttons off so it wouldn’t be so heavy. You will find them in the left pocket. We are out of jelly so I sent John to New York to get some traffic jam. I’m putting your address inside the envelope so it won’t rub off. I must close now. If you don’t get this letter in time to read it let me know and I will mail it to you. If you can’t read my writing, make a copy of it and read your own. It took me 3 days to write this letter as you are such a slow reader. Write me if it is nothing but a check.
P.S. I would like to describe our new house. We now live in a house where everything is modern. We have a kitchen, living room, dining room and 2 bedrooms. And then there is one little room upstairs we just found last week. It’s got a thing in it that looks like what we used to water the horses out of, only a little more fancy. Then there is a little white thing about three feet tall with hot and cold water, but it wasn’t any good, it had a hole in it. Then there was another thing over in the corner that was the handiest thing in the house. You could put one foot down in it, wash it all over and then press a little lever and you had clean water for the other foot. Grandpa went to get a drink from it and the lid fell down and hit his head so hard it knocked both his teeth out. It has two lids on it. Mom took the solid lid off and she rolls pie dough on that one. One lid has a hole in it so we framed Grandpa’s picture in it. Everybody says it looks as natural as if he was sitting right there.
End

Electricnut

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
East Central Ohio
Hollywood Squares:

These great questions and answers are from the days when ' Hollywood Squares' game show responses were spontaneous, not scripted, as they are now. Peter Marshall was the host asking the questions, of course..

Q.. Paul, what is a good reason for pounding meat?
A. Paul Lynde: Loneliness!

(The audience laughed so long and so hard it took up almost 15 minutes of the show!)

Q. Do female frogs croak?
A. Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

Q. If you're going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be
A. Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

Q. True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
A. George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

Q. You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?
A. Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

Q. According to Cosmopolitan, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he's married?
A. Rose Marie: No wait until morning.

Q. Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
A. Charley Weaver: My sense of decency..

Q. In Hawaiian, does it take more than three words to say 'I Love You'?
A. Vincent Price: No, you can say it with a pineapple and a twenty..

Q. What are 'Do It,' 'I Can Help,' and 'I Can't Get Enough'?
A. George Gobel: I don't know, but it's coming from the next apartment.

Q. As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?
A. Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question Peter, and I'll give you a gesture you'll never forget.

Q. Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?
A. Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.

Q. Charley, you've just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any during the first year?
A. Charley Weaver: Of course not, I'm too busy growing strawberries.

Q. In bowling, what's a perfect score?
A. Rose Marie: Ralph, the pin boy.

Q. It is considered in bad taste to discuss two subjects at nudist camps. One is politics, what is the other?
A. Paul Lynde: Tape measures.

Q. During a tornado, are you safer in the bedroom or in the closet?
A. Rose Marie: Unfortunately Peter, I'm always safe in the bedroom.

Q. Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?
A. Marty Allen: Only after lights out.

Q. When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail. What will a goose do?
A. Paul Lynde: Make him bark?

Q. If you were pregnant for two years, what would you give birth to?
A. Paul Lynde: Whatever it is, it would never be afraid of the dark.

Q. According to Ann Landers, is there anything wrong with getting into the habit of kissing a lot of people?
A. Charley Weaver: It got me out of the army.

Q. It is the most abused and neglected part of your body, what is it?
A. Paul Lynde: Mine may be abused, but it certainly isn't neglected.

Q. Back in the old days, when Great Grandpa put horseradish on his head, what was he trying to do?
A. George Gobel: Get it in his mouth.

Q. Who stays pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?
A. Paul Lynde: Who told you about my elephant?

Q. When a couple have a baby, who is responsible for its sex?
A. Charley Weaver: I'll lend him the car, the rest is up to him

Q. Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions.
What are they?
A. Charley Weaver: His feet.

Q. According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?
A. Paul Lynde: Point and laugh

WE DON'T STOP LAUGHING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD, WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP LAUGHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread