Top air RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
That's what it would cost if you ordered from the EU market, plus you'd have to pat for shipping. Didn't see the extension kit offered.
would like to see lots of extension kits and glass to convert up to 10 mls, for nearly any atty..

(peaking at the sky for unicorns)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Vandy Vape Mesh rta
20190401_144640_compress_54.jpg

This top air RTA uses a deck like the one found in the Cthulhu Ceto RDA... two vertical clamps.
20190401_142755_compress_60.jpg
The air comes in at the top and down to the bottom of an internal double chimney before hitting the mesh.
20190401_142806_compress_38.jpg
I have yet to find a model that handles SS318L mesh well in TC, so I opted to use some Digiflavor KA1 mesh wire. Sadly, this mesh is too wide to fit in the clamps and had to be trimmed by about a mm.

I like cut the mesh long, and then strip the mesh over something round... like curling a ribbon.
20190401_143610_compress_16.jpg
I clamp one end in, then put in the wick. In this case I chose to use rayon as it does not expand or collapse and should maintain even contact with the mesh - vital - throughout the various vaping cycles. I just snipped a section and tuck the whole 'rope' in place. The reason the mesh was cut too long comes into play, now. I pull the mesh tight against the wick - like tightening a belt - before clamping and trimming.
20190401_143732_compress_95.jpg
Then I trim the wick so it's basically level with the top of the posts and prime the <÷5&_×[@*€|8~■•□ out of it. Seriously, I think I used nearly 3ml priming this thing.
20190401_144115_008_compress_45.jpg
Assemble and fill. This tank uses the top slider style fill port.
20190401_144455_compress_19.jpg
How does it vape? Well enough, I suppose.
20190401_144758_compress_99.jpg
But, honestly, I don't like it... or any mesh based rebuildable atomizer*. For my own personal tastes and vaping style - long, slow, slightly restricted DL - I find the vape to be less than saturated. Then there's the ever present fear of a dry hit... and I've had my share of those getting this thing...

ETA: a few things I forgot to mention...
  1. the tolerances on the AFC ring are ridiculously tight.
  2. Can be built using a big single coil.
  3. Can drip right into the wick through the drip tip.

*I typically don't use drop in coil tanks, but as of late I've been finding that I'm kind of enjoying a couple mesh coil offerings that have come with a couple of tanks I've evaluated... the Advken Owl (on this list), and the new run of disposable tanks that use mesh coils (Tesla ONE, iJoy Mystique, Augvape Jewel, Blitz Mate, Sikary USA NuNu, Geekvape Lumi [not the best performer of the bunch, but sure looks nice], and Vzone Preco ONE).

Attachments

• 20190401_143856_compress_70.jpg
    20190401_143856_compress_70.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I managed to find a coupon at Sourcemore that brought the pre-order price of the Expromizer V4 down to $30 shipped. It's on order... Now the wait.
Can't wait. I'm interested in this one. You really are a gentleman laying your head on the stump for us. Thx, Shawn.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
unicorns,, unicorns we keep hunting for them,

Life would be beautiful and complete if I had my unicorn

Oh China why do you deny me my unicorn

I like ponies but I love unicorns

YouTube full of promise a unicorn can be found

Message boards across the net touting sitings of unicorns

Oh China please send me a unicorn
All I ask is for one unicorn in each category: mtl, rl, dl. Not just best flavor but best in every way. I won't settle for the "trade off" theory. That's an excuse. Is that too much?

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
All I ask is for one unicorn in each category: mtl, rl, dl. Not just best flavor but best in every way. I won't settle for the "trade off" theory. That's an excuse. Is that too much?
Lol.. Ps I have a new silverplay atty too. I haven't messed with because I didn't realize I picked the wrong color(gold).. Got a bellus I hate..im thinking it's more mtl (?). And I just hate messing with the tank.....

Found I really like the smm serpent for flavor and quite a bit of clouds...i think if I close the air she may slow down on her drinking problem lol...i think this atty is a dl (?)

When I was shopping all I really cared about was the deck. Top fill.. I would say my unhappiness lately with my purchases was because I lost too much equipment at nearly the same time.. Throwing critical thinking out the window.

My husband just started vaping... All the better gear we have....and makes the leap with a pod system lol..- he isn't interested in the gear I don't like and thinks my preferred set up is too much..

Yeah I'm rambling.. ;)

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Lol.. Ps I have a new silverplay atty too. I haven't messed with because I didn't realize I picked the wrong color(gold).. Got a bellus I hate..im thinking it's more mtl (?). And I just hate messing with the tank.....

Found I really like the smm serpent for flavor and quite a bit of clouds...i think if I close the air she may slow down on her drinking problem lol...i think this atty is a dl (?)

When I was shopping all I really cared about was the deck. Top fill.. I would say my unhappiness lately with my purchases was because I lost too much equipment at nearly the same time.. Throwing critical thinking out the window.

My husband just started vaping... All the better gear we have....and makes the leap with a pod system lol..- he isn't interested in the gear I don't like and thinks my preferred set up is too much..

Yeah I'm rambling.. ;)
Look at the positive side of it! Your husband just started vaping and I'm assuming he stopped smoking? That is a monumental step!

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Throwing critical thinking out the window.
Yes, so important. All angles need to be taken into consideration. I think it takes some time and experience with different gear to settle in on what you like. You might not consider the fact that you prefer top fill, dual coil, single coil, (both depending) vapor over flavor, TC or not, function over looks, or a combo platter of the above, or the opposite of the above, etc., until you try it. And even then, if you tend to follow the crowd instead of being honest with yourself and your needs, you'll be forever "walking your fingers through the yellow pages". I bet there's some millennials thinking, "Huh?"

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Kaees Solomon V3
Single coil mode
20190408_160619_compress_79.jpg

It's a 25mm tank that stands just shy of 50mm tall with the included drip tip. What is pictured above is a touch taller 'cause I went with this matchy-matchy 810 drip tip. Yeah... standard, no o-ring 810 compatible, but there's a lip so far 810s will not look right. The included drip tip is one of those double-walled affairs that slips down over the lip. With the included replacement straight glass, it'll hold 3.5ml. With the installed bubble glass, the capacity jumps to 5ml. There's matching knurling at the base and at the AFC (which has stops at both sides and will come off for cleaning). Some additional knurling is provided around the top cap making it a breeze to remove... about 2 1/4 turns on and off.

The Kaees Solomon V3 is the first top air RTA that is designed from the ground up to function as either a dual or single coil RTA. Sure, there are several that can function in either mode, but they're designed as dual coil RTAs that'll just happen to take a larger single coil. These others have no adjustments to the way the airflow hits the coils, and that'll often lead to muted flavor. They have no adjustments to the way the tank is wicked, and that can lead to flooding, gurgling, or choking and dry hits.

The Solomon 3, on the other hand, came with internal chimney caps... caps similar to those used in the Geekvape Zeus X and Advken CP TF. Where those RTAs come with a single cap with a single style of airflow, the Solomon 3's two caps are both engineered to handle airflow and wicking differently.

More on that in a bit...

Coiling the deck is easy. For a single coil, I strongly recommend nothing smaller than 3.5mm. Less than 3.5mm and there won't be enough wick. I didn't run anything larger, but I think you could likely wrap up to a 4.5mm.
20190408_155058_compress_2.jpg
Wicking is just as easy. Cut the wicks even with the edge of the base and tuck in. It's not necessary to fluff or comb out the tails... just break up the ends where the scissors compressed the fibers.
20190408_155401_compress_72.jpg
Then, there's the cap...
20190408_155645_compress_44.jpg
20190408_155729_compress_26.jpg
This one has a different honeycomb pattern and less of a cut out for the wick than the dual coil cap. Regardless of which cap is used, slip it over the top and twist to lock it in place. There are tabs protruding from the base of the cap and slots on the outer ring of the deck. That means that once installed, the cap is not gonna rattle around or come off when removing the tank section. Make sure that the coils are not making contact with the cap...

Fill through the slots in the top after priming the coil and assembling.
20190408_155858_compress_8.jpg
And, vape...
20190408_160654_compress_17.jpg
I tend to prefer dual coil RTAs, but I have to say that I am enjoying this RTA in single coil mode.

That's not to say it's perfect... the posts are a touch weak and torquing down on the posts will make them flex. One too many flexes, and you've got a tiny 3.5 to 5ml paperweight. Tiny, tiny cons might include the 2 1/4 turn top cap... I kinda like the quarter-turn twist lock or the slide to fill found on so many other tanks. And, the fill holes are kinda tiny... perfectly functional, but a bit smaller than I'm used to. However, those are really the only cons I can find.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Kaees Solomon V3
Single coil mode
View attachment 808119
It's a 25mm tank that stands just shy of 50mm tall with the included drip tip. What is pictured above is a touch taller 'cause I went with this matchy-matchy 810 drip tip. Yeah... standard, no o-ring 810 compatible, but there's a lip so far 810s will not look right. The included drip tip is one of those double-walled affairs that slips down over the lip. With the included replacement straight glass, it'll hold 3.5ml. With the installed bubble glass, the capacity jumps to 5ml. There's matching knurling at the base and at the AFC (which has stops at both sides and will come off for cleaning). Some additional knurling is provided around the top cap making it a breeze to remove... about 2 1/4 turns on and off.

The Kaees Solomon V3 is the first top air RTA that is designed from the ground up to function as either a dual or single coil RTA. Sure, there are several that can function in either mode, but they're designed as dual coil RTAs that'll just happen to take a larger single coil. These others have no adjustments to the way the airflow hits the coils, and that'll often lead to muted flavor. They have no adjustments to the way the tank is wicked, and that can lead to flooding, gurgling, or choking and dry hits.

The Solomon 3, on the other hand, came with internal chimney caps... caps similar to those used in the Geekvape Zeus X and Advken CP TF. Where those RTAs come with a single cap with a single style of airflow, the Solomon 3's two caps are both engineered to handle airflow and wicking differently.

More on that in a bit...

Coiling the deck is easy. For a single coil, I strongly recommend nothing smaller than 3.5mm. Less than 3.5mm and there won't be enough wick. I didn't run anything larger, but I think you could likely wrap up to a 4.5mm.
View attachment 808129
Wicking is just as easy. Cut the wicks even with the edge of the base and tuck in. It's not necessary to fluff or comb out the tails... just break up the ends where the scissors compressed the fibers.
View attachment 808127
Then, there's the cap...
View attachment 808125
View attachment 808123
This one has a different honeycomb pattern and less of a cut out for the wick than the dual coil cap. Regardless of which cap is used, slip it over the top and twist to lock it in place. There are tabs protruding from the base of the cap and slots on the outer ring of the deck. That means that once installed, the cap is not gonna rattle around or come off when removing the tank section. Make sure that the coils are not making contact with the cap...

Fill through the slots in the top after priming the coil and assembling.
View attachment 808121
And, vape...
View attachment 808117
I tend to prefer dual coil RTAs, but I have to say that I am enjoying this RTA in single coil mode.

That's not to say it's perfect... the posts are a touch weak and torquing down on the posts will make them flex. One too many flexes, and you've got a tiny 3.5 to 5ml paperweight. Tiny, tiny cons might include the 2 1/4 turn top cap... I kinda like the quarter-turn twist lock or the slide to fill found on so many other tanks. And, the fill holes are kinda tiny... perfectly functional, but a bit smaller than I'm used to. However, those are really the only cons I can find.
Is the flavor comparable to other dedicated single coil rtas?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Is the flavor comparable to other dedicated single coil rtas?
Honestly, where I'm at right now - with no other single coil tanks with similar builds at hand to do an honest side-by-side comparison - this seems better. The Serpent Elevate might give it a run for its money, but I think it outclasses the Juggerknot Mini, Vapefly Horus, Kaees Solomon 2, and maybe the Advken CT TF. BUT I must repeat that's without any side-by-side testing at this moment. I reserve the right to change my mind when I set them all up side by side in the grand finale.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Zeus Dual, Zeus X and now Solomon 3 all follow the same business strategy - building a dual coil tank and claims it to be single coil capable too... sigh!

As a single coil user I would like to ask, why would I buy a tank with dual coil part(s) that I don't use at all (since every part counts into its cost)?

Is is appropriate "to claim a tank is single coil capable" if it only allows big diameter coil because otherwise you will have not enough cotton to cover the big juice well designed for dual coil mode?

Is it that difficult for Geekvape to listen to its original Zeus users, just once?
Give us more color selections, bigger capacity, better air flow mechanism and most importantly designed the new Zeus from head to toe as a single coil tank...

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Zeus Dual, Zeus X and now Solomon 3 all follow the same business strategy - building a dual coil tank and claims it to be single coil capable too... sigh!

As a single coil user I would like to ask, why would I buy a tank with dual coil part(s) that I don't use at all (since every part counts into its cost)?

Is is appropriate "to claim a tank is single coil capable" if it only allows big diameter coil because otherwise you will have not enough cotton to cover the big juice well designed for dual coil mode?

Is it that difficult for Geekvape to listen to its original Zeus users, just once?
Give us more color selections, bigger capacity, better air flow mechanism and most importantly designed the new Zeus from head to toe as a single coil tank...
You must've missed a big section of my write up... the Solomon 3 is a single coil OR a dual coil tank depending on how you configure it. As it's set up, for me, right now, it's a dedicated single coil. If I swap out the chimneys, it'll be a dual coil. This tank is doing both jobs well rather than one well and one halfway.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The unethical business strategy, season 2 final episode:
Nowadays all my top air flow tanks looked pregnant... is bubble glass tube the sole solution for bigger capacity?
The trend a while back was to make the tanks taller, but that trend fell out of favor as mods got smaller. With the 6ml glass, my Kylin was nearly as tall as my mod. I applaud the bubble glass trend. They keep the tanks shorter and more pocketable. I also find bubble glass to be a touch sturdier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread