Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
ECF is really not under any obligation to promote the blu product, particularly since we don't know much about it and the supplier doesn't seem to have much of an interest in coming here and introducing their line and answering member questions.

As a matter of fact, if you view the linkback at the bottom of this page, you'll get an idea of what I am talking about. Meanwhile, ECF should allow 42 page threads to keep getting bumped up on the front page so the blu website gets "attention" from this? We have over 10,000 members here...that's quite a customer base....not counting the fact that it was a great advertisement for them via a google search.

SJ is not supporting the site until he knows more about them. I would think if they were being cooperative, this wouldn't be an issue right now. But perhaps they have no intention to be. Time will tell....and adjustments will be made accordingly.

Lu

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
I've already sent a message to Joe.

Might I suggest that if you have any real rules about certain words you add them to the forum profanity filter.

Complaints aren't the same thing as clarification.

That's not always a viable option though, Kate. Censoring "blu" would mean that you would have to censor every instance of "blu", even if used in a string of other characters because things like "blucig" would still appear uncensored if you only censored the seperated word "blu". But you can't do that because too many legitimate words would be censored as well. I have a very simple yet 100% effective solution that I use on my own forums and it's part of the stock vBulletin software, but I'm not an admin here so it's not something I'm able to help with.

Just imagine every other sentence in the forum looking like this...

"I just tried some ***eberry liquid from ecigdonkey.com and it's so strong that my vision is ***rry and I'm seeing ***e monkeys flying around my living room. I hate to be so ***nt but this ***eberry liquid is crap!"

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Nothing set us off Kate. We have been moving blu threads all week out of the newb forum to here....and it hasn't been a problem. Most newbs don't (understandably) even seem to know this subforum exists....but once here, they are at least getting some answers from other blu users.

As I said, at some point this may get resolved and changed but at this point, this is how it is.

Lu

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
Ok, thanks Babachoo, I see what you mean although it would be preferable to block some unintended words in my opinion than to tolerate unnecessary human error.

I just wish I knew what sets the mods off, I hate to see intervention.

It's pretty tough to make all policies public because forum policy and enforcement are a pretty dynamic thing, especially with heavily trafficked forums like ECF. Even if SJ ran this place like a drill instructor, requiring every action taken by the mods to be "by the book", the book changes day to day and what may have seemed like a good policy one day may seem foolish the next. So you change things around until you feel like you've found a good balance.

But the reality is that most forums are run by an Admin/Owner who sets forth a general set of guidelines, and updates it regularly, but also offers some discretion by the mods, so long as their moderation actions appear to follow the overall goals and direction the forum is trying to go in. I know at my forums, mods are allowed to make their own educated decisions if I'm not around to consult with (if they are unsure about something), so they know that they have the authority to do what they feel is right for the forum, and if they do something that needs correcting, I'll inform them how I would have handled it, but in most cases their own judgement is as good as mine if I have trained them well.

That said, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes here, but with the influx of desperately needed mods as of late, they're probably doing the best they can to represent the forum the way SJ would want to handle things. He's a busy guy and probably tries to help them along, but there's a bit of a learning curve so give it time before expecting perfection from anyone. :)

But I would definitely send SJ a PM if you really feel like a certain mod has a major attitude problem or is giving ECF a bad name. Be prepared to post links, pointing to what you feel is unjust. And under no circumstances should you be overly whiny or irrational/upset. Be respectful and most of the time the Admin will actually take the time to look into it, at least I do.

Hope that helps. :)

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
That makes a lot of sense Babachoo, thanks :)

I've been trying to not say anything but sometimes I don't get the rationale behind certain actions. The judge, jury and executioner type mindset just makes me want to argue until I'm banned.

But yeah, you're right, things need to settle. It's just nice to be able to voice an opinion on how they should settle (for now).

Willowsong

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
City of Lost Angels
I've been trying to not say anything but sometimes I don't get the rationale behind certain actions. The judge, jury and executioner type mindset just makes me want to argue until I'm banned.

But yeah, you're right, things need to settle. It's just nice to be able to voice an opinion on how they should settle (for now).

I'm the same way Kate, and I've tried really hard to bite my tongue! I don't want to argue, and I'm grateful that n00bs (like me!) at least can get some info here now about this particular product. I've chatted a bit with a few mods via PM and they have all been really wonderful about it.

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
That makes a lot of sense Babachoo, thanks :)

No problem. I think our personalities are similar in certain regards, at least on forums. It took me a while to learn that the best way to question a decision made by a mod is to PM that mod and discuss it privately in a civil manner. And if they don't budge and you feel it's worth fighting over (pick your battles), PM the head admin and avoid asserting yourself as 100% infallible, but tactfully bring up the possibility of the mod might have made a mistake or might not be aware of something. Play nice privately unless it's a serious issue that everyone on the forum should be made aware of, in those rare cases, by all means raise a stink in the public forums.

msfatty

Jun 13, 2009
www.msfatty.com
My apologies for any apple cart upsetting. ;-)

I have no clue about any of these products, blu or otherwise, i'm just starting out.

i'd love to try a product that has an affiliate program because i'd like to be able to use it on my weight loss blog, if it turns out that it's something that helps me quit smoking and not gain weight.

That being said, I've probably read enough about blu here that i am not going to bother with it. Any other products with affiliate programs out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread