Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Oh also, i live in Brenham Texas lol, were bluebell originated from :)

Heh, you're not that far down 290 then. I'm .... up against Camp Swift. Enough that some nights, when they're playing their war game things or whatever it is, I wanna yell, "IF I SURRENDER CAN I GET SOME SLEEP?????"

:D

I'm on my third week, and I'm pretty enthusiastic. It seems really easy, looking back on it, but the first couple of days did have that feeling of forgetting to do something, or that you've misplaced something. I also had an issue of not knowing what to do with myself, where I would usually go outside and smoke a cigarette, now I could just stay put. But then that feeling of misplacement comes in.

There's also the self-image thing: I thought of smoking as somehow a part of my "thing", the image I present to the world. A visual aspect of my personality manifested in a physical trait. I'm a smoker, right, so I need to smoke.

All of that passed. It is a little like getting married. You're crossing this threshold in your mind, the world does not shake in response bit it seems like it should. Yesterday, I WAS a smoker. Tomorrow, suddenly, I'm not? That seems scary. It seems like an upheaval, or some fundamental parting of ways with "the old you". Then you wake up and realize that you're the same person, everything important is just like it used to be. That's the mental shift, when you choose to cross that threshold and drop that label, then it all gets easier. There IS a physical element to it, but really, it is mostly mental.

Good luck, and stay strong. It is worth it!

Just to add: I still go outside for my "smoke break" at work. I don't vape at my desk. So, 10:00 rolls around, I head out, sit in my car, and power vape. At home, when I would normally step out for a smoke, I step out and vape. It helps to feel like your routines are not totally upended, and it helps (me anyway) with that feeling of displacement.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Today is better than yesterday, and tomorrow will be just a touch easier.

I've was on and off e-cigs (el-cheapo gas station variety) for a LOOOONG time, cheating here and there, and most of the time getting frustrated with the low-quality devices and going back to analogs for days/weeks/months at a time.

This time, I've decided to go with better, more reliable equipment and MUCH tastier e-liquid. Yes, I still get urges, but honestly, even after only 17 days (according to my banner, yay!) it's nowhere near as bad as it was a week ago, and it's not even a struggle to squash that urge now. The "itch" is slowly disappearing!

Yeah the "cig-a-likes" won't cut it to get to zero on the smoking. They're okay in "cutting back" but seems nobody's able to completely switch to vaping with them.

Funny thing, lately I've been having some oddball "miss it" feelings about smoking. Nothing all that strong but enough I bought so NJoys. They did a pretty decent job of imitating cigs. Seems some part of me wants to "play smoke" or something stupid like that. :)

I'm far enough out now I really can't see myself going back. But I doubt I'll ever shake that basic thing of I liked smoking. Always did. And that's the one (and only) thing I miss about Blu. It was closer to... I dunno... "feeling like" a cig? Meh, so I supplement with some NJoys. They're actually pretty good. Crappy batteries like all disposables and too overpriced to use regularly but now and again? Not bad...

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I'm on my third week, and I'm pretty enthusiastic. It seems really easy, looking back on it, but the first couple of days did have that feeling of forgetting to do something, or that you've misplaced something. I also had an issue of not knowing what to do with myself, where I would usually go outside and smoke a cigarette, now I could just stay put. But then that feeling of misplacement comes in.

There's also the self-image thing: I thought of smoking as somehow a part of my "thing", the image I present to the world. A visual aspect of my personality manifested in a physical trait. I'm a smoker, right, so I need to smoke.

All of that passed. It is a little like getting married. You're crossing this threshold in your mind, the world does not shake in response bit it seems like it should. Yesterday, I WAS a smoker. Tomorrow, suddenly, I'm not? That seems scary. It seems like an upheaval, or some fundamental parting of ways with "the old you". Then you wake up and realize that you're the same person, everything important is just like it used to be. That's the mental shift, when you choose to cross that threshold and drop that label, then it all gets easier. There IS a physical element to it, but really, it is mostly mental.

Good luck, and stay strong. It is worth it!

Yeah that's a funny thing. The psychological part and the self-image and such. I can't tell you when it happened but somewhere along the line I started seeing myself as a "vaper", not a "smoker".

Did not happen all at once and there's no one day I can point to like some "conversion" experience. Just one day I was babbling along like I always do here on ECF and realized I didn't see myself as "smoker who vaped" anymore. I'm a vaper. Smoking is... something I used to do.

Dunno. Humans is weird. :)

Some time early on with my PV, I rolled up a RYO and sat it on the table next to me while I vaped and messed around on the internet. I left it sitting there for a while, and kept looking at it. I guess I was setting myself up for this cheesy movie moment, where I took the cigarette and broke it in half, signifying an end to smoking. So cheesy! So I'm sitting there, thinking about how cheesy it is, then I just did it. I broke the cigarette in half, then I ground it into little pieces. Then I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. Very dramatic. But I think it helped. :)

dbodin

Sep 7, 2013
Texas
At the end of day 8! I gotta say, i had some mild craving today. Not because I want cigarettes so much, but more because My wick in my tank is all gunked up, so I can barely taste the vapor. Tried cleaning it but eh. I've got a whole new set of heads and a big bottle of my johnson creek domestic coming tomorrow morning! I've got silverthorn in it right, and I can barely taste it :(

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Hi! I'm new, and only been off analogs for 5 days now, so know what you're feeling. As others have said, the behavioural addiction is sometimes almost as strong as the chemical one. I have found myself craving them now and then, but when thinking about it it's just the action of lighting up that I'm after, nothing more.
This is me, right now. (Hi, everyone, another noob here!) I never smoked more than half a pack a day, but I am seriously addicted: for me it's as much (if not more!) about the ritual of the thing, as others have mentioned, as it is the nicotine. I've done cold turkey before, even for a couple of months, but the ritual pulls me back even when the nicotine can't be exerting much of an influence.

I have a lot of hope for vaping, because I'll have a new kind of ritual as I quit...

Nightcall

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
USA
It's been 9 days cig free for me. The last few years I was beginning to lose faith that I would ever be able to quit smoking. It was a scary and depressing thought that I'd be smoking for the rest of my life, in prison of this miserable addiction. But with vaping I finally found something that not only works, but is also very enjoyable. The freedom of being cigarette free for good now is one of the best things I've ever experienced, but I don't want to get over-confident. Have to stay vigilant and guard against unexpected slip-ups.

One day perhaps I'll quit nicotine, but one step at a time.

Congrats to the OP and the others here.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Some time early on with my PV, I rolled up a RYO and sat it on the table next to me while I vaped and messed around on the internet. I left it sitting there for a while, and kept looking at it. I guess I was setting myself up for this cheesy movie moment, where I took the cigarette and broke it in half, signifying an end to smoking. So cheesy! So I'm sitting there, thinking about how cheesy it is, then I just did it. I broke the cigarette in half, then I ground it into little pieces. Then I threw it on the ground and stomped on it. Very dramatic. But I think it helped. :)
I have two ashtrays in the house; one is scrubbed clean and put away, the other still has the butts of the last two cigarettes I smoked in it. It's sitting on my computer desk, and I haven't been able to toss them and clean the ashtray. I sit at my computer vaping away, looking at it and feeling good about what I'm doing.

dbodin

Sep 7, 2013
Texas
I have two ashtrays in the house; one is scrubbed clean and put away, the other still has the butts of the last two cigarettes I smoked in it. It's sitting on my computer desk, and I haven't been able to toss them and clean the ashtray. I sit at my computer vaping away, looking at it and feeling good about what I'm doing.

Yeah thats my ashtray to lol. Still 3 sitting in there for the past week. Keeps me motivated :)

I was never aware how bad cigarettes really smell! I walked in my house today and I was like wooooaaah. I'm taking a break from my vigorous cleaning. I can't seem to get the stink out though lol... Any recommendations on something that will help?

Oh and I went to the doctor today for a checkup. The first thing he said to me "Did you quit smoking?" I was like "Your damn right I did!"
so proud lol!

mstenbaek

Aug 30, 2012
Denmark
After a year without analogs I have allowed my self to take a smoke every now and then (like 1 after a great barbecue) this summer i think I have lighted up 10 smokes and the have all disappointed me !! Vaping is just better. That thick steamy cloud is what i crave now ;) But you have to quit complete ! The ones that think they from the start can mix the 2 always end up giving up on vaping course of the learning curve.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I was never aware how bad cigarettes really smell! I walked in my house today and I was like wooooaaah. I'm taking a break from my vigorous cleaning. I can't seem to get the stink out though lol... Any recommendations on something that will help?

Sigh. Looking around my place, the thought, "burn it down" comes to mind.

But I guess that's not helpful...

dbodin

Sep 7, 2013
Texas
Sigh. Looking around my place, the thought, "burn it down" comes to mind.

But I guess that's not helpful...

we share the same mind apparently o_ o
clean with fire! I'm actually considering going out and buying a new bed and couch... those seem to be the worse.
And the curtains smell horrible, but I can wash those.

talon2525

Sep 14, 2013
NC
its day 3 of no smokes, and I can't say im doing great.
this is the longest i've gone without one in years.

Im not craving like I would cold turkey, but I feel like i'm going to "miss them"
Almost like im scared to let them go.

I see alot of people with the banners saying 1 million days without analogs etc

Do you ever really just not want them at all? Or are there times where you really have to fight it like I am now?

Sorry for all the posts, i'm trying to keep my mind off them.

Really for me when I quit, I only had one real craving and that was for the act of lighting a cig, I had a pack in my hand and was pullin a cig out and I stopped, told my self you'll have to start your timer all over. For that craving I grabbed my PV and chain vaped till I lost it.
Some things that may help is a free program from the internet called free countdown timer, and if you have someone to quit with ya the friendly competition will help motivate. Also get some stronger nic juice just a 10 mil bottle and keep it on hand for those cravings.

Good luck and keep up the fight. It is doable

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA

I don't know of anything that will get rid of it; things like candles and Febreeze seem to mask it for a while. Hopefully time and air will help. It sucks because my couch (a HUGE Lazy Boy sectional) has only been in the house for about two years, and I'm not gonna be able to replace it for a while.

I AM getting rid of the carpeting, hopefully this fall. Carpet (and padding) is a LOT of material that seems to hold the smoke smell. I ran the carpet cleaner in the dining room last week; it smelled like carpet cleaner for a day or two, but the smoke smell started to break thru. Now it smells like smoke with carpet cleaner undertones, lol.

Skitty

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
United Kingdom

Steam is the best. If you can pick up one of those steam cleaner mops, zap everything with it. Most of the odour will be deep in the fabric where those deodorisers won't get to, and while washing on a high heat wash will sort things like clothes and bedding, carpets and sofas might be kinda hard to fineagle into the washing machine. :)

And remember the walls! Unless you worked in a bar and had to clean mirrors/pictures pre smoking ban, you have no idea how much yuk is caked onto your seemingly clean ceiling/walls. Good dose of bleach for the ceiling, some soapy water and elbow grease for painted walls, and a careful water clean over time for non-washable paper.

dbodin

Sep 7, 2013
Texas
Ok so I went to the movies the other day, and its the first time in a LONG time that i've actually sat through the entire movie.
Before I would have to get up halfway and go outside to smoke a cigarette. i'm really having trouble understanding what kept me on them to begin with. they stink, they are really expensive, they make me feel like crap, and they really are a chore.

Another great day to be smoke free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread