trouble breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I haven't smoked an analog since July 24, 2012. I have been vaping. When I was smoking, I didn't have any trouble breathing. For the past few days approx 3 days, I have had a terrible time breathing. My ribs and upper back hurt, and I feel like I am straining to take in air. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? Maybe a reaction to the pg?

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Could be a reaction to PG, could be dehydration.
Not an expert, but just a guess.
I've heard reactions to PG and dehydration are very common problems when people first switch over.

Start by drinking lots of water (lots) and then see if that helps after a day or two.
Then switch to VG if it doesn't.
worse comes to worse take a break from vaping. Your lungs are pretty important :3

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
Could be a reaction to PG, could be dehydration.
Not an expert, but just a guess.
I've heard reactions to PG and dehydration are very common problems when people first switch over.

Start by drinking lots of water (lots) and then see if that helps after a day or two.
Then switch to VG if it doesn't.
worse comes to worse take a break from vaping. Your lungs are pretty important :3

Totally agree...

amerirish44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello ..you should surely see your dr. or go to er if you are feeling these type of symptoms as I have copd and have had severe broncheal attacks and waalking pnumonia which is what thos symptoms sound like....I am not a dr but surely know to see the dr when it feels like bricks on my chest..upper back hurts in ..really I don't want to scarwe you but better safe than sorry.....good luck..take care...could totally be unrelated to vaping!

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Hello ..you should surely see your dr. or go to er if you are feeling these type of symptoms as I have copd and have had severe broncheal attacks and waalking pnumonia which is what thos symptoms sound like....I am not a dr but surely know to see the dr when it feels like bricks on my chest..upper back hurts in ..really I don't want to scarwe you but better safe than sorry.....good luck..take care...could totally be unrelated to vaping!

It could be unrelated, but I wanted to ask because I haven't had these before I started vaping. I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has had these type of symptoms before with vaping because it started after I quit smoking.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Hi 1lasttime and I'm sorry about your issues. What PG/ VG ratio are you vaping? As mentioned earlier dehydration can do some strange things to our bodies. I drink 1 1/2 liters per day.

To be honest, I dont know what I started out with. It was V2 Cartomizers 6mg nic which were lights. I am now vaping 70/30 pg/vg. We did quite a bit of research and saw that in mixing this was the best way to go so the cartos wont get gunked up.

I just started on the 70/30 today, though as our juices just came in.

My partner and i were talking I told her about the dehydration and she said it makes sense considering pg has a "drying" effect. Would stand to reason it could to this to the lungs.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
I don't know that I have seen trouble breathing tied to dehydration before.

That reminds me, I need a glass of water.

Simple google search:
When the body reaches 10% fluid loss emergency help is needed IMMEDIATELY! 10% fluid loss and above is often fatal! Symptoms of severe dehydration include:

Muscle spasms
Vomiting
Racing pulse
Shriveled skin
Dim vision
Painful urination
Confusion
Difficulty breathing
Seizures
Chest and Abdominal pain
unconsciousness
Symptoms of Dehydration | Signs of Dehydration

There are certain conditions that can affect a large number of systems in your body, which can be a reason why they're so hard to pinpoint.
Dehydration for example, and also, things that affect your bodies main systems to produce hormones (hypothalamus, thyroid glands)

To OP: seriously, start drinking water right now. Get a gatorade or two to replace vital salts and chug some water. maybe eat a meal
edit: also, eat a banana

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
You quit smoking two weeks ago. Symptoms are not uncommon, I had something happen when I quit. Mucus production increases during the first few weeks of quitting, part of the healing process. (regardless of the method used to quit) Coughs become more productive and the phlegm will get more clear overtime. 2 months in and the smokers cough will disappear altogether. If severe and/or you are not coughing anything up you may want to consult a doc. Lungs are congested which could be a reaction to PG or VG or more commonly part of the healing process. Taking a decongestant/expectorant could not hurt.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
To be honest, I dont know what I started out with. It was V2 Cartomizers 6mg nic which were lights.
Not knocking V2 but I read about lottsa issues with prefilled. V2 juices are anywhere from 60 PG to 80 PG.
I just started on the 70/30 today, though as our juices just came in.
The standards are either 70/ 30 or 80/ 20 PG/ VG so you're good to go. I vape 70/ 30.
My partner and i were talking I told her about the dehydration and she said it makes sense considering pg has a "drying" effect. Would stand to reason it could to this to the lungs.
Our lungs are the most damaged area from smoking. the body needs extra water to aid in the repair process. When vaping most of the moisture that turns into vapor comes from our mouth and throat. Your body is taking fluids from other areas to replenish the water.
"PG is a humectant and attracts/ traps the water in our mouth, thrat and nasal area and thus the vapor.
When I first began vaping I knew all about dehydration but I wanted to test that info. Continued drinking 10+ cups java per day, Coca Cola ( caffeine dehydrates also after 4 cups per day), no water....after about 2? weeks I had:
sore throat
body aches
mouth ulcers
dry itchy skin
dry nasal passage with slight bleeding
juices tasted horrible
hair was dry
finger/ toenails dry and brittle
Just all round didn't feel good at all. Time to begin hydrating, cut my java down to 3 cups and cut back my Coca Cola....in about 3 days all was good again. I now start my day with a tall glass of water and also a tall glass of water before bed. Down to 3 cups java and as for Coca Cola LOLLLLL I can't stand the taste.
Good Luck to you and your partner.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I went through roughly the same thing you did for about a week not so long ago. Smoked my last cigarette in late June for reference.

I had a tightness in my lungs. My breathing felt heavy and somewhat strained. I was a little concerned about it so I talked to a friend who had been off the analogs for about 6 months. He sent me a very comprehensive list of symptoms that he went through in the first few months after quitting. He also experienced the tightness, heavy breathing as well as some other symptoms. They all went away in time. I decided to see if my situation would improve after a few days and sure enough everything is back to normal.

I admit it's strange to have heavy breathing after you quit smoking but I've had a few strange things happen. Then again now that I think back to the time I quit with the pills I had the same thing happen in regards to the breathing.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Not knocking V2 but I read about lottsa issues with prefilled. V2 juices are anywhere from 60 PG to 80 PG.

The standards are either 70/ 30 or 80/ 20 PG/ VG so you're good to go. I vape 70/ 30.

Our lungs are the most damaged area from smoking. the body needs xtra water to aid in the repair process. When vaping most of the moisture that turns into vapor comes from our mouth and throat. Your body is taking fluids from other areas to replenish the water.
"PG is a humectant and attracts/ traps the water in our bodies an thus the vapor.
When I first began vaping I knew all about dehydration but I wanted to test that info. Continued drinking 10+ cups java per day, Coca Cola ( caffeine dehydrates also after 4 cups per day), no water....after about 2? weeks I had:
sore throat
body aches
mouth ulcers
dry itchy skin
juices tasted horrible
hair was dry
finger/ toenails dry and brittle
Just all round didn't feel good at all. Time to begin hydrating, cut my java down to 3 cups and cut back my Coca Cola....in about 3 days all was good again. I now start my day with a tall glass of water and also a tall glass of water before bed. Down to 3 cups java and as for Coca Cola LOLLLLL I can't stand the taste.
Good Luck to you and your partner.

I am drinking more water and will be in the future. I guess I didnt think about my body needing MORE water. It is a good idea. I will be doing this for the next few days and see how I feel.

I am not trying to blame my symptoms on vaping. I just wanted everyone to know that. I was just trying to see if anyone else had these same symptoms.

Thanks to everyone for all their information they have provided! I really appreciate it!!!! :)

Dominicanto

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2012
New York City
I had back pain,chest pain, headaches and mucus that just didn't stop (sorry for the visuals) after I quit smoking. And it wasn't immediate, almost two weeks in. I blamed it on a possible switch to PG or that I was vaping too much and a number of other reasons that, thankfully, didn't pan out as the reason was squarely due to not smoking. Remember, there are chemicals in analogs that work to numb your throat and passages to the effect of the smoke and other carcinogens entering your body. Quit smoking, the body starts to recuperate and goes on an auto-detox program to fix itself. It will also mean that vaping and the dehydration effects of vapor will be much more pronounced as your body has no way to numb itself as it would with analogs. After week 3, I was back to vaping fine and most of my symptoms had started to dissipate. You will need to drink PLENTY of water, you might even think it excessive, but listen to your body and give it what it needs. If a break from vaping is necessary, do that, too. The whole point of vaping is getting healthier, by doing something that is better (though, not best) for you than smoking and there'll be some pain to it, but I promise short lived.

All that said, the usual disclaimer (and an important one) still applies: check with your doctor and don't take chances with your health. We're all here to help you make this transition - congrats on making the switch and best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread