Ugh...yet another scare...

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
My son is a fan of the Electronic Dance Music producer Rob Swire. Well, Mr. Swire went deaf in his left ear a few days ago and very publicly blamed e-cigs -more specifically, propylene glycol. [REMOVED] You can see his other tweets if you are so inclined.

This is exactly how BS gets spread. Somehow, he came up with a connection and spread the word around. He seems to be missing some key facts:

1)PG is regularly consumed in many many foods and beverages everyday by millions of people. No deafness has been associated with such use.

2)Yes, some studies have shown damage to ears when PG is used in the form of ear drops. However, those were in drops directly applied to the ear canal and they caused permanent damage.

3)His deafness lasted 4 days. This indicates to me and my doctor wife that he had one of a number of problems, ear infection being the most likely but there are many other causes that have nothing to do with PG and could potentially be very serious.

I'm just SMH at this kind of thing. I understand that we don't know all the risks of inhaling PG. But we do know that it is GRAS when in food products. Thus, I can't see any biological mechanism that would increase risk to the ears from inhalation as opposed to ingestion. How do we combat this kind of thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I'd never heard of that guy before. Overhyped DJs are a dime a dozen, so that's probably a good reason why.

So now DJs are medical professionals also, who are capable of self diagnosing various issues that they may have? DJs, who are continuosly exposed to very loud music in clubs and other venues didn't think to look at the most obvious cause, and they ignorantly blame vaping?

What has this Dj been doing, pouring E-Juice directly into their ears?

This guy will probably go deaf sooner or later. Many DJs and musicians who expose their ears to years of loud music will develop hearing problems. And when this guy does go deaf, I'm pretty sure that vaping will not have been the cause.

mojofilter

Mar 10, 2015
Florida, USA
Here's your sign, pal.

Do you remember the days when, if some celebrity had something idiotic to say, they would have to say it to a reporter, who could ask them to elaborate on why they thought their uninformed opinion should be news? And then it would have to pass the scrutiny of an editor before being deemed worthy of dissemination by a radio/TV or print outlet? Those barriers no longer exist, and anyone, anywhere can tell the world what an idiot he is in the blink of an eye. I kinda miss the days when you didn't have to know how stupid so many people are. It's disheartening.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Looking at that Twitter link, his picture shows him standing very close to a very large speaker .......

This was my exact first thought, and Electronic Dance Music I imagine is that uuumph uumph uumph fist pumping bass stuff. That's probably therapeutic to your ears though. I know that truck I had with the giant subwoofers and 1000w amps in it when I was younger helped my hearing immensely. And it lead me to my two favorite words "huh" and "what". :lol:

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
You sure can, and then you too can have thousands of people misinformed and believing what you say that then tell thousands of others.

By the way... I'm pretty sure that my having cataracts were caused by my vaping... I mean I didn't actually get them until I was into vaping so it must have been the vaping to cause them.

Not.

My guess is that this guy went to a doctor who misdiagnosed him and exclaimed that it must be the PG (ingredients) in his vaping liquid that had caused this. Maybe he didn't want to tell him that his temporary deafness was because he doesn't clean out his ears good enough or because of his profession etc. Millions of possibilities, but that it is the PG that caused it when he likely works in environments that have foggers..... Yeah, my nose smells something fishy with his story.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Do you remember the days when, if some celebrity had something idiotic to say, they would have to say it to a reporter, who could ask them to elaborate on why they thought their uninformed opinion should be news?
The sad part is the media now looks to social media to find horse spit like this to sensationalize. This jackwaon will likely become a household name in his area because of this bs. :facepalm:

Reactions: NOVA jon

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I experienced sudden hearing loss in my right ear with severe vertigo several years ago and was very sick. I was basically unable to care for myself, so yeah, very sick. Lots of trips to the hospital for tests, MRI's, CAT scans, numerous blood tests and all tests came back negative for anything. Finding a cause for sudden hearing loss is sometimes not possible as it was in my case and as sick as I was I thought for sure it had to be a tumor or something equally as scary, nope. Even my family doc thought it was bad news when he first saw me. Whatever it was took me down hard and did do some damage. I experience random bouts of tinnitus and vertigo. This all began in 2003 and I've been back a few times more for different tests with a neurologist and audiologist and still have not figured out the cause, all we know is that my right side is damaged. For this guy to just off handedly blame PG is ludicrous. I vape like a fiend and it has not once aggravated my situation.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I tweeted at him and asked if he knew he wasn't supposed to pour the juice in his ear. He blocked me and reported me. I'm now under review by the twitter gods. Lol!

That's hilarious!:thumbs:

Somebody should report him for spreading ignorance on Twitter and for contributing to the downfall and stupidity of humanity.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
I tweeted at him and asked if he knew he wasn't supposed to pour the juice in his ear. He blocked me and reported me. I'm now under review by the twitter gods. Lol!

You could always email the twitter gods and tell them it must have been the PG in your e-liquid that made you do it. ;)

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Maybe someone needs to tell him he's vaping wrong. Don't stick your mod in your ear...

I'd suggest he stick it up his :censored:

stupid.jpg

Reactions: DavidOck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread