Ulcers anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
If you mean cold sores, those are viral. Not caused by e-cigs unless that's how you caught the virus (by sharing a mouthpiece). The infection is a mild form of herpes, so it comes and goes. The cold sore you get today isn't really new, it's likely the same infection as last time, and the time before, and so on. It was just hiding and came back. Although I suppose since PG dries out the tissues in the mouth and throat, it could prompt or at least enable an outbreak of an existing infection.

But of course I'm not a doctor, so what do I know? :D

momswann

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
If you mean cold sores, those are viral. Not caused by e-cigs unless that's how you caught the virus (by sharing a mouthpiece). The infection is a mild form of herpes, so it comes and goes. The cold sore you get today isn't really new, it's likely the same infection as last time, and the time before, and so on. It was just hiding and came back. Although I suppose since PG dries out the tissues in the mouth and throat, it could prompt or at least enable an outbreak of an existing infection.

Mouth ulcers are not the same as the herpes virus you are talking about. I, too, have gotten some mild mouth ulcers since vaping. Herpes sores usually tingle before breakout and people who get them can tell they are getting them. Can be brought on by stress, sun, illness etc. Just like genital herpes. Also, are usually on the outside of the mouth, around the lips.

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
Yes I've had them as well. I'm not overly concerned by them though. The booklet that came with my Nicorette Inhalator has this line in it:

"When you stop smoking, you may experience mouth ulcers. The reason why this happens is unknown."

So it sounds like something specific to quitting rather than e-cigs in particular.

They died down after a couple of months.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
For those who might be interested....my son-in-law had a mouth sore that just would not go away so I found this stuff called Prevention at Walgreens (in the toothpaste/mouthwash aisle). It is an antibacterial mouth rinse, containing zinc and hydrogen peroxide.

It says it "helps fight herpes virus and thrush, and helps heal mouth sores". He said it didn't burn and everything healed right up.

Might work on these, if interested in trying.

Lu

When I quit temporarily a while ago, I went to the dentist because my gums were bleeding, swollen. He said that nicotine and the other crap in cigs decrease blood flow to the mouth, and when you stop the blood flow increases again, causing any issues you may have with plaque or gum disease, to trigger gum swelling and eventually bleeding.

Since this time around, Ive had the ulcers too, but less so than before quitting cold turkey, and less gum inflamation as well. So Im assuming the lack of crap in e-cigs makes it flare up a bit, but the continuing of nicotine keeps it from getting as bad as it was before.

Not a doctor, not sure, just my thoughts.

I have a couple of ulcers which have come up today in pretty much the same place Tex explains and assumed it was from vaping yesterday more than I usually would and pulling harder on my e-cig than I would with an analogue ciggy. I'll gargle with some diluted hydrogen peroxide tonight and hopefully that'll help clear them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread