US House Appropriations Cmte bill would prevent FDA from banning e-cigs now on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Really good news!
So, even if there's pushback in the rest of the House, the issue will get a lot of light shown on it. And then the Senate...the President... lots of opportunity for awareness and discussion. A chance to fight the propaganda with people actually tuned in.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
So basically, we won a battle, but the war goes on?
Even so, this is a good day.

It's going to be a long war with a lot of battles. The Republicans are trying to defund or change many of Obama's policies. For them, the deeming rule is relatively small issue. We need to step up our efforts to make our opinions known to our representatives and educate the public.

Does anyone know if anything is happening with this in the Senate?

Ardo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
I'm a little worried that the real motivation behind blocking this bill might be less about vaping and more about blocking every piece of legislation that the Obama administaration is working on.

It was 26-23 vote, right? The next time power balance shifts in another committee we may need a lot more educated legislators actually willing to fight for the right thing.

Right now this seems more like blind luck.

Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Well, I recently read somewhere....don't remember.....that the people of Greece only pay a tenth of what they owe in taxes. How they do that I don't know, but also read that the shops in Greece prefer cash transactions over credit cards. Have been threatening to do that for a few yrs. now because of all the identity thefts, etc. plus nosy gov. agencies. :( Seems we've given up privacy for the convenience of credit cards.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It's going to be a long war with a lot of battles. The Republicans are trying to defund or change many of Obama's policies. For them, the deeming rule is relatively small issue. We need to step up our efforts to make our opinions known to our representatives and educate the public.

Yeah, I think it's a small issue for the Republicans and a huge issue for the Democrats. That works against us, but maybe not entirely, seeing how it might get voters to look more closely at the issue, especially Republican voters.
Does anyone know if anything is happening with this in the Senate?

I think the Senate Democrats vowed to fillibuster it if it reaches them, but if I understand correctly, this vote yesterday takes it out of the Appropriations Committee, and onto the House floor for a full vote there.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm a little worried that the real motivation behind blocking this bill might be less about vaping and more about blocking every piece of legislation that the Obama administaration is working on.

If it wasn't for that Rep. Cole bill that changes the date, I'd completely agree with you on that. So, I guess I'm about 80% in agreement.

It was 26-23 vote, right? The next time power balance shifts in another committee we may need a lot more educated legislators actually willing to fight for the right thing.

Right now this seems more like blind luck.

80% blind. IOW, legally blind.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Just received this Email in response to a Petition Signature Email I sent to Representative Ed Whitlfield of Kentucky...

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 2058, the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015. This legislation was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee for consideration.

On April 25, 2014, the FDA proposed a rule that would extend the Agency's tobacco authority to cover additional tobacco products, such as e-cigarettes, "deemed" subject to its regulation. The FDA's rule would require manufacturers of newly deemed tobacco products to register with the FDA, report product and ingredient listings, market new products only after FDA review, and not distribute free samples. The proposed grandfather date, February 15, 2007, subjects tobacco products brought to market after that date to FDA premarket review requirements.

According to the bill's author, H.R. 2058 would extend the grandfather date for newly deemed tobacco products to the date the regulation is finalized. I agree that the Agency's proposed grandfather date creates an inequity between currently regulated tobacco products and newly deemed tobacco products. Setting the grandfather date concurrent with the rule being finalized seems like a reasonable approach that would prevent an unwarranted regulatory barrier to innovation, while also ensuring these newly deemed tobacco products are safe for consumers. For these reasons, I decided to co-sponsor this legislation and look forward to working with my colleagues to advance it in the House of Representatives.

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Email response received from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell;

Thank you for contacting me regarding the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058). Hearing your views helps me better represent Kentucky in the United States.

As you know, H.R. 2058 was introduced to the House by Rep. Tom Cole on April 28th, 2015. This bill would amend the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act to address the need for a grandfather date that would encompass newly deemed tobacco products, such as vapor cigarettes.

It may interest you to know that as of May 1st 2015, this bill has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health for further consideration. While I am not a member on this committee, you can be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the 114th Congress proceeds.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you would like to receive periodic updates from my office, please sign up for my eNewsletter at
http://mcconnell.senate.gov/, become a fan of my page on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/mitchmcconnell or follow my office on Twitter @McConnellPress.

Sincerely,
mcconnell_sig.png

MITCH McCONNELL
UNITED STATES SENATOR

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
+1 on Mitch's pitifully ambiguous "Cookie-Cutter" Reply. Waste of good Bandwidth at best.

At least Ed, although still Caving, explained his Position on being for the Grand-Father date being extended to when the Crap actually passes.

None the Less,,, an "In-Roads" for the Regulate, Restrict, Tax & Spend Enemies of Freedom. Quite smart though, they ask for the World (never really wanting or intending to get it), Demonize the Target till Public Sentiment buys the "Evil" they have falsely labeled & lashed to the Stake, and raise a Ruckus till other Legislators Cave to their seemingly benign & altruistic Scheme. When the Objective is breached and Entry has been achieved, their Talons are free to grab hold. Once they have pierced the Skin of Liberty, they tighten their invasive Grasp until they bleed it, and those formally safe within it, out quite efficiently.
An Insidious Lot playing their devastating Games directly from Marx's Playbook. The Incremental usurping of Individual Rights & Freedoms right up the Gut.
Insult to Injury,,, they bleed our Wallets in doing so to further fund the myriad of other such Eviscerations and Bribes paid to the Lemmings to keep them docile and Indentured.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
you can be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the 114th Congress proceeds.

As Katt points out, this is a common phrase in replies from representatives. I like to highlight this and reply with "you can be assured that I will keep your actions regarding this in mind at the next election."

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
None the Less,,, an "In-Roads" for the Regulate, Restrict, Tax & Spend Enemies of Freedom. Quite smart though, they ask for the World (never really wanting or intending to get it), Demonize the Target till Public Sentiment buys the "Evil" they have falsely labeled & lashed to the Stake, and raise a Ruckus till other Legislators Cave to their seemingly benign & altruistic Scheme. When the Objective is breached and Entry has been achieved, their Talons are free to grab hold. Once they have pierced the Skin of Liberty, they tighten their invasive Grasp until they bleed it, and those formally safe within it, out quite efficiently.

An Insidious Lot playing their devastating Games directly from Marx's Playbook. The Incremental usurping of Individual Rights & Freedoms right up the Gut.

Insult to Injury,,, they bleed our Wallets in doing so to further fund the myriad of other such Eviscerations and Bribes paid to the Lemmings to keep them docile and Indentured.
Sounds exactly like what Tobacco Control has done over the last three or four decades...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It does make one wonder how they derived the "playbook" that they've been using.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As Katt points out, this is a common phrase in replies from representatives. I like to highlight this and reply with "you can be assured that I will keep your actions regarding this in mind at the next election."
I've never received a reply from ANY representative that did NOT say this.
It's pretty much standard boilerplate material nowadays.
:mad:

Strangely, I feel no "assurance" whatsoever from such replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I've never received a reply from ANY representative that did NOT say this.
It's pretty much standard boilerplate material nowadays.
:mad:

Strangely, I feel no "assurance" whatsoever from such replies.

Agreed, but I feel a bit of assurance knowing that people are contacting legislators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread