Using your PV while pumping gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that on oil rigs and fume laden areas cellphones are a no go unless they are the Motorola sealed devices.
Basicly anything with a spark and or chance of arching is not safe around gas fumes.

I would be more worried about poly wool nylon static charge over a phone near a gas pump.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
I know that on oil rigs and fume laden areas cellphones are a no go unless they are the Motorola sealed devices.
Basicly anything with a spark and or chance of arching is not safe around gas fumes.

I would be more worried about poly wool nylon static charge over a phone near a gas pump.

Please, can we not start this again? No cell phone has EVER started a fire at a gas station, anywhere, anytime, throughout history, including scientific experiments trying to CAUSE fires with cell phones.

The real problem is static electricity caused by getting in and out of your vehicle, which is what the placards warn against. The petroleum safety organization that makes the placards will even tell you this.

Please, can we not do this again?

Dirtybutts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
West Point, New York
I was more directing this at the people talking about cell phones.

If you want to delete, pm a mod. I think you're supposed to be able to lock your own threads now using the thread tools (right hand side at the top).

NP I should have searched this before posting..Didnt know it had been brought up before.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
In a different but similar vein, what about people on oxygen in their homes? Problem with vaping? Didn't know if this had been tossed out before but figured if it had been it could get answered again and tossed to the side with the gas station question. Two birds, one stone kinda thing.

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
I'd leave the thread active. I just tried searching for the other threads that have discussed this and they didn't turn up on the first page of results using "gas tank" and "pumping" as the search terms.

There are dozens of threads on this site that contain comments or questions posted multiple times. With the number of new members joining the site, it seem easier to me to let threads like this get some play because many will see it who might not have even thought to ask the question in the first place. If the question's already been asked before and you've already read a thread about it a while ago, just click on another thread.

Now, I'm off to post my new thread: "What's your favorite e-liquid flavor?"....I think no one's posted that one yet.....

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
It is completely safe, the mythbusters did a full episode on gas station explosions, and short of putting a match near the tank itself your fine, but i dont recommend it for the sake that people are would not see it as safe as it truly is.

I don't care what the mythbusters say. The e-cig atty coil gets hotter than the flash point of gasoline vapor. An explosion is unlikely, but not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread