Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
In the past, I have sent some packages through UPS to my son in Maryland. I chose UPS because I didn't have to stand in line there, they had boxes right there they could pack up for me, the item was delivered in 2 days....3 max....and they had online tracking.

The other day I went to USPS to ship the items I had sold here. I asked for priority mail and tracking info. Of course they charged extra for both. But lo and behold, I couldn't track neither one of those packages for the life of me! It didn't seem like they were "moving" at all.

I went back to the PO to ship the SD I sold and asked for the same thing. But I told the clerk of the problem I had with the tracking. She said that with priority mail, you basically only get delivery confirmation...it is not required they be scanned at each destination....only when initially accepted and then when delivered.

She added that Express Mail (like overnight) actually has tracking info. What a bunch of crap that is!

Then she added that if you print a shipping label off your computer, it doesn't mean it was shipped. The shipper has x number of days to then ship the item or the label is no good. I suspect a lot of suppliers use this method too. So when we see the PO has been "electronically notified", that doesn't mean our order has actually been shipped. So feasibly, someone could print a label and not really ship it...as long as they do so before the cutoff.

And here we sit and wait. What a sucky system!

I've heard that UPS ground has become slower as well. I think a lot of it depends on shipping distance though....from NY to MD might be good but to CA might be a whole different ballgame.

I don't know who already knows this but I am just sharing something new I learned. It does explain a lot of things for me though when it comes to waiting for my deliveries :-x

Lu

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Lu,

YUP,

USPS No Tracking, Delivery Confirmation After It Was Delivery Only, Thats Only if they scanned like their suppose to (each delivery person is suppose to have a scanner, or they may scan it in the AM at the delivery towns Post Office.

But to Get The USPS Delivery Confirmation Number You Have to pay For It With The Postage.

NY to Cal UPS is About 5 Biz Days as long as its not a rural location.

Keep Vapin!

Last edited:

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
USPS Priority is pretty reliable. They deliver in 2-4 days most anywhere in the country. I am in Florida and have sent packages to the west coast that arrive in three days. Can't beat that service or the price; partiuclarly with flat rate shipping envelopes or boxes. No, the tracking is 18th Century, but the products get delivered 99.9% of the time for me.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Does anyone know how FedEx or DHL compare with shipping times? I remember ordering my APC from CA and it was here in 2 days through DHL....but it's also possible that company had branches in other states...I don't know. But that sure was quick shipping for what was it....$6.99?

Lu

Lu,

Yes, But Sometimes Companies Drop Ship To and they Use the sellers address on the label, so it could of shipped from NJ for example, ie Newegg Drop Ships from all over the US.

I did not bother with posting about DHL due to they suck anyways (for me anyways).

balldope

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Northern New Jersey - USA
Our USPS out here in farm country ( yes we still have lots of farms in NJ ) is bad with updating the tracking info. They scan it in as delivered when it gets to their office. It's always nice to see you got a delivery before the mail even comes. They have also lost or miss delivered a few packages, we do get other peoples stuff on occasion.

ProStreet

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
Montgomery county Maryland
Costs $4.80 to ship through USPS priority and it normaly takes no more than 2 to 3 POSTAL buisness days to receive the item which includes saturdays. Walk in and grab a hand full of priority envelopes and create an online shipping profile. Print your label and put it on the envelope and put your items in there wrapped up nicely. Walk in and drop it in the priority box and leave. Its that simple. No lines no fuss super simple. From MD to NY most of the time people receive the package the next day if you drop it off in the morning.

Jayhawks

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
MO/KAN USA
midwestvapor.com
Our USPS out here in farm country ( yes we still have lots of farms in NJ ) is bad with updating the tracking info. They scan it in as delivered when it gets to their office. It's always nice to see you got a delivery before the mail even comes. They have also lost or miss delivered a few packages, we do get other peoples stuff on occasion.

I work for USPS as a fill in carrier. When the package arrives at the dock it should get scanned as recieved. Last I knew that was just for internal tracking. When I take the package to your house I have to scan the package. When I get back to the office I have to place my scanner in a dock and it uploads everything I scanned today. I think some offices have newer scanners and they may upload via satellite so its real time.

As far as your stuff showing delivered before you get it. I would guess your carrier is scanning his packages as he loads his truck in the morning that prevents him from missing a scan. If you fail to scan items, at the end of the month you get a report with how many scans you missed. Then that ... chewing starts. USPS frowns on missed scans. I know alot of carriers that scan the packages right in the office as they are loading up for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread