Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I've found that people I know who never smoked are HAPPY that I quit smoking, and have nothing against the fact that I'm vaping to stay off the cigs. They think it's great that it helped me. However, people I know that quit smoking cold turkey (my mother and a couple of my siblings) STILL think I "smoke." I guess because it looks like smoking, plus if THEY were strong enough to quit cold turkey, then I'm somehow "less" in their eyes because I couldn't. The end result is I no longer smoke, and that should be all that matters. But the ex-smokers have this idea in their head that anyone who still smokes (or vapes) is somehow a lesser person than their high and mighty royal highnesses. (And THAT crap has been happening all my life, it's nothing new.)

Now, to be honest, I don't know that many people anymore, but that's how it shakes out for me.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
My hubby is a non vaper but an ex smoker. He does not get vaping, he says just quit smoking and be done with it. When the deeming regs came out and I started getting upset & stocked up, he said what's the frustration, just give up vaping! I said no way, I love to vape and the FDA is not stopping me. Anyone else going thru this?

He seems to take no interest in your interest. He also seems to Assume since he could do something anyone can. Was it really so simple. Is Life one size fits all.

I hope the rest of your relationship is more balanced. :(

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've found that people I know who never smoked are HAPPY that I quit smoking, and have nothing against the fact that I'm vaping to stay off the cigs. They think it's great that it helped me. However, people I know that quit smoking cold turkey (my mother and a couple of my siblings) STILL think I "smoke." I guess because it looks like smoking, plus if THEY were strong enough to quit cold turkey, then I'm somehow "less" in their eyes because I couldn't. The end result is I no longer smoke, and that should be all that matters. But the ex-smokers have this idea in their head that anyone who still smokes (or vapes) is somehow a lesser person than their high and mighty royal highnesses. (And THAT crap has been happening all my life, it's nothing new.)

Now, to be honest, I don't know that many people anymore, but that's how it shakes out for me.

The funny thing is that by vaping some PG and nicotine, you may be less prone to illnesses and retain better brain function as you age than the cold turkey quitters. All while having some pleasant fun vaping!

Sara Love

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
My husband who might have a cigar once every couple of years is totally supportive and understands my frustration. My family and friends (some ex smokers and some never smoked) totally do not. They keep saying just quit and be done with it, then it won't matter what happens. Yeah right..

My ultimate goal is to get down to 0 nic and eventually stop, but right now that ain't happening. My response to the unsupportive people: if I were to quit tomorrow and felt the urge to smoke/vape which would you prefer I did? Because if I bought a pack of smokes, game over, I would be right back to smoking.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My husband who might have a cigar once every couple of years is totally supportive and understands my frustration. My family and friends (some ex smokers and some never smoked) totally do not. They keep saying just quit and be done with it, then it won't matter what happens. Yeah right..

My ultimate goal is to get down to 0 nic and eventually stop, but right now that ain't happening. My response to the unsupportive people: if I were to quit tomorrow and felt the urge to smoke/vape which would you prefer I did? Because if I bought a pack of smokes, game over, I would be right back to smoking.
I've been vaping zero nicotine for the last five months.
Not by choice, but because of insurance company extortion efforts.

But that does not stop me from facing off with the quit or die folks.
Whether they be family, friends, or hardcore ANTZ types.

This whole thing is so deep, and so ugly, that it keeps me awake at night.
And in the end, I know WE are the ONLY ones that have this right.

Everyone else is full of the crap they've been fed.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I am excited to say that my wife quit smoking a couple of weeks ago due to a bad cough/cold and started vaping full time yesterday.

I took her to a vape expo yesterday (on my anniversary, ain't I a romantic?) and had her try a couple hundred juices. Turns out she loves juices I hate. Grape, coffee, etc. We found a few juices she loved and stocked up. I gave her two Provaris and loaded up two Nautilus Minis with her favorites.

Fingers crossed, but I think she is going to stick with vaping.

Happy anniversary!

I think a nice vape expo sounds pretty romantic :)

My anniversary is tomorrow, I'm thinking nothing says I love you like a shiny, new standalone freezer :|

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Yes my hubby has his own hobbies and I am happy for that! He really doesn't care what I do as long as I pay for it and he is thrilled I quit smoking, he just doesn't get vaping and that a little Nic is actually good for an aging brain :) That's what I tell him, I am warding off dementia LOL Plus everyone needs a hobby, I actually have quite a few!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
One of my relapses came after 10 years. That won't happen again. May be I could stop vaping without relapsing to cigs. But why should I? I wouldn't save any money. My cost of ingredients for a year of DIY is less than $30. I've settled on one rda. I'd only need two mods I like but now there's stockpiling to think about, sigh.

Vaping is allowed on my shop floor at work. That is a big incentive to switch. The number of vapers is increasing. Lately the vapers congregate at break. The smokers don't do that any more. So things are cool at work. Nobody bothers me at home. After that I'm out and about on the bike. Sometimes people are curious but I usually stop the bike away from crowds.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I'm around all types of people with their opinions I didn't ask for & I could care less what they think about me vaping or vaping as a subject.

Practice this facial expression perfected by Jack. It works for me, they go away ... :D

latest

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
My hubby is very supportive. He has never been a smoker or a vaper. He's just happy that I gave up the smokes!

My hubby is the same. Sometimes he even shares some of the provaping stuff that I post on FB. Sometimes he even signs those things that I send around.

When I first got upset about the deeming, he checked it out and said it doesn't sound that bad. At first look, it doesn't. I told him about the PMTA's that would have to be filed and the cost it would entail. I told him about how the date rolls back to 2007 and nothing that we use currently would be allowed. He went back and started digging in the regulations. He got .......

He said, just today, that he agrees that there should be no selling to minors... I told him that 48 states already have that on the books. I said redundant much? He said then how are kids getting ecigs? Then thought about what he just said and realized it's the same way they get cigarettes.

He also agreed with my point of view that I would rather them experiment with ecigs than cigarettes. Most times it is 0 nic that they are using. Once the fad wears off, they aren't addicted to the many chemicals that make up the addictive properties of traditional cigarettes.

Sorry for the rant..... :oops:

/me steps off soap box

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Sometimes he even shares some of theprovaping stuff that I post on FB.
Sometimes he even signs those things that I send around.
He went back and started digging in the regulations. He got .......
He also agreed with my point of view that I would rather them experiment with ecigs than cigarettes.
So you married someone reasonable.
That's a lot better than marrying some nutcake.

Two reasonable people can agree to disagree.
And if they are VERY reasonable, they may come to an actual agreement over time.

But if one person is unreasonable?
Well, divorce rates are pretty high these days.

Being unreasonable is a very bad thing.
Sort of like being an ANTZ.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
What about the possibility of understanding each others views?

That is a better option than trying to convince someone who cannot be convinced. As long as the different opinions don't disturb anything in your life except "my significant other doesn't get vaping" then I'd say it's not much of an issue. If it's effecting your quality of life and vaping habits then there might be an issue.

:2c:

Reactions: Cacique

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
My hubby is a non vaper but an ex smoker. He does not get vaping, he says just quit smoking and be done with it. When the deeming regs came out and I started getting upset & stocked up, he said what's the frustration, just give up vaping! I said no way, I love to vape and the FDA is not stopping me. Anyone else going thru this?

Hubby sounds a bit judgmental and holier-than-thou. Now that he's quit smoking, he's become an anti-smoker with no empathy on the subject. :glare:

I can't stand people like that. Next time he starts preaching at ya about it, smack him upside the head. ;)

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Hubby sounds a bit judgmental and holier-than-thou. Now that he's quit smoking, he's become an anti-smoker with no empathy on the subject. :glare:

I can't stand people like that. Next time he starts preaching at ya on the subject, smack him upside the head. ;)

LOL!!!!

Reactions: 7sixtwo

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Hubby is a non-smoker, was born into a smoking household and married a smoker however. Yeah, glutton for punishment he is. ;) He's thrilled that I quit, does vape once in a blue moon, mainly for the flavors since he has a thing for food and it shows. Sometimes he even uses nicotine in the juice. Guess what? No addiction! :p :D

He's the one that insisted I stock up, during the court case no less. When I went to buying again just before the deeming came out, his comment was "didn't you already stock up for several years?" My answer was "yes, several years ago." :laugh: And, that stopped that conversation in it's tracks. Needless to say, he's pretty supportive. :)

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I am very fortunate that my partner is completely supportive. Every so often he will make me stop to think about what I really want to spend, but frankly I consider that a positive. I would do the same thing with the size of some of my orders, especially now.

Although my partner is also an ex-smoker/half vaper, so there's that. I'm by far the bigger vaper though. He vapes because I do and because I don't want him smoking. He's not a hobbyist and I'm responsible for orders and keeping everything working.

Reactions: bnrkwest

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
My SO is very supportive of my vaping, and has encouraged me to get some extra mods and tanks. The nic is an issue without a freezer, but I'm mostly off so I'm still figuring that out.

My parents however do not get it. They veiw it as the same as smoking. They also believe I "smoke more now.". I came from being a hookah smoker with the ocassional cigs and they don't seem to get that one just doesn't walk arround with a hookah all day, and with using 0nic 75% Of the time and using 3mg the rest I'm using wayyy less nic and not destroying my lungs. So I understand how frustrating when the people you are close to just don't get it.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
My wife was aggressively non-supportive of my smoking. My wife is not supportive of my vaping. I told her I could go back to smoking but this time it would be inside the house. She yielded under duress. She was not supportive when I had a motorcycle. She wasn't supportive when I wanted to buy a sports car. She is not supportive when I eat bacon or cheeseburgers. Or bacon cheeseburgers. She isn't supportive of my Starbucks addiction. I told her I could replace it with a raging alcohol addiction. She said I wasn't funny. She isn't supportive of when I am funny. She has some sort of negative reaction to things that bring me joy. But other than that, things are great. Terrific. Yeah. I have to go cry in the shower now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread