Vaping And Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Just like going to a meeting and hearing what you need to hear, I come here and see what I need to read! Good reminder. I am trying hrd to drink less coffee and drink more water. I got a couple of 20 oz refillable bottles and keep one in my car for when i'm dring to/ from work, running errands at lunch time, etc. The other one I keep on my desk at work.

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
[*]We all should normally try and drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day - 64 fluid ounces of water. Of course few of us do that, so we are not well hydrated to begin with.
This is a myth. There is no scientific support for it, and in fact it's been established that the guy who created it pulled the number out of his ....

Drink lots of water, sure. But there is no reason to drink 8 freakin' glasses of it if you're not that thirsty.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks! Who knew! LOL
Funny it mentions lemon water, which I like too. I'll squeeze the juice of one whole one into about 12 ounces of water with ice. (no sugar)

And.....I have read that if one has had kidney stones (I did 5 years ago) that drinking citric acids (orange juice, lemon juice) can help break down the deposits in one's kidneys that cause kidney stones. Sooooo, I always squeeze a couple of lemon wedges into my iced tea (ice tea is reported to contribute to kidney stones). I've made it 5 years kidney stone free (supposedly, if you don't have another attack within 6 years, you might never again).

: )

Of course, I have been drinking LOTS of water, too!

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
This is a myth. There is no scientific support for it, and in fact it's been established that the guy who created it pulled the number out of his ....

Drink lots of water, sure. But there is no reason to drink 8 freakin' glasses of it if you're not that thirsty.

I agree...and disagree, agreeably with you on this. : o

"What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?

Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total."

That is from the Mayo Clinic - which suggests: So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Where I "disagree" with you, is only drinking when you are "thirsty" is actually too late. Thirst tells us we are dehydrated (mild to extreme - depending on amount of thirst). One should drink before they are thirsty.

Cheers!

Oaken007

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
I have to tell you guys, I'm starting to get a little scared. I have a wicked kidney infection right now, possibly stones. I'm worried that vaping brought this on. It seems too coincidental that as soon as I started vaping, within 2 days, I had a kidney infection. I don't tend to drink a lot of water on the regular, which I'm sure contributed. I had no idea vaping dehydrated you, and I'm curious to know how much a pack of smokes per day dehydrates an individual. I haven't felt any cottonmouth symptoms or any indications that I was becoming dehydrated. Went to the doctor, she said I had blood in my urine and possibly have kidney stones.

I might be putting down vaping if it is contributing. Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't really feel safe.

Isnt that like telling someone to eat before there hungry, or sleep before your tired. Isnt that your brains job to tell you when you need it?

No, the old theory is by the time your body tells you it's thirsty, you are already dehydrated. It doesn't work the same as telling someone to eat before they're hungry. Although, technically that would work too. Eating every 3 to 4 hours is ideal, whether you're hungry or not.

Last edited:

KevNewEngland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
Attleboro, Massachusetts
wkevin.com
It seems too coincidental that as soon as I started vaping, within 2 days, I had a kidney infection
I'm no doctor so don't take my word, but I seriously doubt vaping was the cause of your infection, especially being that you're only 2 days into it. Coincidental in my opinion.
Best of luck to you.

Oaken007

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Kev, here's seriously hoping. Cause vaping is the only thing that's kept me off cigarettes. I don't even want a cigarette.
I've done a little research on PG and kidney infections though, and it can contribute. So I'm thinking if I'm inhaling this stuff and as a person who has had a kidney infection once in the past, I am more susceptible to them happening again.

My diet is crap and I drink a ton of soda. That's all changing this week. No more soda, no more crap food. I'm going healthy again. Can't wait to start getting that lung capacity back so I can decrease my minutes per mile.

Come to think of it, my juices currently are from DarthVapers, they are pretty natural. So maybe it's just my bad eating habits.

KevNewEngland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
Attleboro, Massachusetts
wkevin.com
Kev, here's seriously hoping. Cause vaping is the only thing that's kept me off cigarettes. I don't even want a cigarette.
I've done a little research on PG and kidney infections though, and it can contribute. So I'm thinking if I'm inhaling this stuff and as a person who has had a kidney infection once in the past, I am more susceptible to them happening again.

My diet is crap and I drink a ton of soda. That's all changing this week. No more soda, no more crap food. I'm going healthy again. Can't wait to start getting that lung capacity back so I can decrease my minutes per mile.
Kudos for not wanting to smoke and changing your dietary habits. That's important. I'm sure someone will chime in here at some point regarding the kidney stone thing, hopefully with good news. If PG is a concern, perhaps switching to all VG might help? Just a thought.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Isnt that like telling someone to eat before there hungry, or sleep before your tired. Isnt that your brains job to tell you when you need it?

I tend to agree with you here. The only reason I researched hydration so much is because of my previous experiences. Not trying to put it on vaping - but, since I am hearing that vaping dehydrate - which makes sense cuz' it takes our bodies hydration to create the "vapor" I am applying what I have learned in the past for other applications.

On a side note, I have seen people that came down with "altitude sickness" and my wife that became dehydrated after giving blood, and neither of them were "thirsty" - just really sick, with headaches, dizziness, etc...

Once again, Cheers!

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I have to tell you guys, I'm starting to get a little scared. I have a wicked kidney infection right now, possibly stones. I'm worried that vaping brought this on. It seems too coincidental that as soon as I started vaping, within 2 days, I had a kidney infection. I don't tend to drink a lot of water on the regular, which I'm sure contributed. I had no idea vaping dehydrated you, and I'm curious to know how much a pack of smokes per day dehydrates an individual. I haven't felt any cottonmouth symptoms or any indications that I was becoming dehydrated. Went to the doctor, she said I had blood in my urine and possibly have kidney stones.

I might be putting down vaping if it is contributing. Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't really feel safe.

Oaken, from what I understand, just hydrating well after not being hydrated well for a long period of time, can cause kidney complications. Things begin to move, and in short, that is what dislodges the stones to cause the blockage that really is a kidney stone.

All of us have the Calcium-Oxalate, Struvite, Uric Acid and/or Cystine in our bodies that eventually can cause kidney stones. Usually these elements just pass through our body in our urine and out the other end. The biggest problem is when they begin to gather in our kidney/s then break loose as small "stones" or in my case what looked like a crystal rock (9mm x 4mm). Man, that thing took 2 weeks and HURT!

As you read through ECF you will see that ALL sorts of problems begin to surface when you quit smoking. From mouth ulcers, headaches, body aches to constipation. It's our body dumping toxins after years of us dumping them into it. Also, our body needs lots of water to get those toxins out, and just the use of that body fluid depletes us. If I were you I would move slow, no quick changes - maybe other than cutting out the death sticks. Take the next year and slowly remove things from your diet and lifestyle that you know are not healthy.

Something else you might want to take a look at is a book called, "Eating Right For Your Blood Type". My wife has been using it for 3 months now and it has radically changed her body and life. In short, each blood type (there are 4 primary) requires different foods and nutrition. What is good for one, might be bad for the other. I do not believe you need to suffer UI or kidney stones. Doctors (typically) will only treat the symptoms and touch on the causes. There are more natural and effective ways to eliminate these conditions.

Good luck!

P.S. As for how much a PAD dehydrates an individual, I do not think is comparable. Vaping uses your bodies moisture to create the "vapor". Whether that is with VG or PG. It's how the liquid works. Really, if you Vape, drink LOTS of water. A person could smoke at sea level and they are going to use less of their bodies moisture than if they smoke at 10,000 feet. Smoking probably does not "dehydrate" per se. It's physics when it comes to vaping, much like breathing at high altitude.

Last edited:

ByeByeCoffinNails

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
Kakapo Kountry (New Zealand)
As someone who nearly lost both kidneys due to *too* much hydration, I ask you to be careful drinking all that water!

Very pale/clear urine with little or no odour means you are overhydrated.
Dark yellow/ thick urine with a strong ammonia smell means you are dehydrated (or it is the first pee of the day!)
Green means you have had too much energy drink or have that gene that makes pee green after eating asparagus!
Deep orange on a regular basis (no energy drink intake)- see a Doctor immediately.

Another simple test is to pinch up skin and then let it go. Holding shape and not springing back? You are dehydrated.

When rehydrating, drink fluids slowly- don't throw it back. Sip. Super athletes are often seen throwing down large quantities with electrolyte fluids but normal adults do not need to do this. Normal adults should only consume electrolytes when dehydrated due to excessive fluid loss (such as a 48hr stomach bug or other long term gastro such as giardia, norovirus, campylobacter).

The average volume of pee per day (yes, some people measure this) for a normal adult is between 2 and 4 litres. 20 litres of pee a day is *not* normal! If you are going for a pee every 10 minutes, see a doctor!

I'm off to get a glass of water and have a vape.

Love to all and your kidneys!
:vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread