Vaping Health Long-Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traffer

Nov 20, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Just wondering if anyone vaping for years has experienced any issues?

I've been vaping daily for 10 years now and have only noticed positive changes. Of course, I immediately felt better getting off cigarettes. The UK health authorities recommending vaping over cigarettes is an outlier in totally corrupt government stances, so not putting much trust in what they might say without some real data to examine. So curious what other forum readers may be experiencing.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Traffer. I've been vaping for almost 8 years now and one of the biggest issues I've experienced, and still do on a regular basis, is that my wallet won't stop thanking me for not wasting at least $30 a month.. and there has been a lot of other benefits too.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Just wondering if anyone vaping for years has experienced any issues?

I've been vaping daily for 10 years now and have only noticed positive changes. Of course, I immediately felt better getting off cigarettes. The UK health authorities recommending vaping over cigarettes is an outlier in totally corrupt government stances, so not putting much trust in what they might say without some real data to examine. So curious what other forum readers may be experiencing.
    Yah, I agree the UK position on vaping is suspect, but they continue to produce new studies almost annually, reaffirming it as a successful, relatively safe method of smoking cessation.

I will reach my 10th anniversary in November this year, of vaping and quitting cigarettes, no vaping related health issues, and have never wanted another cigarette. I still very often think about how my home no longer smells like an ashtray, how I don't have bronchitis in the winter anymore, and it still seems a miracle that I not only quit cigarettes, but did it without gaining weight.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    10 years this year for me, after 36 years of heavy smoking. I'm still a heavy vaper..
    I haven't had an actual sinus infection in ages, maybe 2 bronchitis infections and no pneumonia which I had 3 times before switching. Seasonal allergies do hit me harder, but I've always been that guy that carries a handkerchief.

I have had a few issues due to aging and circumstance.. guess we can't avoid everything...... ;)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    10 years a vaper this fall. After 45+ years a smoker.

When smoking, I'd get either bronchitis or killer colds 3, 4 times a year. None since the switch.

Dentist and hygenist have commented on my oral health improvement.

PCP no longer hears any rattle in my lungs. (That stopped less than 3 months as a vaper.)

So, yeah, greatly less harmful. HarmLESS? Who knows, but I'll take the risk reduction.

And yeah, prorate out the setup costs and the wallet is very happy :)

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Well, it would appear that the UK actually listens to the science. In America, that voice gets muffled and smothered, overpowered by some idiot with a louder voice and bigger wallet.

If you want a quick read on how vaping as a whole currently sits in the US, here's a good article that kind of sums it up.

The UK is also home to the Royal College of Physicians which is world renowned in medicine. They have stated time and time again that vaping is no more than 5% as harmful for you than smoking is.
    Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I'll join in the chorus. I've been vaping 9 years and have only seen benefits. The last several years I smoked I got serious chest infections / possible pneumonia each spring, and I've not had a single one since I switched.

Good data on long-term safety isn't really possible given that vaping has only been around for 15 years or so. If there are issues that show up after a few decades, we'll have to wait a while to find out about them. That said, I agree with @DavidOck:

So, yeah, greatly less harmful. HarmLESS? Who knows, but I'll take the risk reduction.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    I'm in the 13 to 14 year range (didn't clock it) and have no more biannual bronchitis and far better respiratory health.
    I'm open to the 'other' shoe dropping though I'll still roll one up every couple years (I'm not against moderate combustion) and oddly, thought to have one a couple months back but couldn't find my surely stale open pack of Top... might have given it away last year and forgot. [emoji1]

And then forgot I wanted to have a smoke. [emoji1]

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Welcome to ECF, Traffer. I've been vaping for almost 8 years now and one of the biggest issues I've experienced, and still do on a regular basis, is that my wallet won't stop thanking me for not wasting at least $30 a month.. and there has been a lot of other benefits too.

Agreed, my cost avoided, in 2014, was $33 per week, I have no idea what a carton of cigarettes cost today. I have settled in and have not bought a new product for a couple of years and DIY juice.
    I have never noticed any detriment to my health, some damage to my respiratory system will never be right. But it's not continuing to deteriorate - to the best of my knowledge.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    For most who started vaping long ago the cost was the first noticeable thing then feeling better. It took 20+ years for smoking side effects to be noticeable to me. Who knows what vaping side effects will be, but one thing I've learned in life "everything has a price". Time will tell, but for most of us with 30+ years of smoking and 14 and counting vaping, who's to say which caused which or something else life throws at you.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I switched to vaping in 2013. I smoked for +40 years.

In my smoking days I had cronic colds, nasal infections, hay feaver and a assortment of other ills, all of which went away shortly after the switch.

However, I must of smoked to much for way to long as it seems my lungs have never really 'cleared' and I almost always have a 'smokers caugh' where every few minutes I caugh up some flem once or twice or have to 'clear my throat' from time to time.

While some of the brits say that vaping is at least ~95% safer than smoking, they mention that without any qualifications:
    • how much vapor are we talking about here? Is 'cloud chasing' as safe as 'toodle puffing'??
    • what exactly are we vaping here? Is one or both VG and PG safe?
    • what about flavors? While some types have been identified as being bad (IE: the recent vitaman E scare and some flavors) not all flavors can be good and surely some are worse than others?
    • what about temperature? Its been shown that even unflavored PG/VG if heated over 440F can turn into not so good gasses, what happens with flavorings? (the overwhelming majority of folks vaping do it with unregulated temperature wise devices)
    • last but not least, what about the wicking materials and coils? Both degrade while vaping - how much if any gets into our lungs - what is the long term exposure issues if any?

IMHO: I say pick your poison.

g.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    not wasting at least $30 a month
    my cost avoided, in 2014, was $33 per week,
    I was at around $90 a week at the end of 2013; going through a carton every 4-5 days, up in PA.

So eight plus years now after 36 years of smoking. No issues, and I'm generally much healthier. Smoker's cough and chronic, mild bronchitis -- gone. I used to get several colds per year. I've had one in the past eight years, and I know exactly how/where I caught that one -- at a trade show in Europe in 2018 where I shook hands with many hundreds of people over the course of five days.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I smoked for 42 years. Pretty much a chain smoker. Had lots of problems with bronchitis during that time and the last few years I got pneumonia every year, each year worse than the last. The final time put me in the hospital. I quit smoking and started vaping 11 1/2 years ago. I have not had so much as a chest cold since (2 head colds in that time tho). My lungs are clear. My doctor is fine with my vaping.

I was spending over $300 a month on smokes when I quit. I'd be surprised if I spent more than $3.00 a month on vaping, lol. (I DIY my juice.)

So far, it's all good.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
    Nov 6, 2013
    Minnesota
    Nine years this month. Less mucous in my throat. I had what was called Rhenaults syndrome. It is when your fingers turn white when its cold. (Live in Minnesota) I was from numerous bruises I had on my arms when I was young. (Very common problem later in life from fighting) I havent had a single episode of white fingers Rhenaults, in nine years. I feel much better also.

Like other guy said, dont know if it is safe, but seems healthier, just dont vape with Rayon wicks IMO.

I can say that when i use some dual coil steam engine vaping tank, I have some, the vape is too much, gives me a headache. So I just use my one coil Kayfun

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The UK health authorities recommending vaping over cigarettes is an outlier in totally corrupt government stances, so not putting much trust in what they might say without some real data to examine.

Yes I have often thought this myself. I'm a very skeptical person, which is why I didn't take to vaping in 2010 when I first tried it. I was skeptical that it was safe enough to ditch the cigs. For all I knew I'd wake up dead in a week or less or land in the hospital shortly after vaping. But I'm glad I took to it eventually, started being a regular vaper and ditched the smokes around 2014. Before that, I mainly dabbled in vaping, and I wouldn't really call myself a vaper back then.

I have to admit, though. Last week I climbed 6 flights of steps and after the three flights my legs started getting really heavy and tired. Finishing the remaining 3 wasn't fun, but I recuperated quickly after the last flight was completed. But I can't blame that on vaping necessarily since I lead a largely sedentary lifestyle and smoked 2.5 packs a day for over 20 years.

However, I went to see my doctor a few weeks ago and after listening to my chest he was literally shocked and impressed that I was such a heavy smoker until about 8 or so years ago, yet my lungs sounded healthy enough for him to literally say "WOW, that sounds great". He actually went to his laptop to verify that I was in fact a former heavy smoker. He doesn't know I vape.

irwink

CASAA Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2010
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    I smoked my last cigarette 12 years and 2 days ago. I no longer wheeze or have chronic smoker's cough. I think I may have had 1 or 2 head colds since then, whereas I used to have as many as 2 head colds a year. My dental health is noticeably improved. I no longer have gum issues. My clothes don't stink of smoke. Nor does my car or house. I can't claim to have saved any money though. I vape pretty much all day every day. Even though I make my own juice for the most part, I still have to buy supplies for that. I have to buy new sets of batteries every year or so. Mods die and have to be replaced, or I see a new one I really want. I have to buy new coils from time to time. I can't claim to have saved much if any money. At the time I quit I was already rolling my own cigs and so wasn't paying full price.

I'm now nearly 69 years old. I been vaping for 12 years after having smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs of cigs a day for nearly forty years. I feel better. I feel healthier. Though I can't claim to have saved any money I do believe I may have saved my life. In that light I don't care whether or not I saved money. But I imagine I have saved on periodontal procedures and other possible medical bills.

I have zero regrets.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread