Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Welp, Caesar, I think you've had a lot of suggestions here. I for one, have no idea why your vape is what it is, but I would definitely agree that spitting up blood is a concern, and most likely not from vaping.

Please keep us all posted.

And best of luck to you.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Wow. This is some intense reading!
First off; I’m sorry that your experience has been so negative.

Secondly; why after such a grim first experience did you attack dl vaping?
You need to go back to your roots man
Get an istick 20 and a nautilus mini and mtl like I love to do.
That’ll set you back, what? £30??
Absolutely nothing to learn apart from which flavour you like and how much nicotine.
Put the little coil in (I think they are £1-£2) throw your juice in (I vape 12mg so maybe as a newcomer you want more, like 18mg?)
Screw it in, filler her up and away you go. 9+ watts
Dont be fooled into this crazy high wattage is be all-end all,
I vape 12mg @ 11 watts on a simple mouth to lung vape all day long.

Seriously, it couldn’t be easier...

If you want to take things up a notch, that’s your business.

The coil will last a fortnight and I don’t know how much you want but even if you hit 5ml of juice a day with coil included that’s £12.75/$18
Your initial outlay with everything included will be £54.75/$74
But if you smoked 20 b&h a day that would be over a hundred dollars (where I’m from) a week.
Plus, that rig is there forever and the second week will cost you £13.75/$19!!! If you change the coil but it can last 2 weeks!

How cheap do you want it to be???

Forget that dl business while you coughing blood. Sort your game out first.

I hope I don’t sound rude and best of luck to you buddy. I hope you sort your problems out :thumb:

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
I didn't start vaping to quit smoking or to save money. I do save money but tend to spend it on vaping gear. Smok coils don't have very good QC you get good ones and bad ones. I'm good for the month on e-juice and have enough coils to last 2+ month. My estimation is I spend $75/mo vaping vs $200/mo when I was smoking

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Christ...I broke my rebuildable teeth with ss mesh in gennys, now that is a learning curve....nowdays getting into vaping is child's play...just grab a tank and some prebuilt coils.....and you're there ...hell even building an atty or a tank with cotton is pretty darn simple...I started vaping to avoid COPD I didn't give a damn how much it cost still don't it's far cheaper than being hooked up to an oxygen tank at any price.

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2017
USA
I am very new here and at vaping in general. I started with the kids and it lasted one day before I said I like vaping but not this. I tried the smok 22 pen and hated it passionately. I went to my local SHOPS several times and felt discouraged. But I was wondering if what could be causing the issue is spitback. I got spit back with the pen and it was terrible, one draw and I would have a terrible coughing fit if the tank started flooding and what did hit my mouth burned to hell. One thing I found that curbed it was not inhaling directly into your throat. I let it hit my tongue and inhale. I also feel I have a slight pg sensitivity. After about a month of the pen I too with great caution jumped into building my own because the coils lasted two days. Learning curve but it gets better with practice and knowledge. I think you got some great advice in this thread but one thing for sure is you do need to see a doctor immediately. Even if it's just irritation it's better to be safe than sorry. I could keep rambling on but vape on and all questions if you need any help.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
been there....but I think ss mesh wicks were the culprit.

No even with cotton as well. Kanthal will have hot spots unless you pretorch it or prefire it. When spaced was really popular, we were still using silica, mesh or eco-wool. One could dry burn with most of those and you'd have to use a little pick to slide coils around.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
No even with cotton as well. Kanthal will have hot spots unless you pretorch it or prefire it. When spaced was really popular, we were still using silica, mesh or eco-wool. One could dry burn with most of those and you'd have to use a little pick to slide coils around.
I'll take your word for it. I only build spaced coils.... sometimes with Kanthal but generally with SS. I never have hot spots.... never. But, I'm generally a pretty lucky guy.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
No, round wire spaced can't have hot spots. Something seriously wrong with your tank/wire if your getting actual hot spots.

If spaces aren't correctly even they can, if the Kanthal has imperfections it can as well. If there is a gap in wick and coil it can, if wick is thicker is one part than the other it can as well.

With lower wattages it may not be as noticable and or work itself out before being noticed as well. Someone who has made tons of coils may have minimal issues but one that is new to making coils and wicking, will possibly have loads of problems.

These issues were the reason so many people jumped to micro/macro contact coils, they were far easier to build and wick compared to spaced. Then of course as the clouding movement/sub-ohm area grew, so did the coils and shapes.

Kanthal is an alloy wire and has dirt, oil and dust on it from manufacturing. Now it may be cleaner today than it was originally but, I'm still going to prefire or torch before use, just to sterilize it at the least.

In short round wire spaced can have hot spots due to build quality, spacing, and or imperfections in manufacturing which happen all the time.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The foremost cause of hot leads or hot segments in open or closed coils is geometric asymmetry. This may as well contribute to ineffective termination. The mangling brought by the irregularity of hand winding or common forming (bending) can corrupt a wind and unbalance dual or parallel elements. A common hazard is inconsistent wick contact which results in hot zones or segments regardless of coil type, i.e. variations in turn-to-turn diameters, spacing. There is a methodology to best promote temp stability across coils using strain in wind and installation to promote symmetry, uniform rigidity, oxidation and so durability. It makes best use of the properties of Kanthal, a wire developed to serve as a thermal element. Such coils are notably less susceptible to hot leads. Best of all, it's so simple anyone can do it…and consistently reproduce it!

It may not be the way we always vape…but it sure is a nice warm and reliable hearth to return to from the cold.

Good luck all and Happy New Year. :)

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Why are we talking about hotspots, even spacing and heat distribution?
No wonder the guy thinks this is way too involved.

Buy a coil, screw in the coil, pour the juice, press the button, ta-da

I’ve been there and I know exactly how difficult the procedure is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread