Vaping makes me crave a cigarette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epaVi

Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Toronto
So I grabbed an e-cig and figured I would start vaping and work towards finalizing my quit date.

So currently, I vape and smoke cigarettes (sorry - analogs). I smoke less cigs than before with the ecig handy, but I am also finding that after I vape, I want a cigarette?

If I am going to use this as a "crutch" when my quit date comes, how do I deal with the urge?

daventura

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
In a van ............down by the river
All the advice in here, so far, is spot on.

My first nicquid was a "tobacco" flavor.
I've since tried about 20 different flavors.

My go-to is now Vanilla and Grapeful Dead.

I tried that original flavor in a brand new clearo today and hated it.

After a few weeks without the analogs, they will start smelling nasty to you.

And then later, someone who just smoked a cigarette will come up to you and you'll think,
"OMG, I used to smell like that?"

You'll figure it out soon enough, but don't beat yourself up too much for still smoking.
Maybe you're not ready yet.

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
I think the suggestion to increase the nicotine level is key. I am currently struggling a bit with similar issues. I made the mistake of starting low and working my way up the nicotine scale. I just saw a chart the other day while I was surfing vape sites - I'll see if I can find it and post it here for you. Anyway, I started out at 12mg, then went to 18mg, and am currently at 24mg. Since I am vaping a stronger nicotine level, I rarely want an analog now. I have 32mg juice on the way - should be here Tuesday, so once I try it out, I'll let you know how it goes for me. Hang in there! I'm convinced that this is the best (and only) way that I'll successfully kick the habit...

epaVi

Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Toronto
Thanks Guys.

I dont want to up my nicotine as that is somewhat associated with the challenges I face with TH.

I have a blueberry liquid that is 70pg/30vg and it kills me. So I grabbed some VG to try to cut it down a bit as well as some Apple juice that is 50/50.

The apple is good but still getting the TH - but I can vape, enjoy the taste and then turn off the twist when it starts to heat up.

After that, thats when Im craving an analog. Like I have just eaten a meal LOL

I put an order in for some sample juice with a local seller - but with being in Canada, the rest of my shipment is coming from the US and it going to be a while.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I've been vaping for 2 months. A good day is when I only smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes. A bad day is 8 to 10. I tried upping my nic dosage from 12mg, and just made myself nauseated. So for me, I take one day at a time, and I've noticed that my craving for smokes is a little less every day. I was a pack a day smoker, so even this is a huge step in the right direction.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
So I grabbed an e-cig and figured I would start vaping and work towards finalizing my quit date.

So currently, I vape and smoke cigarettes (sorry - analogs). I smoke less cigs than before with the eCig handy, but I am also finding that after I vape, I want a cigarette?

If I am going to use this as a "crutch" when my quit date comes, how do I deal with the urge?

I understand your problem. Maybe more than you realize. I deal with this kind of situation on a daily basis. If you don't mind I'll send you a PM with a blog I wrote about the crutch. For the forum I'll just wish you the best of luck. Never count the ones you smoke. The ones you didn't smoke are the most important. Never beat yourself up and DONT set a stop date. Your body will tell you when it's right.
I can't send a PM at the moment. I'll just include it for the forum new members. Hope it helps.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/tnt56/3248-im-ready-admit.html

Last edited:

wdawg88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
CA
I've been vaping for 2 months. A good day is when I only smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes. A bad day is 8 to 10. I tried upping my nic dosage from 12mg, and just made myself nauseated. So for me, I take one day at a time, and I've noticed that my craving for smokes is a little less every day. I was a pack a day smoker, so even this is a huge step in the right direction.

I'm so glad that I am not the only one. I was a 1.5 pack a day smoker.

Everybody that I have introduced ecigs to have quit analogs or only have an occasional analog. I am like you, it really depends on my day. If I have a bad day, I will smoke a half a pack or more. If it is a good day, I will only smoke 3-7. One of the things that I cannot shake is the morning and after meal smokes :(

The way I see it.. Hey as long as it has helped me cut down on analogs.. I am happy.

jcarax

Feb 11, 2013
Tucson
Apparently we don't absorb as much of the nicotine in vapor, and it takes longer than an analog. So instead of sitting there and smoking a cigarette until you're gone, you'll probably find yourself vaping once or twice every so many minutes.

I flirted with vaping with a drip atomizer early on. The enthusiasm would have carried me through, but the dripping was just so much of a PITA. By the time I got a Type A cartridge system for my Ego-C, stress and time issues killed the whole thing for a couple months. A little over a month ago I got the itch again, and I quit all at once. Initially, it wasn't entirely taking care of my cravings, but I was in a state of mind to make it work. Within three days the cravings were greatly reduced. Within a week I wasn't craving analogs anymore. Once a week or so I still get a minor craving, about a month in, but nothing I can't easily handle.

I'm sure there's something else in analogs that's addictive besides nicotine. So it takes some time to get over that, and also to get accustomed to the differences in delivery method, absorption rates and otherwise. I don't use the Ego cartridge system anymore, but it's key to find something that isn't too much of a hassle, and that you can easily integrate with your lifestyle.

I know a lot of vapers use it to slowly ween themselves of analogs. But my suggestion, based on my own experiences and the way my own brain works, is to quit analogs immediately. Don't play the mind games. Resolve yourself to make the transition, and do it. It might not work for you today, or next week, but keep it in the back of your mind and it will eventually. You need to be in the right frame of mind and period of personal strength for a week or so, and you'll be fine.

Trust me, you can do this. Everyone can. It's just a plant.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I can't send a PM at the moment. I'll just include it for the forum new members. Hope it helps.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/tnt56/3248-im-ready-admit.html

Excellent blog tnt!!! Highly recommended reading epaVi.

You've already got great advice here. Everyone is unique and we all have different personalities and backgrounds. I started vaping last April. I had been smoking for over 35 years and I loved everything about it except for the fact that it was killing me, literally. I think what helped me switch to vaping is that I am a bit of a nerd. Just the thought of vaping with all the complexities involved 'worked' for me.

It took me a few weeks to quit. I finally gave away my last few packs after making up my mind I was not going back. I had a few juices I really liked and I had my hardware mostly figured out. There were serious urges for sure in the first few weeks, but I was able to vape through them. Every week after that became easier for me. I had a couple of cigarettes in the next few months and eventually discovered the thrill was gone. Still liked them while I was smoking them, but the taste/smell afterwards was gross. I have not had a serious urge for a smoke now in a long time. And I may just live a few more years :2cool:

Take it easy on yourself and remember that it's the smokes you don't have that count. Juice and adequate hardware are important. Desire to quit is important. Best of luck with it!

epaVi

Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Toronto
To keep it easy, my username is iVape backwards :)

I read the above post and the funny thing is, when I smoke an analog, Im like "That doesnt taste like blueberry?" LOL THen I find myself craving some juice.

Im still trying to tweak my hardware - the TH is REALLY killing my buzz. Ive turned down the volts, Im on a 50/50 juice right now to which I added some additional VG to cut it more......

Still learning this stuff, so maybe thats why it contributes to the urge since I am not 100% set up and good to go.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
lol, great name choice ... never would have thought of that! IMO, the longer you stick with it, the better it's going to get for you. You're doing the right thing adding VG to reduce nic and TH. You can also buy flavors from Canvape and Happy Vaper in TO if you need more flavor after cutting juice. Take your time, keep experimenting and it will happen.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Im on a 50/50 juice right now to which I added some additional VG to cut it more......

Still learning this stuff, so maybe thats why it contributes to the urge since I am not 100% set up and good to go.

Wait.... Are you cutting e-liquid with plain VG?

If so that is also cutting the nicotine level.

Just buy some 100% VG juice... When I first started vaping 18mg 70/30 killed me... I thought it was the nic but after some trial and error I figured out that it was the PG.

Now,a year in, I'm much more tolerant of PG

Sent from the ether using the power of my mind... and the Tapatalk app.

epaVi

Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Toronto
^Yes - I know I am reducing the nicotine - which is fine by me if that is what is contributing to the TH. :( My current apple juice has 18mg of nic in it (it was a free sample given to me by Canvapes)

I got my liquids so far from Canvape - which is where I grabbed the parts from. Ordered some samples from Maple leaf vapes, and some viles from Fuzion Vapor. But that order will take a few weeks

My juice orders have been cut down in PG volume. Less is better for me I hope.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread