Vaping Respect and common courtesy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boothvilleboi

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Boothville Louisiana
Since my vaping journey began I have learned alot, and one of the things I learned was that not everyone likes us. Maybe they more or less dont understand what the deal is. That being said, I have tried my best to be as respectful as possible in the last few months than I have in the past. Just because we know our vapor has no second hand smoke harm physically, it may have second hand " offense" mentally. Its like a respect issue. I have found that people generally accept it when I step outside with the smokers to vape at a restaurant, and its a great platfrom in which to help smokers see our side. Also when in a car with someone I no longer fog it out but instead crack the window like a smoker. I've taken the steps to make sure I dont vape in peoples homes who dont vape or smoke. Even at families houses. Its been said that its only water vapor but in all reality its not at all water vapor, and it does have an odor. Though it may not be offensive to us dont you think smell is as subjective as our tastes? I know we all know what subjective taste is now dont we? My dad says it stinks, and I beg to differ, but that's his opinion and he's entitled to it as are we. I say all that to say this, we are on the verge of being exiled and the FDA doesnt want us on their island. As for me I think we should try to do our part to give our community the best reputation possible, when I vape in public I try to remember that I'm not just presenting my personal image, but representing all of us. We are still a small fraction of the world and I want vaping to be accepted and welcomed among the rest of society. We are still very young in our own world and just starting to come into the limelight with these commercials and media placement. Just my 2 cents and opinion. What do yall do to be respectful? Did i miss anything?

cactus71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
NM
I was always considered the most considerate smoker... never smoked indoors even when permitted, made sure non-smokers weren't down-wind from me, etc. And, I'll continue being considerate when it comes to vaping. However, not that the situation has yet arisen, if some guy or gal wearing some cheap-... stinky cologne/perfume, or "forgot" to shower for days were to give me grief about vape smell, then I'd be in his/her face telling 'em off.

rbrtito

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2011
Southern CA
I've always respected people that don't smoke, I wouldn't smoke around people that are ratting, if people walked by with there kids I walk away before they get near me. When kids see me I would hide my cigarette in my hand and walk somewhere else. I know that it's not something everyone else does but it is something that people do. I personally wouldn't always put my butts out where I should have, but now I see that you would get looked at differently than someone who doesn't smoke. And I can see why. I personally don't give to much thought above the FDA issue as they are just trying to get into it becuse of the fact that vaping has nicotine in it. Sooner or later I would expect something like this too happen as if the government always wants to put their hands in the cookie jar

Boothvilleboi

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Boothville Louisiana
I know when I first started vaping i had the attitude like " I can vape wherever i want ". And alot of sales pitches said just that. Even one brand of mall cigs was called smoking everywhere. When in fact its just not that way. Somebody looking across a room and seeing a cloud of vapor doesnt know its vapor. I remember when i used to use a 510 and i was outside the mall, I heard this lady that wasnt even downwind say " i cant handle that smoke" and walked the other way. So its more mental for some people, they dont even give the opportunity to see the difference, and like some of my family the difference is only different, not better. Does that make sense?

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
It isn't the nonsmokers that give me looks, it is the smokers and ex-smokers that give me problems. Someone on FB was bragging that she hasn't had a stinky in a week. I told her I vape. She went on to say nicotine is nicotine, and she pushed a self help PDF at me. I told her it is the tobacco and chemicals that make the stinky sticks stinky and cancerous, not the nicotine. She said she never heard of eCigs, so I referred her to this site if she had any questions. BTW, I think this is the third time she quit :facepalm:

Boothvilleboi

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Boothville Louisiana
As far as stealth vaping goes im horrible at it, especially with my reo lol. I look so suspicious when i use to do it. Its almost comical. But I guess i felt guilty or even maybe just like i was shaming my community. I've never had anyone actually say anything to my face about vaping even back when i would vape in Mcdonalds ( I know horrible ), but I got those looks or they would whisper under their breath. And you hit that on the head about smokers too. Its llike a "no fair" vibe they give off. Or a "who do you think you are" face.....

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
I personally wouldn't always put my butts out where I should have, but now I see that you would get looked at differently than someone who doesn't smoke.

I thought of this last night when I was vaping away in my car and someone in front of me tossed a lit cigarette out the window. Smokers litter a LOT. I did my best not to - as long as I wasn't "too inconvenienced" to find the nearest trash bin.

What was the topic again? Vaping etiquette? Yeah, I try to do that too. For sure everyone has the "freedom" to do what they want (within the confines of the law, ; ) of course) but I want to be mindful of others. I've seen some great examples of education the vaping-ignorant in a respectful way here on ECF.

Last edited:

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
Yeah I try to treat it the same as stinkers just to appease the masses. Even when I smoked I hated the smell so I understand when people would say I can't stand that smell. Now I try to treat it the same and be as respectful as possible to everyone else. Plus I do like to answer questions out in the smoking areas about what I'm smoking or vaping;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I guess I am naughty... I vape everywhere for a year now. Not one person has ever said anything mean. I do get the occasional whats that but never anything bad. I do however stealth in stores if I think I need to and I have one relative who HATES all things nicotine so I vape outside at his house. I am not a jerk. I just don't feel like I am doing something wrong. If someone asks me to stop I will.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Well said Boothvilleboi. I agree and do all the same things you do. It also just takes one person to complain and we can have a new vaping restriction put in place. Sucks, but it is what it is.

If thats the case then youre already living on borrowed time. Some people are going to complain no matter what you do. Cant live your life trying to appease those types of people. In actuality youre placing yourself in a subservient position to them because you'll notice they arent going of their way to make you comfy are they?

In the short term hiding it away and willingly walking over to the smoking section might seem like a good idea but it reinforces negative stereotypes associated with smokers....now theyre being associated with you too.

Just dont be surprised or angry when acting like smokers gets us dragged down along with them.

Their world gets smaller and smaller every year while ours SHOULD be expanding.

Im not saying anyone needs to be obnoxious about it but theres no reason to hide like a naughty kid either, were all adults who arent doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I 'liked' two posts in here with opposing views. Although I think courtesy and civility apply in every kind of situation, I've also learned that as long as I behave like a smoker when I vape, people assume I'm basically smoking and it must be gross. That's not good press for ecigs either, so it's a somewhat delicate line.
I tend to vape very freely in public places so long as it's not directly in anyone's face, to catch the eye of anyone giving me curious looks and use the occasion to explain if it seems appropriate. In cars I ask, but also (in most company) indicate that I'd like to demonstrate that they don't stink. I offer up my little glass bottles for inspection like aromatic oils and people love the way they smell. So far those exchanges have been civil and fun and in 3 years I've yet to encounter complaints or polite, stiff, reluctant permission body language. Clients and colleagues before I retired knew that I vaped in my office, and frequently commented that it "smelled like cake baking" and liked to guess the flavor - very friendly and supportive. (I probably reeked of smoke before and they were relieved.) I'm discrete in restaurants and theaters.
And in some company I just wouldn't go there. Discretion is the better part of valor.

So much of what made smoking awful had to do with feeling apologetic (correctly - it's noxious) and I love not having to feel like a public nuisance. I love vaping freely. That said, any indication that it might make anyone uncomfortable would be an immediate signal to lay off.

Does that make sense?
Why am I awake at 3AM?
Oh, that's right - being retired also means you can also stay up late whenever you feel like it...

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I for sure ask permission in someones home. I also don't Vape in restaurants stores ect... much might take a quick puff every wip stitch but for the most part I don't. I do not observe property bans. when a entity tell me I can not vape on their property out side I do anyway. So for the most part I try to be courteous to others. I think this reflects each person individually some people are inconsiderate jerks vaping has nothing to do with it. But they will be inconsiderate with their vaping as they are with pretty much everything in their life.

Thucydides

Force of Nature
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Washington, DC
You know, all the arguments for vaping "politely" can also be used to argue that gay people should stay in the closet. I understand courtesy and boundaries, but I also understand that catering to irrational, culturally ingrained phobias also enables them. Vaping submissively and vaping in other people's faces aren't the only two choices, and you can be assertive at the right times and in the right ways without being an extremist. But I do understand that timidity and submission are easier than assertion and the conflict that sometimes accompanies it.

From here on out, I think I'll call the anti-vaping crowd "nicophobes." Can we just get over our nicophobia?

Last edited:

bols2DaWall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2012
LaSalle , Ontario , Canada
Yup , considerate people are considerate people , others think it's their God given right to force their views and vapor on all .
Think about , while most would be OK seeing someone sitting in the corner of a none smoking bar ( for example) puffin on an ecig ,
could you imagine if everyone in the place was doing it ? It wouldn't take long for that establishment to ban Ecigs too . (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread