retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
So here I am, having a good Friday, enjoying the forums and next thing I know, there's an alarm in the background and red lights going off all over the place. Ruins my day, ya know?

It might be a good thing for some to take a step back from the keyboard and remember what the forum is for.

In other words. KNOCK IT OFF!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Sometimes I wonder why we bother. People have wholly civilised conversations about vaping, a blow-hard turns up to talk about himself, reasonable people complain about that and then - BLAM!- a mod turns up just because they feel the warmth.

In the old days ... ah, why bother...

Well, because we shouldn't let people like that get away with it. It's as if all those who are genuinely interested in vaping get slapped on the wrist by the mods as well. Collateral damage?

Not good enough. Must try harder.

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
I'm sorry but I think if a place is smoke-free zone then you shouldn't vape there either...and should thus vape in designated smoke areas, it is after all only the polite thing to do...

now this being said lmfao I would never have smoked indoors but I do vape in my house and while at work my boss actually encourages me to vape in the office instead of taking regular smoke breaks that would last 5 minutes....just step into the office sneak a few vapes and back to the sales floor to work. And I have on occasion sneaked a few vapes in the bathroom :D

but I wouldn't go about walking around a building vaping just because it's not smoking....it's that unfortunate mentality that will set smokers and nonsmokers off and eventually bust the crack down from the ANTZ

Social engineering and cultural norming does work.

It doesn't have to even have a direct immediate affect on other citizens.

You can think of 50 things that don't directly affect the health or well-being of your neighbors.

You can't walk down the street with no clothes. You can't walk down the street with a bottle of Budweiser. Are you harming anybody by doing that? No. But it's a cultural thing.

The game from the very beginning was to change cultural norms. All of it in order to enrich big pharmaceutical companies who peddle gums and patches.

If it looks like smoking and is a threat to gravy train it has to be stopped.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Everyone operating with the "I vape when I want, where I want", are just dead wrong. What that mentality does, is just give scrutiny to all of us. The gov & public don't care! And when you draw attention, the only thing that is going to accomplish is people will start treating vaping the exact same as smoking. End result, it will become illegal to vape just about everywhere. Give up the bravado!

Doing it your way, we treat it just like smoking whether they pass laws or not.

Doing it your way, we go outside with the smokers, we stand in the cold or the heat or the rain with the smokers, we stink because we are hanging out with smokers. Doing it your way, we can't educate the general pulbic because we are pretending it's exactly the same as smoking.

Your way sucks.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Look I don't know where you got the impression you could vape anywhere you wanted to. I am sure from Prosmoke simliar to me. If you want to blow up a cloud in a restaurant I am in I will calmly go to the manager and inform him/her. If they do not do anything I will walk out without paying for my dinner.

That makes you a jerk, and it doesn't change anything I'm going to do. Slimeballs like you don't get to control what I do. If I'm asked by management not to vape, I'll explain it first, and then if they still don't want me to vape, I won't. I may not do business there again, but unlike you, I'm not going to make a scene, and I'm not going to use it as an excuse to not pay for my meal.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm pretty sure the people who felt it was ok to smoke everywhere and anywhere are why smoking became prohibited almost everywhere in public establishments.

I'm pretty sure it was the smell. If smoking hadn't smelled bad, nobody would have cared. I vape in a bunch of places where I wouldn't be able to smoke. Nobody ever complains. I've only had one complaint ever, and it was because a bar manager saw my vapor across a room and sent a bouncer over to tell me "you can't smoke". I went to talk to the manager, and as soon as he saw my PV, he said "Oh, it's one of those, you're fine". He was going to enforce the "no smoking" rule because that's the law. He didn't care if I vaped, because it doesn't stink, people don't complain, and it isn't against the law.

mediocre toker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm up for the common sense approach with regard to this. Generally i vape load and proud for i have nothing to hide. However, when in certain circumstances and a stealthy vape is called for then i just hold the vape in a little longer. Hey presto. No clouds of lovely vapour for anyone to notice. The vapour just melts into the saliva in your mouth.I've used this technique on united airlines recently with no problems (Although i did try and hide it from the stewards.Dont rock the boat at 38000 feet) whatsoever. Sensible, i think.

I ride dirt bikes and off-road vehicles, and the people within our hobby with this type of attitude are the ones that have succeeded in getting us shut out almost everywhere. Just because it's legal to ride within 50 feet of a row of backyards in a housing tract at 8:00 am on a Sunday doesn't mean it's a good idea - and it certainly doesn't do anything to further our cause. Nobody is being "harmed" by the noise and dust, but they're certainly being irritated by it - and that's what turns somebody from being neutral/not caring about an issue into somebody who's violently opposed to it. Exercising the "right" to ride anywhere/everywhere it's not outright prohibited has resulted in a lot of "No Trespassing", "No Off-Road Vehicle Activity", etc. signs being posted because people didn't exercise a little common sense/courtesy.

Vaping can go down the exact same road (and it's already headed that way). I don't advocate hiding in a dark closet to vape for fear of offending somebody, but I don't advocate walking around blowing clouds anywhere and everywhere just because it's not explicitly prohibited either. There's a middle ground which involves using a little common sense and having courtesy for those around you. Being militant and flagrant about it only serves to turn more people against it, which is not what we need.

As an offroad fan myself I agree. I'm not going to push my vaping agenda just BECAUSE it's not forbidden. I'm going to respect those around me because that's how i was rasied. Just like I don't ( or try not) talk about "adult" things around children. I respect people's space the way i hope they respect mine.

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
Not only that, but it's one of most illogical arguments I can think of...

Don't vape where you're not allowed to smoke so that they won't pass laws that say we can't vape where we can't smoke?
Isn't that basically saying we should do what they want, so they don't make us do what they want?

And while we're sitting there hiding in corners to vape, they are ALREADY running around the country passing laws to do this very thing anyway.

Karma and the arc of justice and divine Providence is in our favor.

Ask what would Ghandi, Jesus and MLK do.

I could have gotten ...... and militant when the $8/hr 73 year old Great Adventure security guard said "You can use these in the smoking section."

The guy is not that bright and he is just trying to make a few extra bucks. I could have been a wise ... and said I have asthma and COPD if you make me use this in the smoking section I could die. How would that make you feel!?

I said nothing and stealth vaped while pushing the baby carriage.

mediocre toker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How about using this camouflage when stealth vaping in an urban environment?
camouflage urban - Google Search 2013-09-03 13-52-11.jpg
Problem solved!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
View attachment 247995
Problem solved!

But a different problem arises. Drinking high sugar sodas can lead to obesity, type two diabetes and death.

Everything can lead to death, actually.

Sent on the back of an albatross eating fish.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
View attachment 247995
Problem solved!

LoL. I bet a lot of shoppers ...... their pants that day. If it weren't for the shoes...

Isn't today's street camouflage a political billboards, mask and a gun though?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm sorry but I think if a place is smoke-free zone then you shouldn't vape there either...and should thus vape in designated smoke areas, it is after all only the polite thing to do...

now this being said lmfao I would never have smoked indoors but I do vape in my house and while at work my boss actually encourages me to vape in the office instead of taking regular smoke breaks that would last 5 minutes....just step into the office sneak a few vapes and back to the sales floor to work. And I have on occasion sneaked a few vapes in the bathroom :D

but I wouldn't go about walking around a building vaping just because it's not smoking....it's that unfortunate mentality that will set smokers and nonsmokers off and eventually bust the crack down from the ANTZ

This is so backwards on so many levels. First, the ANTZ have been trying their best to have vaping banned/severely restricted since 2009 before there was hardly any vaping in public or elsewhere. We could all vape only in an underground bunker and their efforts to eliminate vaping would not change. Try doing some research and learn the history of vaping. Second, designated smoking areas came about from the unsubstantiated safety concerns about 2nd hand smoke. With the lastest studies proving what we all knew, that 2nd hand vapor is harmless, there is no reason to be forced to breath in cigarette smoke in designated smoking areas. Third, by acting like vaping is the same as smoking, you provide the exact perception that the ANTZ's champion: vaping is just as dangerours as smoking.

Instead, how about doing what many of us do: vape openly almost anywhere but respectfully. This provides a good perception of vaping to the uninformed and also provides an opportunity to educate those who are less informed about what vaping is and is not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread