vaping in public keep it low to keep our rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Well, I'll just give a quick opinion, and be on my way... :)

I personally believe hiding and hulking in shadows will never help to "keep our rights"... because, if you think about it, the current e-cig bans have not been proposed by a lot of "common, everyday people" who have been somehow turned against the e-cig. Those bans were motivated by ideology (it looks like smoking...) sprouted by a small group of haters, who believe to have the right to say how everybody else should live! To fight this small, obnoxious group, we need the support of the bigger group, the "common, everyday people"! That means:

1) We should not be obnoxious ourselves about the e-cig, or else we will turn that group against us;
2) But, we should not hide in corners either, or the bigger group will never know the difference between a cigarette and an e-cig!

As far as I've read here, smoking is already banned in some open spaces, like beaches and parks... to those who say 'only vape were smoking is allowed': would you really restrain yourselves from vaping in places like that?? On what grounds?

Take this example: if people see you vaping in the smoke pit, you will be giving the message that vaping should be treated like smoking. Uninformed people will think that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. Worse than that, misinformed people will see that as a confirmation of what they "already know", because they have "heard it on the news". And later, if you vape elsewere, while you stink of tobacco from that same smoke pit, people will believe what they "already know" also... "the e-cig stinks, and is not so diferent from cigarettes..." (Remember, before the cigarette ban, people were usually more upset by tobacco smell, than concerned about heath effects)

The only way we can 'educate' the "bigger, and yet neutral group", is to let them perceive, in their own experience (not just by 'hear say') that vaping and smoking may seem the same, but there is indeed a great diference between the two. This is important because later, when the small group starts sprouting ideology again, to aim at an ever harsher ban, the bigger group will recognize them for what they are: liars. The bigger group will no longer be deceived, because they have experienced first-hand what is really happening. Hopefully, many of those people will have a smoker friend/relative/sweethart, and will actually know that the e-cig could actually help them, and therefore should not be banned.

We need the support of a big, properly informed group of people to win this!!

Yes! Yes! and YES! :)

I went to a birthday party at a restaurant the other day. I did not vape at the table, as I was surrounded by about 12 non-smokers and non-vapers, and - to my mind - vaping at the table would not have been nice. When we left the restaurant, I took out my pretty, smallish stainless steel PV and started vaping. One of the guests, a very nice lady and retired doctor, asked me what I was doing. So I explained (the short version), that I stopped smoking over a year ago, and now I inhale a vapor with some nicotine, but without all the poisonous and cancer-causing substances of cigarette smoke. Her response "Wow! That is great!" :) She - and the other guests who now noticed - also appreciated that there was no smell. :)
- Well, I met that lady again the other day. We were sitting outside at a table, enjoying a drink while waiting for the "theater in the park" to open, and I was happily vaping away. This time, my PV was red, like my jewelry - and all that lovely lady said was "Oh, that looks so pretty with your ring!" :)

Yes, I do think that this here goes a long way:

1) We should not be obnoxious ourselves about the e-cig, or else we will turn that group against us;
2) But, we should not hide in corners either, or the bigger group will never know the difference between a cigarette and an e-cig!

And far from hiding my PV, I use it as a fashion accessory ;) - stainless steel, blue, red, with matching drip tips - to go with my clothes and my jewelry, when I go out. And I must say that mostly I get admiring looks. I do not insist on vaping everywhere, to me that is a matter of courtesy, I do ask "do you mind if I vape?" when I am at somebody's house (most do not mind, but to me it is courteous to ask), but outside, I sit, stand and walk with my PV the way I used to sit, stand and walk with my cigarette. - And I have yet to encounter any (insert nasty noun) who attempts to f** with me. (Ok... I am the do-not-f**-with-me type, but still... ;) )

Yes, be courteous, but do not hide as if you were doing something wrong. That's the ticket! :)

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Hiya Robin. I see more and more people around my bus routes every day all being converted to vaping. It's up to us, the seasoned vaper to show others the way forward and what better way than to vape in public. Just show some discretion.
You are a hero to me also.

Agreed. That is why i am starting to stockpile my nicotine @250ml of 54mg a week. Once they treat vaping like a medicine which will be happening 2016 in Britain the taxes will just be a matter of time. Hopefully by then i should have enough nicotine to last me a decade or so.
Freezing seams to be the best storage option BTW

As I have said before our government just needs to make :censored: legal, tax it and ALL the problems wouldn't matter!

Everyone, including the politicians would be intoxicated, and eating stange combinations of food at odd times of the day!

Just my two :2c: worth!

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
well, i'll just give a quick opinion, and be on my way... :)

i personally believe hiding and hulking in shadows will never help to "keep our rights"... Because, if you think about it, the current e-cig bans have not been proposed by a lot of "common, everyday people" who have been somehow turned against the e-cig. Those bans were motivated by ideology (it looks like smoking...) sprouted by a small group of haters, who believe to have the right to say how everybody else should live! To fight this small, obnoxious group, we need the support of the bigger group, the "common, everyday people"! That means:

1) we should not be obnoxious ourselves about the e-cig, or else we will turn that group against us;
2) but, we should not hide in corners either, or the bigger group will never know the difference between a cigarette and an e-cig!

As far as i've read here, smoking is already banned in some open spaces, like beaches and parks... To those who say 'only vape were smoking is allowed': would you really restrain yourselves from vaping in places like that?? On what grounds?

take this example: If people see you vaping in the smoke pit, you will be giving the message that vaping should be treated like smoking. Uninformed people will think that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. Worse than that, misinformed people will see that as a confirmation of what they "already know", because they have "heard it on the news". And later, if you vape elsewere, while you stink of tobacco from that same smoke pit, people will believe what they "already know" also... "the e-cig stinks, and is not so diferent from cigarettes..." (remember, before the cigarette ban, people were usually more upset by tobacco smell, than concerned about heath effects)

the only way we can 'educate' the "bigger, and yet neutral group", is to let them perceive, in their own experience (not just by 'hear say') that vaping and smoking may seem the same, but there is indeed a great diference between the two. This is important because later, when the small group starts sprouting ideology again, to aim at an ever harsher ban, the bigger group will recognize them for what they are: liars. the bigger group will no longer be deceived, because they have experienced first-hand what is really happening. Hopefully, many of those people will have a smoker friend/relative/sweethart, and will actually know that the e-cig could actually help them, and therefore should not be banned.

bravo! Ditto! I concur!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Well, I'll just give a quick opinion, and be on my way... :)

I personally believe hiding and hulking in shadows will never help to "keep our rights"... because, if you think about it, the current e-cig bans have not been proposed by a lot of "common, everyday people" who have been somehow turned against the e-cig. Those bans were motivated by ideology (it looks like smoking...) sprouted by a small group of haters, who believe to have the right to say how everybody else should live! To fight this small, obnoxious group, we need the support of the bigger group, the "common, everyday people"! That means:

As far as I've read here, smoking is already banned in some open spaces, like beaches and parks... to those who say 'only vape were smoking is allowed': would you really restrain yourselves from vaping in places like that?? On what grounds?

Take this example: if people see you vaping in the smoke pit, you will be giving the message that vaping should be treated like smoking. Uninformed people will think that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. Worse than that, misinformed people will see that as a confirmation of what they "already know", because they have "heard it on the news". And later, if you vape elsewere, while you stink of tobacco from that same smoke pit, people will believe what they "already know" also... "the e-cig stinks, and is not so diferent from cigarettes..." (Remember, before the cigarette ban, people were usually more upset by tobacco smell, than concerned about heath effects)

The only way we can 'educate' the "bigger, and yet neutral group", is to let them perceive, in their own experience (not just by 'hear say') that vaping and smoking may seem the same, but there is indeed a great diference between the two. This is important because later, when the small group starts sprouting ideology again, to aim at an ever harsher ban, the bigger group will recognize them for what they are: liars. The bigger group will no longer be deceived, because they have experienced first-hand what is really happening. Hopefully, many of those people will have a smoker friend/relative/sweethart, and will actually know that the e-cig could actually help them, and therefore should not be banned.

Bravo, well said!!!!!

Period. End of discussion. Please close thread dear Moderators. :).

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
We need strength in numbers. If you have friends or family that vape, all (however many of you) should go to a public place and vape as if you were doing any other normal activity (like texting on your cell phone). Even if you don't have any friends or family that vape, go to a public place with someone who approves of your vaping. They can vouch for you should a business owner tell you to "stop smoking." If I am in an indoor public place, I always feel more comfortable vaping if I am with a friend. It makes what I am doing (vaping) look more normal if that makes sense. Such places include shopping malls, supermarkets, restaurants, and bar/restaurants.

peep531

Apr 22, 2013
Texas
I'd just like to add that vapor device users are the ones that will affect public opinion of the products. Taking a discrete puff and releasing your vapor downward attracts very little attention, if any at all, but if you start sucking on a giant sausage sized outfit and blow vapor out of your mouth and nose like a dragon it appears gross, rude and disgusting.

Case on point - Every television news item features a reporter in a Vape Shop interviewing a long haired, bearded sales rep with a humongous rig hanging around his neck, and holds the camera on a pimpled, pierced and tattooed chick vaping like an industrial smokestack. This is how their viewers perceive all vapor users. The media seeks out the most unflattering and controversial.

Please leave your big guns at home and have a little class and discretion out in public. Remember that you are the ambassador and will shape the future of e-cigarettes by your own behavior.
peep

peep531

Apr 22, 2013
Texas
Yes! Yes! and YES! :)
And far from hiding my PV, I use it as a fashion accessory ;) - stainless steel, blue, red, with matching drip tips - to go with my clothes and my jewelry, when I go out. And I must say that mostly I get admiring looks. I do not insist on vaping everywhere, to me that is a matter of courtesy, I do ask "do you mind if I vape?" when I am at somebody's house (most do not mind, but to me it is courteous to ask), but outside, I sit, stand and walk with my PV the way I used to sit, stand and walk with my cigarette. - And I have yet to encounter any (insert nasty noun) who attempts to f** with me. (Ok... I am the do-not-f**-with-me type, but still... ;) )

Yes, be courteous, but do not hide as if you were doing something wrong. That's the ticket! :)

My point exactly!
peep

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'd just like to add that vapor device users are the ones that will affect public opinion of the products. Taking a discrete puff and releasing your vapor downward attracts very little attention, if any at all, but if you start sucking on a giant sausage sized outfit and blow vapor out of your mouth and nose like a dragon it appears gross, rude and disgusting.

Case on point - Every television news item features a reporter in a Vape Shop interviewing a long haired, bearded sales rep with a humongous rig hanging around his neck, and holds the camera on a pimpled, pierced and tattooed chick vaping like an industrial smokestack. This is how their viewers perceive all vapor users. The media seeks out the most unflattering and controversial.

Please leave your big guns at home and have a little class and discretion out in public. Remember that you are the ambassador and will shape the future of e-cigarettes by your own behavior.
peep

Sorry but my "big guns" are what I use all the time. Add liquid maybe once a day, change batteries every other day. Nobody confuses my Portable Electronic Nicotine Inhalant System for a cigarette.

dirtyrice

Jun 17, 2013
Texas
I vape everywhere unless asked to stop and i've yet to have any issues yet. I see no reason to "HIDE" your vapor or use a mix that produces less vapor in public. I don't blow large clouds in peoples faces. I vape at ihop, I vape at red lobster, I vape at ghenghis grill, I vape in airports, I vape at bars. I don't vape in grocery stores so much but that is mostly because i'm in and out. I've never had an issue. If you act like you're doing something wrong that is when you get the kind of attention you don't want. Vaping is just like anything else, the more people see it the more people that get educated.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I vape everywhere unless asked to stop and i've yet to have any issues yet. I see no reason to "HIDE" your vapor or use a mix that produces less vapor in public. I don't blow large clouds in peoples faces. I vape at ihop, I vape at red lobster, I vape at ghenghis grill, I vape in airports, I vape at bars. I don't vape in grocery stores so much but that is mostly because i'm in and out. I've never had an issue. If you act like you're doing something wrong that is when you get the kind of attention you don't want. Vaping is just like anything else, the more people see it the more people that get educated.
1-ThumbsUp_zpsc134b2bb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread