Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Wow! This is very controversial. I'm guilty of vaping in places where smoking wouldn't be allowed. I make it the least noticeable as possible. When I do it, it's only a puff or two, I guess it's just a bad habit. I'll restrain my self from now on for the best. :)
Yes, it is controversial, and unfortunately you came to the wrong conclusion.
:)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Wow! This is very controversial. I'm guilty of vaping in places where smoking wouldn't be allowed. I make it the least noticeable as possible. When I do it, it's only a puff or two, I guess it's just a bad habit. I'll restrain my self from now on for the best. :)

You'll find that both extremes like to claim their way is the only way and predictions of future doom and gloom if you do anything but their way are treated as fact. It's not fact.

At least for now this is a very localized issue.
Illinois has been pretty quiet since one of your area's politicians tried to completely ban ecigs and her or one of the co-sponsors got so educated they ended up saying they wished ecigs had been around before her mother died of cancer.
We've got a minor ban since that goes a little too far but is overall reasonable.
Discrete vaping in public like you have done is probably doing a lot more good than harm. If they ever propose a vaping ban you can write your politicians and tell them that you've vaped in public for X years and nobody has said anything. Anyone who noticed you vaping and didn't find any objection to it will probably be on our side.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Went to Men's Warehouse today with Mr. Robin. And you think women take forever! So anyway, we are there for quite a while, he's trying on things, I'm searching for things for him to try on. We finally get up to the cash register and while they are finalizing the sale, I pull out my PV, getting ready to vape as soon as we walk out. The guy behind the cash register says 'congratulations' to me and points at my PV. I smile and say Thanks! 11 months now without a cig. He's been off and on vaping. Vapes and breaks his whatever kind he had then goes back to smoking. He says that I'm his hero and that he really needs to get back to vaping.

So while waiting for this tort...er sale...to finish, I'm just lightly hitting the PV.

More people get what it is these days.

Steve803

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Deland, Fl
vapinggenius.com
I've been hen-hawing around on this topic for months. I looked for advice on this forum before I joined and would follow the suggestions, hold my breathe, exhale into my shirt, hide out in the bathroom and hang out in smoking areas. I fully understand and can appreciate the feelings that we are being treated like second class citizens or worse, like we are doing something evil even worse then smoking tobacco. IMO I think we are sensitive to this especially because as most of us are ex-smokers we have been treated like the scum of the earth for the last 5 to10 years and it's getting worse every day.

In some way we have to blame ourselves for the way non-smokers feel about us. How many times have we driven behind a smoker that tosses their butts, wrappers, and empty packs out the window of their cars? How many cigarette butts have we seen pilled outside of stores in the gardens or ashtrays dumped in parking lots? Not only do cigarettes stink, many of us are litter bugs. I tried to be conscience of it myself, but not always, so I'm no innocent dult pointing fingers at everyone else. I guess what I'm saying is, now that we are no longer smokers should we feel like we need to hide like we are doing something wrong morally or legally? I think not. I vape when I'm shopping at the grocery store and when I'm out and about. It really depends in the situationI. I don't vape when I'm getting a hair cut or when I'm at game stop because they are small tight stores, but Walmart I sure do unless there are a bunch of people around me. I've come to the conclusion that nobody hides beer from alcoholics or food from people with eating disorders so why should I hide from ex-smokers that quit the hard way or health-nuts that have issues with vaping.

I travel for work and when I first started vaping I would go to the smoking lounges at the atlanta airport, but the smoke was so thick i couldn't breathe. I try to stay aware of my surroundings and will be as discrete as possible especially in crowds, but when I'm on the jetway to the plane I am vaping away bc there is no vaping allowed on the plane. Of course the bathroom is a good hideout if a quick fix is needed. Awareness is getting out there, last month one of the custodians in Atlanta made a comment to another custodian and he told him it was ok bc I wasn't smoking it's an e-cigarette and he also said it's water vapor so the other one let is go. I looked at them and held my PV out and said "It's all good".

I have to say I do get a lot of questions and many smokers ask me about my PV. It's always a good opportunity to share my story and and educate someone that is interested in vaping and quitting smoking. The one thing i try not to do is be in peoples faces with it. Some may say thats what I'm doing by what I'm sharing here, but I beg to differ. All my favorite restaurants are ok with me vaping and since my lungs are healing I can now use the smoking lounges but I really don't like subjecting myself to such harsh conditions. In some way I wonder if hiding our vaping would do us more harm then good, I think if we vape with respect we will have a better opportunity to advance this new culture instead of hurting it. Considering how the media is reporting misinformation on PV's as a whole there is no way we will ever be able to truly vape freely in public.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

JJ1977

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Honestly i vape everywhere except my kids school, I didnt stop analog's so i could still be limited. I haven't had any negitive reactions yet. I vaped on cruises/theaters/resturants/grocery stores. Some people ask me where i got it from, I just in turn give them my local vaping store # and tell them it works.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
i think you people kowtowing to anti smoking nazis are panzies

unless its a private place and the owner doesnt want you vaping there or there is some law in effect that you cant vape there then you should vape wherever you want to vape

its harmless to bystanders so this is more or less like telling people not to wear perfume, not to bbq, not to whatever

screw all that noise

vape on

So if a private business does not have a sign saying no vaping, you think it is fair game? I am hoping and assuming you mean that you find out from management if it is ok to do rather than taking the assumption that is is ok to do so before being stopped. A lot of this is not "kowtowing" but just being courteous and respectful. As it may be harmless, it can in fact be annoying.

Vaping and having the scent stick with you is the same as people wearing perfume and cologne. A person sitting down at a table next to you and then deciding to pull out a bottle of perfume and spritzing it is the same as you pulling out your vape and vaping, and both can be seen as annoying.

But if calling people "panzies" and I think you meant pansies, for being respectful and courteous makes you feel better about your existence, more power to you.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
In a few months this subject will not even be mentioned. The "Topic of the Day" will be "How can they put a $40.00 (insert your tax amount) tax on a bottle of juice. DYI won't help much as the tax will be on the nicotine. I was "Rolling my own" when they raised the taxes on bulk tobacco by 20 fold.

Last edited:

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Well, I'll just give a quick opinion, and be on my way... :)

I personally believe hiding and hulking in shadows will never help to "keep our rights"... because, if you think about it, the current e-cig bans have not been proposed by a lot of "common, everyday people" who have been somehow turned against the e-cig. Those bans were motivated by ideology (it looks like smoking...) sprouted by a small group of haters, who believe to have the right to say how everybody else should live! To fight this small, obnoxious group, we need the support of the bigger group, the "common, everyday people"! That means:

1) We should not be obnoxious ourselves about the e-cig, or else we will turn that group against us;
2) But, we should not hide in corners either, or the bigger group will never know the difference between a cigarette and an e-cig!

As far as I've read here, smoking is already banned in some open spaces, like beaches and parks... to those who say 'only vape were smoking is allowed': would you really restrain yourselves from vaping in places like that?? On what grounds?

Take this example: if people see you vaping in the smoke pit, you will be giving the message that vaping should be treated like smoking. Uninformed people will think that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. Worse than that, misinformed people will see that as a confirmation of what they "already know", because they have "heard it on the news". And later, if you vape elsewere, while you stink of tobacco from that same smoke pit, people will believe what they "already know" also... "the e-cig stinks, and is not so diferent from cigarettes..." (Remember, before the cigarette ban, people were usually more upset by tobacco smell, than concerned about heath effects)

The only way we can 'educate' the "bigger, and yet neutral group", is to let them perceive, in their own experience (not just by 'hear say') that vaping and smoking may seem the same, but there is indeed a great diference between the two. This is important because later, when the small group starts sprouting ideology again, to aim at an ever harsher ban, the bigger group will recognize them for what they are: liars. The bigger group will no longer be deceived, because they have experienced first-hand what is really happening. Hopefully, many of those people will have a smoker friend/relative/sweethart, and will actually know that the e-cig could actually help them, and therefore should not be banned.

We need the support of a big, properly informed group of people to win this!!

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
I wish people wouldn't wear cologne or perfume. Man they usually stink to the high heavens.

"there is some law in effect that you cant vape there" I believe that is what is happening now.

People have been lost on common sense for decades now.

Oh and what about that food your eating, I can't stand that smell, and you have bad breath, and your coffee smells like ......

WELL SAID! :vapor: Vape on dOOds!

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Vaping, like anything is about perception and education.

The fricken politicians are taking advantage of something based on ignorance, and or plain stupidity.

While I agree lets do more research, (so we can have our government subsidize people they favor) to see if in 50 years vaping a gazillion times what a human being could vape causes cancer in lab rats.

Bull Shirt!

If I can eat it, I can vape it! Are these people fricken insane, ah well I guess if we let 'em.... a yup!

There's more harmful chemicals and additives in the processed food we buy and eat from supermarkets than in our vape, and that is substantiated fact!

Last edited:

mediocre toker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Went to Men's Warehouse today with Mr. Robin. And you think women take forever! So anyway, we are there for quite a while, he's trying on things, I'm searching for things for him to try on. We finally get up to the cash register and while they are finalizing the sale, I pull out my PV, getting ready to vape as soon as we walk out. The guy behind the cash register says 'congratulations' to me and points at my PV. I smile and say Thanks! 11 months now without a cig. He's been off and on vaping. Vapes and breaks his whatever kind he had then goes back to smoking. He says that I'm his hero and that he really needs to get back to vaping.

So while waiting for this tort...er sale...to finish, I'm just lightly hitting the PV.

More people get what it is these days.
Hiya Robin. I see more and more people around my bus routes every day all being converted to vaping. It's up to us, the seasoned vaper to show others the way forward and what better way than to vape in public. Just show some discretion.
You are a hero to me also.

In a few months this subject will not even be mentioned. The "Topic of the Day" will be "How can they put a $40.00 (insert your tax amount) tax on a bottle of juice. DYI won't help much as the tax will be on the nicotine. I was "Rolling my own" when they raised the taxes on bulk tobacco by 20 fold.

Agreed. That is why i am starting to stockpile my nicotine @250ml of 54mg a week. Once they treat vaping like a medicine which will be happening 2016 in Britain the taxes will just be a matter of time. Hopefully by then i should have enough nicotine to last me a decade or so.
Freezing seams to be the best storage option BTW

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, I'll just give a quick opinion, and be on my way... :)

I personally believe hiding and hulking in shadows will never help to "keep our rights"... because, if you think about it, the current e-cig bans have not been proposed by a lot of "common, everyday people" who have been somehow turned against the e-cig. Those bans were motivated by ideology (it looks like smoking...) sprouted by a small group of haters, who believe to have the right to say how everybody else should live! To fight this small, obnoxious group, we need the support of the bigger group, the "common, everyday people"! That means:

1) We should not be obnoxious ourselves about the e-cig, or else we will turn that group against us;
2) But, we should not hide in corners either, or the bigger group will never know the difference between a cigarette and an e-cig!

As far as I've read here, smoking is already banned in some open spaces, like beaches and parks... to those who say 'only vape were smoking is allowed': would you really restrain yourselves from vaping in places like that?? On what grounds?

Take this example: if people see you vaping in the smoke pit, you will be giving the message that vaping should be treated like smoking. Uninformed people will think that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. Worse than that, misinformed people will see that as a confirmation of what they "already know", because they have "heard it on the news". And later, if you vape elsewere, while you stink of tobacco from that same smoke pit, people will believe what they "already know" also... "the e-cig stinks, and is not so diferent from cigarettes..." (Remember, before the cigarette ban, people were usually more upset by tobacco smell, than concerned about heath effects)

The only way we can 'educate' the "bigger, and yet neutral group", is to let them perceive, in their own experience (not just by 'hear say') that vaping and smoking may seem the same, but there is indeed a great diference between the two. This is important because later, when the small group starts sprouting ideology again, to aim at an ever harsher ban, the bigger group will recognize them for what they are: liars. The bigger group will no longer be deceived, because they have experienced first-hand what is really happening. Hopefully, many of those people will have a smoker friend/relative/sweethart, and will actually know that the e-cig could actually help them, and therefore should not be banned.

We need the support of a big, properly informed group of people to win this!!
This post is one of the top five posts of all time, and it should be a sticky.
:)

You pretty much just put into words everything that matters.
Your logic is beyond reproach, and everyone should agree with exactly what you said.
:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread