Vapor King: Automatic/Manual Batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
I have both autos & manuals and like them both equally. I have not personally had any VK battery fail.

I do think that the manuals are probably more durable.

The manuals are sealed, so a leaking carto isn't likely to hurt it.

When I see where someone has dropped their battery and killed it, it seems its always an auto. I can't remember seeing where a manual died from dropping, but it could happen.

With autos, you don't have to be worried about the button getting pressed while its in your pocket.

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
I prefer manuals, I think the TH is better and like others have said, not as much 'issues' arise from them. The one auto regular size I have is kept in my PCC for emergencies, I've hardly used it. BUT I adore my chrome extra long auto, it's got a 13 sec cut off so you can really drag on it. Goes great with butterscotch cartos :D

Desertfremen

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
MI
I personally prefer manuals. I don't mind hitting the button, I don't even think much of it anymore. Plus, to me, you do get better TH off a manual and I find them to be much more durable. I killed an auto by dropping it. I've dropped my manuals several times and they work just fine.

Also, I find the manuals have an easier draw.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
Manuel for me... all the way!

own 5, 4 reg mans and one xl....

have one auto (xl)...and i like it just fine, but personally i like the man's waaayyy better....... here's why,

the fact that the auto i have is the old 5 sec cut plays a large role in this,
the 5 man's are all 10sec cutt's....

but, with the man's...
you can 'override' the cut by quickly releasing the button, then quickly depressing it again.... the batt "think" new cycle, and a whole new FULL cutt time is reactivated within it....

so, i can essentially (which i do quite often) take about a 9sec hit, quickly release then engage the button (while still hitting) and continue on for the rest of the full 10sec...(and sure if you wanted to, this could go on indefinetely....but probably shouldn't be done)...

so now, i have nearly a full 20sec hit with 'no cuttoff'

manuals.... all the way

*and, no need to prime.... though i never do that with the auto anyway!*

freerangehuman

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2009
Hebron, IN
XL manual rocks! Lasts longer, can power vape with less suction. I started with reg. autos, and like them very much although one died on me. The V4L crew took care of me on that one...but the autos seem to need more frequent cleanings, and if the vents aren't lined up you could suck out a filling! LOL, well its not quite that bad, but the chrome XL manual draws like a PT and looks pretty badass too!

I am a mechanic and it seems the more technology they put into the vehicles, the more problems seem to arise. I know batteries are not quite the same as a 40,000lb truck. but it seems the more automated moving parts the engineers install, the more they break down.

You would be right about that. Seems like the newer cars get, the harder they are to work on, especially for your average joe. Thanks for replying.

i prefer the manuals.

1. i do think i have better vape from them: more vape/throat hit for force of draw, if that makes sense
2. i much prefer the fact that the manuals are sealed inside (so overfills/gunk/moisture isn't an issue)
3. i seem to hear about more issues with autos here than manuals. that said i have a couple of autos that haven't had an issue--but i haven't used them much, either.

Well, it seems like to this point, many more people prefer manual batteries, compared to the automatics. It's the direction I was leaning towards. Thanks for your input.

I love using my autos, but I refill and have already killed one. I now use manuals for refilled carts and autos for the fresh ones.

The only think I don't like about manuals is that heavy vaping makes my finger sore. Would be nice if the button was a softer rubber IMO.

Seems to make the perfect sense. I like that logic that your using. Something I'll be sure to look in to. Your right, I can imagine that heavy vaping could make your finger sore, but I wouldn't worry about it that much. Thanks for the feedback.

I have both autos & manuals and like them both equally. I have not personally had any VK battery fail.

I do think that the manuals are probably more durable.

The manuals are sealed, so a leaking carto isn't likely to hurt it.

When I see where someone has dropped their battery and killed it, it seems its always an auto. I can't remember seeing where a manual died from dropping, but it could happen.

With autos, you don't have to be worried about the button getting pressed while its in your pocket.

Seems like a case of preference, though many people seem to prefer the manual batteries, due to durability. Appreciate the feedback.

I prefer manuals, I think the TH is better and like others have said, not as much 'issues' arise from them. The one auto regular size I have is kept in my PCC for emergencies, I've hardly used it. BUT I adore my chrome extra long auto, it's got a 13 sec cut off so you can really drag on it. Goes great with butterscotch cartos :D

Everyone is about saying the same thing about loving their manual batteries. Butterscotch, mmmm. =D Thanks for commenting.

I personally prefer manuals. I don't mind hitting the button, I don't even think much of it anymore. Plus, to me, you do get better TH off a manual and I find them to be much more durable. I killed an auto by dropping it. I've dropped my manuals several times and they work just fine.

Also, I find the manuals have an easier draw.

The idea of just dropping an automatic battery and it dying is sad. I rather have durability and deal with pushing a button, which I don't mind to start with. Appreciate your input.

I like my manual better so far. It's only been about two weeks now. About to order a short manual and an extra long manual to see which I like better.

Straight and simple. Straight to the point. Glad to hear you enjoy your manual battery. Thanks for commenting.

Manuel for me... all the way!

own 5, 4 reg mans and one xl....

have one auto (xl)...and i like it just fine, but personally i like the man's waaayyy better....... here's why,

the fact that the auto i have is the old 5 sec cut plays a large role in this,
the 5 man's are all 10sec cutt's....

but, with the man's...
you can 'override' the cut by quickly releasing the button, then quickly depressing it again.... the batt "think" new cycle, and a whole new FULL cutt time is reactivated within it....

so, i can essentially (which i do quite often) take about a 9sec hit, quickly release then engage the button (while still hitting) and continue on for the rest of the full 10sec...(and sure if you wanted to, this could go on indefinetely....but probably shouldn't be done)...

so now, i have nearly a full 20sec hit with 'no cuttoff'

manuals.... all the way

*and, no need to prime.... though i never do that with the auto anyway!*

Very well thought out and put explanation on why you prefer manual batteries, rather than the automatic. I didn't even think about a couple points that you made. I really appreciate the input you provided.

XL manual rocks! Lasts longer, can power vape with less suction. I started with reg. autos, and like them very much although one died on me. The V4L crew took care of me on that one...but the autos seem to need more frequent cleanings, and if the vents aren't lined up you could suck out a filling! LOL, well its not quite that bad, but the chrome XL manual draws like a PT and looks pretty badass too!

That's what I like to hear and from everything I've heard on this thread, it seems that I will probably enjoy the manuals batteries as well. I appreciate the input from you and everyone else that commented.

SunmanX

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Norman OK
Kind of off-topic:

Is it ok to leave the batteries on the charger after they are charged? I try to take them out when the light goes blue so they don't "overcharge" like the manual says, but I've seen posts on lithium batteries that says when the charger light goes off the charger stops sending power to the device. What do you guys recommend?

flying low

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
San Mateo, CA
Sunman, you're not going to hurt the battery by leaving it on the charger. I do it a lot and haven't killed one yet.

As far as auto vs manual - personally, I prefer the manual (due to the control freak in me in addition to not feeling like trying to draw a golf ball out of a hose). My boyfriend, however, loves his auto's - especially the new XL auto! He uses the auto PT when he games and he likes having the auto's for when he's driving - heck, he just prefers the auto's but like someone else said, he's just plain lazy (his words, not mine). I suppose I should give the auto's another try, he said the newer ones have a much better draw.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
The decision to charge/not charge is a negotiation between the MCU in the battery and the MCU in the charger. You can leave it on the charger as long as you like and "it'll do the right thing" (unless the battery is discharged too far and the negotiation doesn't go well. In which case, the battery needs to be allowed to "rest" and then you can try again).

That's the reason you see the light flash on the front of the battery as the charger light turns red (in the case of the AC charger). That's telling you that they've successfully hand-shaked and the charger has determined that it needs a charge.

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
A question for you manual-battery folks... Do you have any trouble with the battery switch mistakenly engaging while in your pocket or purse?

I've been enjoying the newest auto XL batts and never worry about throwing one in my pocket during the day. I like the idea of manual control, but it seems that the manual batts would present problems if on the go. Anyone here have any insight? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread