Vapor residue on walls, carpet etc. Need help/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
I just picture the OP sitting in a corner vaping in front of a baby air filter. Lol
To the OP, you said you didn't want to break the rules-right? So using air filter and vaping inside is breaking your promise to the landlord...right?

Listen...open some windows and turn on a fan. Sounds like you are very concerned about this and its making vaping more of a headache then anything. Lighten up bud. What's the worst that could happen? You move out years down the line and you get slapped with a $300 cleaning fee?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Yes, but they stated that it was being "sucked". And you can't get a vapor/fog without it being "ignited" so to speak

Seems to me that report was testing the actual vapor produced, not just the raw juice.

you can not run a Gas chromatography test on a vapor or gas. because the Gas chromatography machine turns liquids and solids into gases.

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
I chain vape and my wife vapes a moderate amount , between thetwo of us about 6ml.e day 99% indoors. Do we worry about the residue, not at all but then I on the house and all of its' furnishings free and clear. There is a residue ,I can smell t in my clothes many hours later even the next day at times. We are savinga lot of mone on spray air freshners.:)

OP agreeded to not vape inside of someone else's property which they are merely renting and a pearson's word should be their bond. I truely dislike this screw you I will do as I please as long as you do not see me attitude so many have these days.

Huh? That's exactly the attitude that he has. He's still breaking his word. He's trying to find a way around getting caught. That's sneaky. To me that's more dishonest then actually vaping inside and discarding what his landlord said.:confused:

Wes F.

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Guam
I chain vape and my wife vapes a moderate amount , between thetwo of us about 6ml.e day 99% indoors. Do we worry about the residue, not at all but then I on the house and all of its' furnishings free and clear. There is a residue ,I can smell t in my clothes many hours later even the next day at times. We are savinga lot of mone on spray air freshners.:)

OP agreeded to not vape inside of someone else's property which they are merely renting and a pearson's word should be their bond. I truely dislike this screw you I will do as I please as long as you do not see me attitude so many have these days.

Ah, thanks for twisting my words. That's not what I'm saying, if we were talking about cigarettes, cigars, ......... or anything else you smoke I would totally agree. We are not though, the landlord isn't going to tell you not to caramelize onions, sauté garlic or make a reduction when you're cooking because it will leave residue. Those leave way more residue and stink in your house from vapor. The guy is obviously uninformed and thinks his walls are going to be covered in tar or something.

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
I just picture the OP sitting in a corner vaping in front of a baby air filter. Lol
To the OP, you said you didn't want to break the rules-right? So using air filter and vaping inside is breaking your promise to the landlord...right?

Listen...open some windows and turn on a fan. Sounds like you are very concerned about this and its making vaping more of a headache then anything. Lighten up bud. What's the worst that could happen? You move out years down the line and you get slapped with a $300 cleaning fee?

You misunderstand, I would offer this solution up to the landlord to get their approval. And like I said, the situation is what it is, don't try to pick it apart, because it is not helping.

you can not run a Gas chromatography test on a vapor or gas. because the Gas chromatography machine turns liquids and solids into gases.

Check the report, I don't know what to say other than that. They absorbed the vapor from a ecig into some kind of charcoal tube to later break down with some kind of fancy machine that shows the % of the ingredients absorbed.

Another link: http://casaa.org/uploads/LibertyStixLabAnalysis072309.pdf

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
OP posted

however I have been specifically told by my landlord not to vape (or smoke) indoors due to the possibility of residue building up. I agreed to this and will not break my promise.

Huh? That's exactly the attitude that he has. He's still breaking his word. He's trying to find a way around getting caught

No he is not. He is seeking info to show landlord that vapingwill no coat dweeling with contaminants whic in my opinion it will but no more so than cooking , making wax candles, using a keosen latern or heater during a power outage or perhaps even just bunring scented candles as so many seem so fond of these days. r

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
yeah.. most people say this test http://casaa.org/uploads/LibertyStixLabAnalysis072309.pdf
is epic trash. notice the e-cigs are vertical with the carto at the bottom and the tips are glowing. meaning that they are under a vacuum. ever tried that with a carto? tip your head back and try to hit the e-cig with it pointing straight up in the air? i have! and i got quite a bit of juice in my mouth.. so we can figure a lot of raw juice wound up in that carbon filter. they did extract this "vapor" (cant really call it that) from the filter then run that through there "Hewlett-Packard 6890 Gas Chromatograph/ Hewlett-Packard 5973 Mass
Spectrometer"... LOL @ scientists! they know just enough to be dangerous ;)

Last edited:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Hi OP. tons of people have already commented but I would like to add that I also checked the places where I vape regularly & my car has no vaping residue on the window or roof (like it would have with smokes) and the area where I usually sit & vape in the house also has no residue. I'm thinking if residue does build up it would take a very very long time (like longer than 2 years since that's how long I've been vaping).

edit: since I can tell you feel like you want to give your landlord peace of mind about what you're doing I would say that if you want to appease him maybe just get a small air purifier that's not too expensive. Any room can benefit from an air purifier anyway so it's not like it would be a complete waste to have it in your apartment even if you know you don't "need" it for vaping.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
so, um, if there isn't much of a residue, almost any air purifier will work perfectly well. ;)

If I understand properly, the OP is trying to do it right. He needs to convince the landlord that there won't be a residue that will harm others or require excess cleaning. While most of us understand that this isn't really an issue, the landlord doesn't, and it doesn't make much sense to give the OP a hard time for trying to do things in a straightforward and honest manner. The landlord needs a bit more information

So, find an inexpensive air purifier, and the articles showing that the vapor doesn't have harmful chemicals, the drexel technical report is a good one (and others found at CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association ), and give it your best shot.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/propylene_glycol_red.pdf

Air Sanitizer
Read the directions included with the automatic dispenser for proper installation of unit and
refill. Remove cap from aerosol can and place in a sequential aerosol dispenser which
automatically releases a metered amount every 15 minutes. One unit should treat 6000 ft of
closed air space. Dispenser should be located at a height of eight feet and at a point where wind
flow will carry the particles throughout the area. Each spray dose is 100 mg and the median
particle size is 30 microns. For regular, non-metered applications, spray room until a light fog
forms. To sanitize the air, spray 6 to 8 seconds in an average size room (10' x10').

Hard, Non-Porous Surface Disinfectant
Spray surface until thoroughly wet and let stand 10 minutes, then wipe with a dry paper towel.
On non-porous surfaces, rinse surface with water. To sanitize non-porous surfaces, spray until
wet. Let stand one minute, then wipe. To prevent mold and mildew on pre-cleaned non-porous
surfaces, spray surface until wet. Allow to air dry. Repeat application on pre-cleaned surface at
weekly intervals.

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
PG and VG are made up of Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen. with enough heat (the heating coil gets hot enough) the chemical bonds are broken and MOST OF but not all of the PG and VG are turned into new chemicals H20 and CO2.

This is wrong, the test on the CASAA site shows that.

chromatogram [ˈkrəʊmətəˌgræm krəʊˈmæt-]. n. 1. (Chemistry) a column or strip of material containing constituents of a mixture separated by chromatography

what your seeing is not data from the vapor produced by the E-cig.... its data from gas chromatography tests they ran....

EDIT: maybe i can explain this better... they did not run a gas chromatography test on the vapor the e-cig produces. they just used raw unvaped juice (E-liquid) in a gas chromatography test.
This is wrong and can be clearly seen on the study on the CASAA site

Check the report, I don't know what to say other than that. They absorbed the vapor from a ecig into some kind of charcoal tube to later break down with some kind of fancy machine that shows the % of the ingredients absorbed.

Another link: http://casaa.org/uploads/LibertyStixLabAnalysis072309.pdf

ITPython is correct and happydave is wrong. The study on the CASAA site quoted shows this very clearly.

yeah.. most people say this test http://casaa.org/uploads/LibertyStixLabAnalysis072309.pdf
is an epic trash. notice the e-cigs are vertical with the carto at the bottom and the tips are glowing. meaning that they are creating a vacuum. ever tried that with a carto? tip your head back and try to hit the e-cig with it pointing straight up in the air? i have! and i got quite a bit of juice in my mouth.. so we can figure a lot of raw juice wound up in that carbon filter. they did extract this "vapor" (cant really call it that) from the filter then run that through there "Hewlett-Packard 6890 Gas Chromatograph/ Hewlett-Packard 5973 Mass
Spectrometer"... LOL @ scientists! they know just enough to be dangerous ;)

Getting slightly desperate and speculative in your arguments now happydave. Sometimes it's just best to stop digging when you are so wrong.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
From EPA document posted by DC2:
Unlike other pesticides for which EPA has followed a cumulative risk approach based on a common mechanism of toxicity, EPA has not made a common mechanism of toxicity finding for propylene or dipropylene glycol and any other substances. Neither propylene nor dipropylene glycol appear to produce a toxic metabolite produced by other substances. For the purposes of this action, therefore, EPA has not assumed that propylene or dipropylene glycol have a common mechanism of toxicity with other substances.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
A simple demonstration for your landlord:

You will need 1 lit cigarette
1 working PV
2 tissues

1st test: take a puff off the cigarette, place the tissue against your lips, blow the SMOKE through the tissue, put out cigarette, set that tissue aside.
2nd test: take a puff off the ecig, place tissue against your lips, blow the VAPOR through the tissue, set PV aside.

Compare both tissues.

Do this in front of the landlord. See his reaction.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Getting slightly desperate and speculative in your arguments now happydave. Sometimes it's just best to stop digging when you are so wrong.

im sorry i don't understand what your are suggesting? people make mistakes when conducting tests all the time... this case included...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread