Vapor residue on walls, carpet etc. Need help/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
So... about the residue thing. I had assumed no residue but it seems I was wrong. I am thinking of what might happen in the lungs regarding this residue issue, from a health perspective. I would hope the lungs would be able to move the residue out without any complications? I certainly can have a heavy evening of chain vaping and feel heavy chested the next day, but that passes after a period of abstinence. Need I worry? That's assuming it's not an unknown

We have sound, logical reasoning for belief that vaping is much safer than smoking. Because there's no fire there's no smoke, and no resultant thousands of potentially carcinogenic chemicals produced by combustion.

Are the substances we're inhaling safe from a health perspective? We can't say that, but the basis for the assumption that it's safer is solid.

If you are worried about potential health effects of vaping, try changing your inhalation technique. Don't draw deeply into the lungs. Instead, draw slowly like you would on a milkshake straw and exhaling through the nose, or draw just into the nasal and esophageal passages and hold it there for a second or two. The nicotine rush is actually more pronounced with this technique, and none of the vapor is drawn deeply into the lungs.

Phairoh

Aug 16, 2013
Chicago
So... about the residue thing. I had assumed no residue but it seems I was wrong. I am thinking of what might happen in the lungs regarding this residue issue, from a health perspective. I would hope the lungs would be able to move the residue out without any complications? I certainly can have a heavy evening of chain vaping and feel heavy chested the next day, but that passes after a period of abstinence. Need I worry? That's assuming it's not an unknown

I don't think it's cause to worry, as it's generally accepted that PG and VG are non-toxic to humans and can be metabolized by the body. It is something to keep in mind, however, as it's one of those things that we do not know about vaping long term. One cigarette isn't going to kill you (unless you choke on it...) but the accumulate of tar and other carcinogens in your body overtime certainly does. PG and VG as far as we know are not carcinogens, but that doesn't mean that potentially some other ailment could afflict individuals who expose their lungs to these chemicals over a long period of time. This is why e-cigs are harm reduction, not harm removal and this is why long term in depth studies are absolutely necessary.

But for now, yeah don't worry about it. Having some PG and VG in your lungs is way better than the tar.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
OP agreeded to not vape inside of someone else's property which they are merely renting and a pearson's word should be their bond. I truely dislike this screw you I will do as I please as long as you do not see me attitude so many have these days.

I agree and hope anything I said was not interpretted like that....I think we were all trying to approach this from a 2 fold step:

1) find him more data/information about the expelled vapor so that he would not have to spend gobs of $$ on expensive air filtering devices, and information that might also help him talk to his landlord
2) discuss reasonbly priced filtering options that are available to solve his problem

I agree with you though and also respect this poster's commitment to keep his word.

The problem always seems to be that we don't have enough information to answer some questions and yet, we are always needing those answers. Unfortunately, that is not something we as customer of vaping gear and products can fix right now. (Since the projections that this has passed the billion $$ mark in terms of projected sales, I would say the industry will sure find the motivation to get the answers though, you can bet on that. :laugh: ) I am only a user of the end product, I don't manufacture or sell it. :)

Last edited:

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Did a bit of searching prior to this, got some decent answers, but sadly many admit to residue building up (windows in cars for example) due to vaping. It may be easy to clean from what I read, however I have been specifically told by my landlord not to vape (or smoke) indoors due to the possibility of residue building up. I agreed to this and will not break my promise.

Here's the thing though, my landlord will listen to reason, and if I can come up with a way to stop (or severely limit) the buildup, I will likely be able to vape indoors once again.

I did some research on air purifiers/filters, and came to the following conclusion:

- HEPA filter is for bigger particles like dust, allergens, mold, but is not too great vs smoke, gas, odors or chemical fumes
- Ionizer would sort of do the trick, however from what I read it simply makes particles heavier so they fall to the floor. Which is not ideal.
- UVC filter, obviously this would not stop any particles from attaching to the walls etc. Great for killing airborne mold/bacteria though.
- Carbon filtering, this seems to be my best bet, as it is good for removing smoke particles, cigarette smoke, gases, chemicals and odors, and doesn't release the particles back into the air.

I went ahead and purchased this small air filtering unit from Amazon, seems to be well received by people, is less than $20 and it does use carbon filtering: LINK

My plan is to literally blow the exhaled vapor into the device, thus keeping the vapor nearly 100% filtered and, hopefully, dealt with.

I suppose I just want some advice/suggestions on this subject and whether or not PG/VG, flavoring, and nicotine particles would be successfully stopped by a carbon filter. I assume if it can deal with tobacco smoke, it should have no problem dealing with ecig vapor, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe a HEPA filter would be all I need?

I really want to be able to vape indoors again, so any comments/experiences/advice you have, please post it! :2cool:

BS............................

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I just set a fan up at my desk that is pointed directly at wood paneling, some papers, stainless coffee mug, and a polyester/cotton patch. Everything is clean, so I will report back in a month with any residue build up. I'll have to include how much I was actually at my desk. If I'm actually working, I won't be at my desk..but let's just hope that I will be at my desk for most of the month..:)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Did a bit of searching prior to this, got some decent answers, but sadly many admit to residue building up (windows in cars for example) due to vaping. It may be easy to clean from what I read, however I have been specifically told by my landlord not to vape (or smoke) indoors due to the possibility of residue building up. I agreed to this and will not break my promise.

Here's the thing though, my landlord will listen to reason, and if I can come up with a way to stop (or severely limit) the buildup, I will likely be able to vape indoors once again.

I did some research on air purifiers/filters, and came to the following conclusion:

- HEPA filter is for bigger particles like dust, allergens, mold, but is not too great vs smoke, gas, odors or chemical fumes
- Ionizer would sort of do the trick, however from what I read it simply makes particles heavier so they fall to the floor. Which is not ideal.
- UVC filter, obviously this would not stop any particles from attaching to the walls etc. Great for killing airborne mold/bacteria though.
- Carbon filtering, this seems to be my best bet, as it is good for removing smoke particles, cigarette smoke, gases, chemicals and odors, and doesn't release the particles back into the air.

I went ahead and purchased this small air filtering unit from Amazon, seems to be well received by people, is less than $20 and it does use carbon filtering: LINK

My plan is to literally blow the exhaled vapor into the device, thus keeping the vapor nearly 100% filtered and, hopefully, dealt with.

I suppose I just want some advice/suggestions on this subject and whether or not PG/VG, flavoring, and nicotine particles would be successfully stopped by a carbon filter. I assume if it can deal with tobacco smoke, it should have no problem dealing with ecig vapor, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe a HEPA filter would be all I need?

I really want to be able to vape indoors again, so any comments/experiences/advice you have, please post it! :2cool:

:shock: Say WHUUUUUUUUUUUT????!!!???? :shock:

I have been living in my beautiful PRISTINE Home for over two years and do NOT have this problem. :smokie:

I vape in our Truck constantly.... do not have this problem.

If you can 'cook' in your Home, you can 'vape' in your Home. It's harmless, tea-kettle like Vapor. It will not cause any form of residual build up anywhere. I've never even heard of that prior to reading this thread. Unless you're vaping OIL! :lol:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As a landlord myself, if the information provided does not change the mind of this landlord, I agree with the poster who said you might want to find another.
I assure you any landlord would LOVE to have a tenant that displays your integrity and level of compliance in what you are willing to tolerate.

If I'm renting, I am damn sure going to vape in my residence.
If that means finding another residence, then that is what I would do for sure.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
PG and VG are made up of Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen. with enough heat (the heating coil gets hot enough) the chemical bonds are broken and MOST OF but not all of the PG and VG are turned into new chemicals H20 and CO2. rough estimate is about half of the nicotine is destroyed and some of the flavor is also destroyed. you do inhale/exhale a very very small amount of PG and VG but that residue is the mostly flavoring and coloring. the flavors that are used can withstand high temps.. here is a fun test. take a white paper towel and exhale through the paper towel do this until you have a large wet spot on the towel hold it up to a light you will see colored areas on the towel. that is the artificial color / flavoring. now let the towel air dry. PG and VG do not evaporate at room temperature so if your correct and you are exhaling mostly PG and VG then the towel will stay wet for a very long time. but if its water vapor H20 like i just explained it will evaporate very fast in a matter of hours and the paper will dry out with no signs of moisture at all. so give it try and tell us what you think!

I have to reply to this now (even though it may have already been addressed) - PG and/or VG is not thermally (with heat) broken down in an ecig atomizer; or if it is, then the atomizer is not operating correctly. A correctly operating atomizer coil will not reach the temperatures required for thermal decomposition of these compounds. What happens in the atomizer is vaporization; think of boiling water - the liquid and the steam are the same compound (water) in different phases (liquid/gas).
For PG/VG to be broken down into H2O and CO2, the temperature in the atomizer would have to reach ~500 C (~930 F).

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
:shock: Say WHUUUUUUUUUUUT????!!!???? :shock:

I have been living in my beautiful PRISTINE Home for over two years and do NOT have this problem. :smokie:

I vape in our Truck constantly.... do not have this problem.

If you can 'cook' in your Home, you can 'vape' in your Home. It's harmless, tea-kettle like Vapor. It will not cause any form of residual build up anywhere. I've never even heard of that prior to reading this thread. Unless you're vaping OIL! :lol:

I have had a buildup, very slight though, on the windshield ONLY of my vehicle. I attribute it to blowing the vape forward with windows up. Because I am close to the windshield, it cannot naturally evaporate into the air before hitting the windshield. There has never been the residue on the side windows though. I have now taken to blowing the vape downwards and have not had that residue develope on the windshield. It was just a clear, slightly smeary residue that built up over months of vaping in the car. A single windex sheet took care of it very quickly, unlike when there was smoke residue.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
you can not run a Gas chromatography test on a vapor or gas. because the Gas chromatography machine turns liquids and solids into gases.

Actually, yes you can. The vapor or gas can be trapped on a filter unit which is then attached inline on the Gas Chromatograph (GC). This unit can then be heated to release the gas/vapor and introduced into the GC for analysis. This is just one of the techniques for analysis of gases (vapors) using GC.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
I have had a buildup, very slight though, on the windshield ONLY of my vehicle. I attribute it to blowing the vape forward with windows up. Because I am close to the windshield, it cannot naturally evaporate into the air before hitting the windshield. There has never been the residue on the side windows though. I have now taken to blowing the vape downwards and have not had that residue develope on the windshield. It was just a clear, slightly smeary residue that built up over months of vaping in the car. A single windex sheet took care of it very quickly, unlike when there was smoke residue.

The OPs Landlord does not rent him his vehicle.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Sorry for your landlord OP..
Your going to either vape inside and do no property harm, or get told to leave. one of the two...
Cooking food will probably kill (hide) all the effects of what vaping residue can leave behind.
I don't know if vapor will even make it to a filter, if it is not right in front of you when you vape..
Just leave an open bottle of cologne laying around somewhere near the front door, it will probably take care of the nice pleasant aromas your vaping is leaving behind.. Good Luck...

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
The OPs Landlord does not rent him his vehicle.

My response was to another person that didn't believe that a buildup could occur on a vehicle windshield.
I do not feel that in the home there is any buildup. The vape is being dissapated in a larger area than in a car. I do not have buildup on my computer screen, but I do blow it out to the side since I would like to see the screen. :)

kelli

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2013
cocoon of lunacy
muchadoaboutnothing.jpg

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
What if the OP lays out the expense for the filter system and the landlord mistakes residue from cooking for vapor residue, thinks he's lied to him the whole time, and pings him for that?
if it got to that point:
I would probably contest the eviction in court, the purpose of the no vaping rule was put there "in writing I hope" for the purpose of property degradation, so if they can find explicit vape residue, by means of some of test ??? - I would welcome it.. As long as you can cook in the place, I don't see an eviction notice that would stand up... I don't think they could find nicotine contamination anywhere either, unless juice spilled somewhere..
Maybe the management would come about in their rules..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread