Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The Tahiti cold pressed does not taste fresh to me, more like those frozen cans you buy.
It is the closest to fresh fruit that I have tasted so far; but I respect your own take on it too. It may be that I have not had closer yet, that I am calling is fresh(er).:)
The FA Florida key lime is the one that tastes like fresh lime juice but fades as quickly as FA lemon Sicily.
I like FA-Lemon Sicily; and I agree about the fade. Some how, it kind of makes (some?) sense to me that a lime by the same mfg. might have a similar problem.

Regardless, I may need to check out FA's FKL, as it sounds closer to what I am wanting. Thanks for the input.:thumb:

I am eager to hear how your impression of VTA-Persian Lime develops as you have a chance to put it through its paces.
Bite for me does not equal bitter. Bite is just what I feel on my tongue and does not refer to taste.:)
As I read your comment, I have to agree; bite is more sensation based, while bitter is more flavor based. You defined that well.:D

I find the FA-Tahiti Distilled has ample amounts of both. It reminds me of what I taste when I nibble on a bit of lime zest... noticeable bite (prickly?), along with a bitter astringency;)
We need a flavor tasting glossary.:lol:
That would make life too easy!
6213.gif

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
I've been enjoying mixing with the Pudding Base (VTA) these last few weeks. To me, it's like a yellow pudding flavor. Rich & creamy, thick mouthfeel with a slight cakey texture. I'm looking forward to trying some flavored pudding mixes soonish. I've used it in a couple of adapted, for me, recipes so far & am pretty pleased. I will be getting a big bottle next time... :D

I'm vaping these now... :cool:

Butter Almond Custard *Original by Krucial on ATF
Custard (INW) 2%
Pudding Base (VTA) 2%
Butterscotch Ripple (FW) 3.5%
Yellow Cake (FW) 1.5%
Almond (FA) 1.5%
Sweetener (TFA) 1% (Optional)

Hazelnut Custard *Original by Tootall - (modified version of the above)
Custard (INW) 2%
Pudding Base (VTA) 2%
Butterscotch Ripple (FW) 3.5%
Hazelnuts and Cream (WF) 2.25%
Yellow Cake (FW) 1.5%
Sweetener (TFA) 1% (Optional)

Age 2 weeks... :)

These both look like really good recipes. Thanks @dobroeutro ! This will help light a fire under my .... to get mixing with that Pudding Base. (I like that touch of Yellow Cake there - well worth the gunking of the coils ;))

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Sugarloaf pineapple is a lovely pineapple, perfect for sherbet or sorbet but shines when mixed with Purilum pineapple 2:1. Those 2 for me are a perfect pineapple imo. Paired they ate good pineapple only mix. Adding Fa green apple tart is a lovely simple and refreshing vape.

I have Purilum Golden Pineapple. Is this the one you mentioned or is there another? In my tasting notes, I felt it was a sweet, cooked pineapple, juicier than CAP Golden and not acidic. I haven't tried mixing with it yet. Thanks for the review. I will give it a go.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Has anyone tried the Devon Cream?

I have it but haven't tried it yet. It sounds like it would work well with fruit - a sweet, thick cream. I am going to try it in my raspberry concoction just to see how it fares. From the review, I think it will work well with raspberry.

r/DIY_eJuice - Vape Train Devon Cream

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I ordered VTA Botanical Gin and their Tonic from Chefs Flavours and am SO glad I did. I contacted Bull City Flavors to ask if they might start carrying these flavors as they are excellent. The reply was that they are trying to get the ENTIRE VTA line!!! *fingers crossed*

My flavor notes:

• Botanical Gin

Tested at 4%. This is a very good with a hint of sweetness that manages to be moderately boozy. Well-rounded like a high-end gin, with a citrus note and a pleasant juniper note paired with some clean green leafy notes in the back end. Just as good as the more expensive Flavor Monks gins (according to the Noted testers). Better than FA with less juniper. Use this at 2 to 4% depending on how much gin flavor you want in the mix. (some mixers use it at 7%) 4% gives me the flavor of a good gin. Excellent!
  • Tonic Water

Tested at 3%. This actually tastes like tonic water though the flavor is light. There is definitely a quinine bitter note that becomes more prominent with a steep. That bitterness lingers after the exhale. For the most authentic tonic water flavor, steep for 7 days. The only complaint I have with this flavor is that there no effervescence. Tonic is supposed to be effervescent so that is disappointing. Still, if you want a Gin & Tonic, this will do the trick. .5% VTA Fizzy Sherbet will help with the effervescence. I would say 3 to 4% depending on how much tonic you want to taste.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Now for the lemons. I have found my new favorites at VTA, both flavors that BCF doesn't carry yet. I hope that changes.

VAPE TRAIN

• Lemonade (Clear)

Tested at 7%. Strong, sour lemon on the S&V. After 48 hours, it is a fairly sweet/tart lemonade flavor. After 7 days, the lemonade flavor is stronger. At 18 days, it is still bright and delicious. It is a bright tart, realistic lemonade with no fizz. Of the lemonades I have tried, this is my favorite. I would use it like LA Lemonade at the same percentages, though this lemonade flavor is brighter and tarter and just a more fresh lemonade tasting than LA. Use this as the primary lemonade flavor at 4%-7%. As a background 2%-4%, stand-alone 7%-10%. This the perfect lemonade for mixing with other fruit flavors to make a Pink Lemonade or another fruit lemonade as the lemon flavor will hold up. It does fade though not after two weeks. I don't know how long until the fade begins.
  • Lemonade (Solo)

Tested at 6%. This is stronger than the Clear but a bit perfumy on the S&V. Mostly a sweet flavor at this point. At 7 days, it is a sweet, soft lemonade flavor with less perfume on the exhale and the lemonade flavor is about equal to the Clear but sweeter, yet rather sharp and acidic. At 18 days, the flavor has faded a bit and lacks the bright lemon flavor of Clear. There is a very light perception of effervescence. This will probably be best used at 2% in a mix. There is better effervescence from other flavors, like Fizzy Sherbet or RF Soda Base, so I don't see that Lemonade Solo fills a void in flavors.
  • Sour Lemon

Tested at 3.5%. Tart and bright after 48 hours if a bit weak. At 7 days, the flavor is stronger but doesn't give the sour I expected from something called Sour Lemon. At 15 days, the sourness has increased. This is now a pleasant sour juicy lemon including a bit of lemon flesh. It is the tartest of the all the lemons I have tried. I LOVE THIS FLAVOR! It is great for adding some real tart lemon to a lemon or lemonade mix. 2 to 3% will do the trick. There is no noticeable fade at 19 days.

Last edited:

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Revised Vape Train Apple Flavor Notes after mixing with them.

VAPE TRAIN
  • Granny Smith Apple

Tested at 2%. This is sweet and juicy on the inhale and turns tart on the exhale. There is a hint of peel at the end of the vape. It is fairly true to a Granny Smith Apple and definitely an authentic green apple. The flavor is tart-sweet, bright, crisp, and fresh. Juicy is a real plus with this flavor as juicy is rare in an apple flavor. I’d use as a main note 3%-5%, background 2%-3%, accent 1%-2% and stand-alone at 5%- 10%. This should mix well with other apple flavors, any fruit that needs some apple, cocktails vapes, and even bakeries. This one is worth owning if you like apple and no steep is needed.
  • Green Apple

Tested at 2%. This is a juicy, tart, green apple. It tastes very fresh and authentic. The tartness increases with a 2 week steep. It is much like the Granny Smith flavor from Vape Train only more tart and with less bright and fresh flavor. The juiciness is a major plus for this flavor. If you want a green apple, this one is good, the Granny Smith is better. Use with other apples, fruits, candies, lemonades, gin, bakeries. I’d use as a main note at 3%-5%, background 2%-3%, accent 0.5%-2% and standalone at 5%-9%.
  • Fuji Red Apple

Tested at 2%. This is a nice apple flavor if less authentic tasting as a SFT. It is sweet and tastes like apple juice with a peel note. It is sweeter than FA Fuji or Jungle Flavors. There is a texture to this, like apple juice with the pulp left in. A Fuji apple is the sweetest apple variety, so maybe the sweetness of this flavor is quite authentic. It doesn't have as much of juicy component of the VTA Green Apple and the Granny Smith, but there is juice. After mixing with it, I like it very much. It is smoother than FA or JF with no harshness. Use this wherever you want an authentic sweet red apple. Others recommend going higher in percentage with this than with the other Fujis, esp. for the flavor to become juicy. Maybe around 8% as a stand-alone apple flavor and 4% in a mix. I mixed it with Granny Smith at 2% each and got the best of both. Since the Granny Smith is a bit stronger, 3% Fuji with 2% Granny Smith might be better.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Bump.

I don't want this thread to die like the Inawera one did.

VTA Toffee Ice Cream is pretty dang good! I made the recipe Toffee Nut Custard by @dobroeutro and I'm really liking it. Next time I may sub out the WF Hazelnuts and Cream for WF Roasted Pecans and Cream for a different nut variation. :thumbs:

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
I got the toffee ice cream on my last order but haven’t tried it yet. I need to go through my screen shots and see if I have that recipe.

Let me know if you need it - I made it exactly as written (which is rare for me) and I found it really good after only a week. I need to revisit it again in a few days when it will be 2 weeks old.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Bump.

I don't want this thread to die like the Inawera one did.

VTA Toffee Ice Cream is pretty dang good! I made the recipe Toffee Nut Custard by @dobroeutro and I'm really liking it. Next time I may sub out the WF Hazelnuts and Cream for WF Roasted Pecans and Cream for a different nut variation. :thumbs:

Dang, there's another addition to my wish list. I looked at that when I placed my last order but decided to hold off as I had so many other new ones to play with already. Would you reshare the recipe?

I'm enjoying the Light Rum and Whiskey, but haven't mixed the G&T yet or bourbon. I have to play more with pudding base and creme caramel (creme brulee was sold out). Still have to mix up chocolate mousse too. Happily going down the VTA rabbit hole. LOL.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I only have 3 limes lol, not a guru. I have the FA cold pressed and prefer the persian. Put a few drops of the Florida key lime in the persian tester and it is a perfect lime for me, juicy and zesty with a nice bite. The cold pressed doesn't have much bite for me. HIC had mentioned pairing the FKL with the CPL seemed to stave off the fade a bit longer and it did help some. @Mixalott mentioned the persian did not fade much like the FKL so I bought it and glad I did. Now to find a lime that tastes like FKL without the fade. I guess I would say the cold pressed reminds me of frozen lime rather than fresh and persian while not as fresh tasting as Florida key is better with a slight sweet undertone to the zest and has great a bite to it.
Apologies Joel but I am not as articulate as you are. I have only had the Persian a couple of weeks so time will tell on the fade. Hoping it will somehow stabilize the FK which I love. If it does I doubt I'll buy any other limes.
Thanks for sharing your perceptions; that was most helpful. And, you have no reason to apologize for. I followed your comments just fine.:D

I have only used:
TFA-Lemon Lime: did not get along with this at all. It was just all bitter artificialness to me.
TFA-Key Lime: decent, but leans a bit more to the plastic green bottle, or the frozen limeade, than the real fruit.
FA-Tahiti Cold Pressed: Potent! Still learning to manage with a light touch. The fruit flavor is a more "real fruit" instead of the bottled juice. I find it has a definite "peel"/zest presence.
FA-Tahiti Distilled: This is about all zest, and almost no flesh, to me. Again, it is very authentic to the actual fruit. And again, it is quite potent. Best used when looking for a lime zest originating bitterness; like one might find in a gin martini with a lime twist, or a Moscow mule mug rim that has been rubbed down with lime peel for the oil notes.

I haven't been able to vape any of them, for a long enough period, to be able to form an opinion regarding fading.:(

I am still looking for a "real"/fresh mostly flesh taste, with just a hint of zest. I am not big on the bitter "bite" aspect.
:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for sharing your perceptions; that was most helpful. And, you have no reason to apologize for. I followed your comments just fine.:D

I have only used:
TFA-Lemon Lime: did not get along with this at all. It was just all bitter artificialness to me.
TFA-Key Lime: decent, but leans a bit more to the plastic green bottle, or the frozen limeade, than the real fruit.
FA-Tahiti Cold Pressed: Potent! Still learning to manage with a light touch. The fruit flavor is a more "real fruit" instead of the bottled juice. I find it has a definite "peel"/zest presence.
FA-Tahiti Distilled: This is about all zest, and almost no flesh, to me. Again, it is very authentic to the actual fruit. And again, it is quite potent. Best used when looking for a lime zest originating bitterness; like one might find in a gin martini with a lime twist, or a Moscow mule mug rim that has been rubbed down with lime peel for the oil notes.

I haven't been able to vape any of them, for a long enough period, to be able to form an opinion regarding fading.:(

I am still looking for a "real"/fresh mostly flesh taste, with just a hint of zest. I am not big on the bitter "bite" aspect.
:)
We need a flavor tasting glossary.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread