What are your favorite tips for vaping beginners?

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
When using vaping to stop smoking, find a flavor that's "good enough" that you can use it every day. Expect it to be tolerable, not perfect, or you can spend a great deal of time and money searching for the perfect flavor.

I've gone through most all flavors, most in my early days of vaping. A mild minty menthol was not my favorite but it tastes far better than any cigarette and has worked for many years. It's fun to sample new flavors from time to time and it can become quite a hobby, including mixing for yourself. If cost is a concern, you can learn to make your own liquid in a flavor you like.

The hobby aspect of vaping for some of us is quite a bit of fun but in order to keep off the smokes, a simple flavor that you can tolerate daily over time is all you need.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
This is purely a personal viewpoint.

I think if you were a cigarette smoker it’s probably best to start with something simple like a mouth to lung device running on fairly low power with quite a high percentage of nicotine - a minimum of 16 strength. This would satisfy the nicotine cravings, be almost as simple as cigarette smoking and would offer the hand to mouth experience of cigarette smoking.

Such systems would also allow you to vary the draw from loose wide open ( ideal for pipe smokers ) to fairly restrictive as in filter tipped cigarettes.

I’d suggest either a pod/mod or a tank system, the latter initially with built in battery for ease of charging at home, in the office, car or, if on the Continent, most cafe/bars.

Before starting, one important point - “tobacco” flavoured juices vaped will never replicate the taste of burning tobacco. Many taste like chewing a wet cigarette end. It’s better probably to go with something tasting like gum, mint or fruity flavours initially ( though the sweeteners and colouring in such liquids do clog up coils quicker. )

Read any instructions that come with your device BEFORE you use it - I didn’t … and found right away that the default setting of an iStick 30w as shipped is 30 watts and got a burnt tongue and a written off coil!

Never be afraid to ask for advice from other Vapers - there is no such thing as a silly question if you don’t know the answer.

And the two best pieces of advice I got - don’t waste your time and money chasing the latest, greatest and bestest kit - learn now to get the best out of the kit you have.

Always but always have a backup kit! Even better, a backup for your backup!

Finally we are told the Old Romans used to say - Festina Lente - take it easy, relax and enjoy the journey!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    When using vaping to stop smoking, find a flavor that's "good enough" that you can use it every day.
    When I started vaping, I was more fixated on the (projected, then exceeded that) money savings and the fact that I found an enjoyable way to maintain my nic fixes while completely eliminating the TAR factor. That I kinda liked the flavor of the mix of commercial eliquids I was using at the time certainly didn't negate any of my vaping experiences, but it wasn't a major thing that 'kept me going' or anything, more like I was just fortunate enough to sorta quickly find a flavor I liked..

abdulsamad

Moved On
    Apr 3, 2023
    • Deleted by alexj-12
    • Reason: Spam

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    For anyone just getting into vaping, what products would you recommend or what tips and would you give for those just getting started?
    #1 if you ARE NOT a current or almost former smoker just DON'T!!

While vaping is considered in some parts of the world 'less harmful' then smoking it is still harmful! Vaping IS NOT healthy!

#2 Keep in mind the 'KISS' principal (keep it simple stupid)

Don't over think it and don't over spend on it.

#3 As far as juice goes find a flavor that you ether like or can tolerate

In some areas you can SAMPLE the juices before purchasing and others you can't. If you can't sample then get small amounts FIRST before plunking a bunch of $$$ on larger containers.

Some like getting 'tobacco' flavors while the majority go for ANYTHING BUT a tobacco flavor.

You'll need ~30ml of juice a week to get started and 18-50mg nicotine level.
    (18mg freebase or 35-50mg salts)

#4 Mod/Device

Here there are a number of options however there are a few recommendations that come to mind.

Something that is refillable is less expensive and more usable in the long run than something that is not.

Mods that have replaceable battery(s) are more expensive upfront however can have a longer use life than mods that have internal batteries.

Not all mods that have internal (non-replaceable) batteries are created equal - some will allow you to vape while the device is charging (some call it "pass through vaping") which is a very desirable feature.

Speaking of mods and battery charging, weather your mod has internal battery or replaceable battery you NEED a way to vape while the device/battery is CHARGING! This is often accomplished by having TWO devices! (one charging while the other is in use) The added BONUS here is that you have a backup device in case of mod/atomizer failure. :)

While IDK what smokes cost these days but when I started vaping spending 1-2 weeks worth of smoking $$$ on a vape kit+juice seemed reasonable to me.

#5 Last but not least - don't give up!

It might take a few days or weeks for you to change over to vaping. Personally it took me only 3 days to convert over to only vaping. Everyone is different so don't give up hope of being smoke free.

g.

Users who are viewing this thread