What are your favorite tips for vaping beginners?

TP49

Sep 29, 2022
Colchester
Keep it simple don’t get tempted into expensive kits, I agree with easyvape something like the Argus pod is easy to use nothing complicated. Find a 50/50 pg vg eliquid flavour that tempts you.
Read the instruction manual or read the excellent reviews on here, you’ll soon find helpful advice and as you become accustomed to vaping and want to try something different there’s plenty of options to choose just walk before you run. And enjoy the vaping experience.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
For anyone just getting into vaping, what products would you recommend or what tips and would you give for those just getting started?
The old adage KISS (keep it simple stupid) would apply to my way of thinking. Get to understand the basics (RDA at low wattage) and then progress if your pocket book is flexible.

TARTARA

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2023
To be patient and don't give up after only a few attempts... it's quite the gap that they have to overcome... !
As for the gear... To buy a nice, good, reliable kit... an MTL Atomizer with pre-made interchangeable coils and a Mod with removeble battery... (as much they can afford) later down the road a better kit will be much more worthy... !
As for the e-liquids... they are plenty in the market, the can try and find what they are prefer the most... probably a tobacco - ish will be even better... !
In general if they have any problem... they can try something different or something similar, there are many options out there... or even better they can ask here on ECF... !

Last edited:

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
Start at the nic level you want, increase until you get to whatever works for you to stay off cigs. I started at 30mg/ml, got down to 18mg, went back to 30 because I didn't want to be puffing all the time. Not all people are satisfied on low mg. I know at least 1 person that uses 50mg/ml.

My signs for too much nic headache, nausea, dizziness.

Drink more water, vaping keeps my mouth pretty dry.

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
If the person is trying to convert from cigarettes, be patient. You wont find an eliquid that is a 1:1 match for your cigarettes. You have to slowly retrain your taste buds. That takes some patience. Start at a low power.

When you get the craving for a smoke, hit the vape until that craving subsides. See how many times you can keep that up. Day one, you might be able to eliminate 4 or 5 smokes. The next day maybe more. Don't worry about the smokes you had. Pay attention to the smokes you were able to eliminate that day. Again, patience is key.

As for gear, I'll go with the consensus and just say keep it simple. I think if it's too complicated, the new person will quickly fall back to the convenience of lighting up.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Prioritize finding a juice you love over finding a device that you love, and don't cut down your nic too quickly.

Once you find the right juice, you might like many devices. Without the right juice, you might not like any (devices).

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
1) Everybody coughs at first. Dunno why.

2) If you are trying to quit, get enough gear and juice to see you through. Get several strengths of ejuice. A raft of gear is still cheaper that a couple of cartons of cigs. Don't skimp; going back to smoking because you ran out or some gear failed is more than a simple setback; it's devastating psychologically.

3) You will probably need stronger ejuice than most people recommend. Take one puff; wait a minute (a full 60 seconds) to see how it hits you. If i makes you dizzy, try a weaker ejuice. If it doesn't satisfy your craving, try two puffs and wait. If you need more than three to satisfy, you need stronger ejuice. Your goal is to find a strength where two or three puffs in quick succession will keep you satisfied for as much as 20 minutes to an hour before wanting another session. (If you are vaping for other reasons than quiitting smoking I can't help you.)

Good luck. It's the most important thing you will ever do.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Just do what ever it takes to not smoke that "just one". If you can avoid the first one there's no worry about 2nd, 3rd, ect.
Still smoking while vaping, I can't see anything will ever change doing that.
IMO

I quit smoking many times before getting my 1st vape kit. It never worked, I couldn't do it. I quit for a day, I quit for a month, I'm going to quit tomorrow.
Then I got a BluCig kit and haven't had not even one drag on a cigarette since. It took a bit of desire to quit but what wasn't possible before became easy as pie. (about 12 years ago)

Last edited:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you're just starting, figure out what you want from your vape before you go shopping. There are an overwhelming amount of products on the market, especially with the introduction of pod devices, but there are most certainly options that will likely fit your style of vaping.

If you don't know exactly what you want, ask any and all questions - you cannot be afraid to ask questions because there are so many options out there. Many of us are here to help people figure these things out.

Last edited:

Stew1957

ECF Veteran
    Aug 4, 2020
    South Africa
    Because you are a smoker you may be drawn to tobacco flavoured E-Juice as it seems logical to vape a flavour you are familiar with. I recommend you think of your favourite fruit you like to eat and buy an E-Liquid with that flavour.
    Regarding keeping it simple. I bought a Vaporesso Swag 2 kit as my first mod. I am technically minded and within two weeks got hold of a (pif) (Pass it Forward) RTA. I am a pensioner and SUB OHM coils are in my mind (And in my Country particularly) expensive.
    An RTA is not hard to master if you have technical savvy and a good Vape Shop can recommend a Good RTA and show you how to set it up.
    So buy a mod and RTA and a Basic Suitable little Toolkit and cotton. Cotton of the correct diameter to suit your coils makes life easier. (Normally 3mm cotton)
    E-Juice to suit RTA's has an enormous range of flavours.
    Support your local vape shop and they normally have a points system where you accumulate points to get a discount on future purchases.
    20201020_101155.jpg
    20201020_155145.jpg

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    My best advice is the same as what was given to me when my best friends introduced me to vaping. They were already coming up to their first anniversary of quitting cigarettes. They said "Just play with it, get used to it, try things, try flavors. Don't worry about quitting cigarettes right away. Vape when you want to vape, have a cigarette if you have to. Remember you're the boss. Don't be pressured".

That advice really helped me. It took a good couple of days to even learn to inhale a vape properly. If I'd immediately set a goal for a cigarette quit day, I would have failed. It took six weeks of dual use, vaping and smoking, before I realized I loved vaping and didn't want to be a smoker anymore. I'd played with it, tried things, and arrived at the equipment that was reliable for me, backups for the backups, routines, how to fill a tank, how to travel with vape supplies. I was ready. You have to be ready when you quit cigarettes, confident in your equipment and supplies, knowledgeable.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    If you're just starting, figure out what you want from your vape before you go shopping. There are an overwhelming amount of products on the market, especially with the introduction of pod devices, but there are most certainly options that will likely fit your style of vaping.

If you don't know exactly what you want, ask any and all questions - you cannot be afraid to ask questions because there are so many options out there. Many of us are here to help people figure these things out.
    True, and even without asking questions, while learning to vape, hoping to choose a cigarette quit day, I was a lurker on this forum. I received all of the success stories like oxygen, all of the happy chatter about flavors and equipment, the specific language of vapers. Reading posts from people who quit cigarettes by vaping stoked me and prepared me. I wanted to be one of these people.

bluemomo

Jan 29, 2023
    USA
    My best advice is the same as what was given to me when my best friends introduced me to vaping. They were already coming up to their first anniversary of quitting cigarettes. They said "Just play with it, get used to it, try things, try flavors. Don't worry about quitting cigarettes right away. Vape when you want to vape, have a cigarette if you have to. Remember you're the boss. Don't be pressured".

That advice really helped me. It took a good couple of days to even learn to inhale a vape properly. If I'd immediately set a goal for a cigarette quit day, I would have failed. It took six weeks of dual use, vaping and smoking, before I realized I loved vaping and didn't want to be a smoker anymore. I'd played with it, tried things, and arrived at the equipment that was reliable for me, backups for the backups, routines, how to fill a tank, how to travel with vape supplies. I was ready. You have to be ready when you quit cigarettes, confident in your equipment and supplies, knowledgeable.
    Definitely agree! I had to go through a pretty long period of dual use before I was like, oh, I don't actually WANT cigarettes anymore. They're not as good as the vape! It'll happen - everyone likes tasty vapor more than toxic smoke.

Also wanted to chime in to say to SKIP most tobacco flavors. No juice will ever taste like your Marlboros, Pall Malls, American Spirits or whatever did. Pick a juice that sounds yummy; fruits are great! I found I loved creams/bakeries. Ejuice is more suited to these kinds of flavors than to cigarette flavors. A good vape shop will have tester bottles you can at least sniff to see if you'll like them - and their employees will help you find a flavor based on the kinds of things you like.

Most of all: Give it a shot! What do you have to lose? (And don't say money. Those little cancer sticks are friggin expensive.)

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Also wanted to chime in to say to SKIP most tobacco flavors. No juice will ever taste like your Marlboros, Pall Malls, American Spirits or whatever did.

I think possibly it's the majority of brand new vapers who want a juice that tastes like cigarettes, and try various ones before giving up and trying a fruit or candy or pastry flavor, or whatever else, cinnamon roll...mmmm. The exception though, is clove. I tried maybe 150 flavors my first year, until I found out you could get clove eliquid, my old favorite smoke that I saved only for an occasional nightclub treat because it was so harmful. You could hear that clove treated tobacco popping and crackling as it burned, and you knew what it was doing to your lungs. I adore clove for my all day vape, for many years now.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I have been vaping two or three flavors for the last 5 or 6 years - unflavored | some mix of 7 Leaves, Oak Wood and some other tobacco flavor | some kind of 'fruity' mix, previously blood orange, now blackberry mojito. I don't know what kind of advice to give to a 'newbie'. Heck, I was a newbie once, and have been for the last 8 1/2 years. The first and most important thing I learned was that everything is different for everybody, and I feel that I couldn't express any 'just words' to someone online. There's probably a question or two that I could answer, but I don't think I could offer one my advice.

bluemomo

Jan 29, 2023
    USA
    I think possibly it's the majority of brand new vapers who want a juice that tastes like cigarettes, and try various ones before giving up and trying a fruit or candy or pastry flavor, or whatever else, cinnamon roll...mmmm. The exception though, is clove. I tried maybe 150 flavors my first year, until I found out you could get clove eliquid, my old favorite smoke that I saved only for an occasional nightclub treat because it was so harmful. You could hear that clove treated tobacco popping and crackling as it burned, and you knew what it was doing to your lungs. I adore clove for my all day vape, for many years now.
    What's the best clove flavoring you've found? I did LOVE Djarum back in the day (and so does my partner - he's resistant to switching to vaping but I won't push the issue since he's very successfully given up his Djarum for Lent this year)

Users who are viewing this thread