What exactly is a mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
"Modification" is more accurate. They basically boil down to being replacement batteries for the stock batteries that come with standard e-cigs. But they still use the same atomizers, as that seems to be the nut no one else has been able to crack. Some mods offer bigger, more powerful batteries that run at 5v or higher. Others offer the same 3.7v as from the stock batteries but offer longer run times and the ability to replace the battery yourself when it wears out. Mods also come in different sizes and shapes, such as tubular and square-ish designs. And most of them tend to look nothing like a traditional cigarette.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Read this so you ca nbe totally confused !

Modified Electronic Cigarettes and their types

There are 4 main types of devices

I. 1. battery powered , no regulation ( no voltage control , power to the atomizer follows the battery voltage )
2. Fixed Regulated ( they are a preset voltage output )
II. 3. Switched regulated ( they have several preset voltages that are selectable )
III. 4. Variable regulated ( they are continuously variable within a range of voltages )

Advantages / disadvantages

A . Battery powered
i. Advantages: No circuitry to fail ,
ii. Disadvantages : No load regulation , the voltage will droop with the battery life and you will loose power and vapor , No protection circuitry

B. Fixed regulation :
iii. Advantages : Regulated output voltage , consistent vaping voltage over the life of the battery
iv. Disadvantages : No control over the voltage

C. Switched regulation
v. Advantages : Regulated output voltage , switchable voltage values
vi. disadvantages : values are fixed and can not be adjusted

D. Variable regulation:
i. advantages : Complete control over the output voltage to the atomizer
ii. disadvantages : you will fiddle with the voltage until you find the spot you like .

PS: not all regulators are created equal , most have built in protection circuitry but not all so ask the manufacturer.

Types of regulators : there are 2 main types of regulators

1. Linear / analog types , these types of regulators drop voltage across them to control the output voltage to the load (i.e. Atomizer or cartomizer ) they require a certain amount of minimum voltage across them to operate ( LDO types requires less voltage drop across them ).
2. PWM or ( pulse width modulated ) this type of regulator uses pulses of voltage switching on and off to charge a capacitor and regulate the voltage output , there are 2 types of basic PWM regulators A. Buck and B. Boost , a buck regulator drops the voltage down and Boost reg. Boosts the voltage ( there is another type that does both )

There are advantages and disadvantages to each type BUT any regulated device will control the voltage and keep it stable throughout the battery charge time .
Many people have found that uncontrolled voltage to an atomizer can cause them to open up and go bad , or cause the flavor and temperature of the juice to taste burnt or too hot for the vapor .

Mike Buzzetti AKA Buzzkill
Notcigs.com

Sewnmachine

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
Akron, Ohio - in the "hood"
So glad someone asked this question. I was watching a youtube video, and the guys was vaping on a mod. It looked like a very large wooden box with a stick on it.

Well....mods are probably not in my future if that's what they look like. I so love my KR808's, I can go through virtually any store and vape away. I'm sure I'm on the stores video cams, but while the KR808 is the approximate length of a real cig, it doesn't seem to be confusing anyone in the stores. Silver or red battery, yellow cart, blue led.......but OMG if I went into public with a wooden box that had a stick with smoke coming out of it.........can you say Al Quida? (sp?)

Love the idea of replaceable batteries though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread