What is the biggest vaping change you have experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
So, as people know, I am an old git who keeps reminiscing.

Anyhow after ordering a load of mech mods, I went to buy some fuses. And really struggled. In the end, I found some online in Israel.

It got me thinking again..... I remember when the number of vapers was so low, I knew the nearest vaper to me, and he lived about 40 miles away. Used to work in a hospital in Sheffield.... If you are still here...

Anyhow we had hand made tube mods, videos of how to convert an altoids tin, or a Poundland torch into an e-cig.

There were cigalikes that had a vape time almost measured in seconds. Some of the early CR123s were not much better. I had to order juice from the states, as there was nowhere in Europe making it...

But we had choice from production runs, hand made customs, home made stuff...

I could have found a bloody fuse a bit easier, but also found someone pushing the tech boundaries.

Now, there is a vape shop every 50 yards, but choice is between louder colours, displays and power..... I am fully expecting someone to market a kilowatt mod soon....
That can be used to start your car, blow up tires and have a resistance so low as to be negative.

Sorry, ramble, but from unique to sameness I think is the biggest change I have seen.... What's yours?

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
The biggest thing I've seen change since I started?

I'll use the guy at work as an example.

I only know it's a guy because the smell is in the men's bathroom. Whoever he is, he's definitely vaping something better than me. He probably thinks it doesn't smell, but I can definitely tell the difference between my vape and his.

I have a feeling it's the guy who promotes "party" concerts. I think the Brainquility cap he wears at work is a dead giveaway.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Biggest change I’ve experienced is struggling to get a nice full pull of vapor and counting drips into a carto, to big huge clouds of delicious vapor with ease and convenience. Also going from 10 amp Panasonic’s to 20+ amp LG, Samsung’s, and Sonys. My rebuilding has went from pulling apart Kanger 2.0 ohm coils and rebuilding, to the abundant selection of excellent rda’s and rta’s. All in all vaping has improved across all categories and methods. We are living in a golden era of vaping spoils. Hopefully government will keep away and let us continue unabated, but i seriously doubt it with the amount of money involved.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Anyhow after ordering a load of mech mods, I went to buy some fuses. And really struggled. In the end, I found some online in Israel.

It got me thinking again..... I remember when the number of vapers was so low, I knew the nearest vaper to me, and he lived about 40 miles away. Used to work in a hospital in Sheffield.... If you are still here...

Anyhow we had hand made tube mods, videos of how to convert an altoids tin, or a Poundland torch into an e-cig.
There were cigalikes that had a vape time almost measured in seconds. Some of the early CR123s were not much better.
batteries have come a long way. They’ll come farther yet soon I think. If we’re lucky
I had to order juice from the states, as there was nowhere in Europe making it...

still do. It’s just pricey as hell
I could have found a bloody fuse a bit easier, but also found someone pushing the tech boundaries.

Now, there is a vape shop every 50 yards, but choice is between louder colours, displays and power..... I am fully expecting someone to market a kilowatt mod soon....
That can be used to start your car, blow up tires and have a resistance so low as to be negative.
I found out today that there already is one that might be able to start a car.
Sorry, ramble, but from unique to sameness I think is the biggest change I have seen.... What's yours?
Mod regulation. Computers always seem to totally change anything they touch. The ego battery was a revelation too. That was when e-cigarettes turned into genuine vapes I think. At the heart of things it still remains the same. Hook a battery up to heat a piece of metal and use it to boil liquid. Everything else is just refinement.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Biggest change I’ve experienced is struggling to get a nice full pull of vapor and counting drips into a carto, to big huge clouds of delicious vapor with ease and convenience. Also going from 10 amp Panasonic’s to 20+ amp LG, Samsung’s, and Sonys. My rebuilding has went from pulling apart Kanger 2.0 ohm coils and rebuilding, to the abundant selection of excellent rda’s and rta’s. All in all vaping has improved across all categories and methods. We are living in a golden era of vaping spoils. Hopefully government will keep away and let us continue unabated, but i seriously doubt it with the amount of money involved.
heh. The right blames the government the left blames the corporations.
I blame the government for not stopping the corporations. It’s what they’re supposed to be for. Not sure if that makes me a centrist or an extreme lefty.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The biggest change for me was being able to smell again. BTW, the world smells different than I remember it from 1970 and I want to know who is responsible.
upload_2019-2-26_5-55-40.png

The media.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
The biggest change I've seen is in the ignorance of non-vapers.

When I started, vaping was pretty much unknown in my area and whether I was vaping around a smoker or non-smoker, they were curious and interested in hearing about my success at quitting smoking. Quite a few smokers wanted to give it a try.

Today, non-vapers have been relentlessly pounded with biased studies and news reports that most all of them have a preconceived notion that vaping is dangerous and possibly worse than smoking. There's not much chance to reason with them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't know if this will fit in your new mechs, but this device was made to be used specifically for vaping. If I recall, they are manufactured in Greece.
Question directed to @Mooch
Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo - MyVaporStore You should be able to find a vendor that sells these in the UK.

Bug-Newest.jpg

The only big jump for me was going from cigalikes to an Ego. After that it was just slow steady improvements.
I skipped the Ego battery altogether. I went from the cigalikes to a tube mech mod and a cartotank, and a couple of months later advanced to a Provari regulated mod instead of the mechs. Being able to change my voltage/wattage output "on the fly" was the biggest gamechanger for me.

full

My first three setups from left to right: Provari regulated mod, Silver Bullet mech, and BB (baby bullet) mech, all topped with a cartotank.

I'm currently using a UK made JAC Vapour series B DNA75 topped with a Uwell Crown clearomizer tank.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
There have been many changes along the way but the most notable during my vape journey in chronological order;

• (2012-2013) Ciga-likes to egos w/ clearomizers....performance and flavor!
  • (2013-2014) Ego batteries to 18650 mech mods....power! Back then mech mods were the only way to enjoy vaping above 15 watts
  • (2013-2014) Clearomizers to RDAs....Flavor!
  • (2014-2016)Retail NETs to DIY NETs....Quality, economy and insurance!
  • (2014-2016) Buying only as needed to developing a fully stockpiled inventory....Insurance!
  • (2016) Mech mods to regulated mods....consistent power & safety!
  • (2018) RDAs to RDTAs....Freedom from constant dripping!
  • (2018 -2019) From needing to refill every few hours to using fully Regulated squonk mods w/BF RDTAs....true -all day- freedom without sacrificing flavor!
I'm really looking forward to future innovations that might add to this list of changes.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I guess it was going from cig a likes to cartos, then straight into mechs and gennys. The cig a likes weren't good, but mechs and carts were a little better, but then went to genesis and that was a major difference...now from those genny days to know , about 7 years ago, the quality of my vape hasn't changed all that much. Back then my gennys rocked and although I have upped my wattage a little and now use great mtl rtas and regulated mods, there really isn't that much of a Difference compared to those genny days....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
Biggest vaping change for me was the Juul. I use to vape with a regular tank, mod etc., but I still smoked cigarettes. It wasn't until I got my hands on a Juul that I truly quit smoking and have been smoke free. Now I interchange between a Juul and the Vype daily. I occasionally vape with a Sub Ohm when I have the time. However, even then the flavor gets flat very quick.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I guess it was going from cig a likes to cartos, then straight into mechs and gennys. The cig a likes weren't good, but mechs and carts were a little better, but then went to genesis and that was a major difference...now from those genny days to know , about 7 years ago, the quality of my vape hasn't changed all that much. Back then my gennys rocked and although I have upped my wattage a little and now use great mtl rtas and regulated mods, there really isn't that much of a Difference compared to those genny days....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Iirc SS wick gennies are the dominant atty style in Russia still. Someone or other was trying to get a book translated from russian and published about gennies.
To my memory they tended to be susceptible to leaking if tipped, wouldn’t do anything but MTL, and were difficult to get running right, but once you did they’d go almost forever.

Still got one or two floating around in pieces I think.

Reactions: smacuser

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Getting my first wire and nic.

Agree with this! Got my first nic 5 years ago. I felt very confident right out of the gate with diy. Took me a lot longer to nerve up to try RTAs. But it certainly changed vaping for me.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521

There were cigalikes that had a vape time almost measured in seconds. Some of the early CR123s were not much better. I had to order juice from the states, as there was nowhere in Europe making it...

Look man, I'm working on a mod which uses 40 Car batteries and some 16x-0 wire. Ohms so low, the coil itself will cause the arctic ice shelves to melt instantly and make the sun feel like Pluto.

Kidding. Yeah, I feel you. My first venture into vaping I started with a cigalike. Went from a cigalike -> Kanger VV Twist battery -> ProVari -> Mech (with and without a Kick) -> Semovar -> Pioneer4U IPV-3 -> VaporShark DNA30 -> IPV-3 Li -> RX200 -> VS DNA200 -> VS DNA250 -> Triade DNA250C... and the list keeps going and going and going and going. Now I'm stuck with a few mechs, a few Vaporsharks, and a few Traides. My goal(s) and I seriously thought this - was that the higher I push my builds, the better the flavor would be. Oh hell, was I wrong or what? I started with one of those plastic clearos on my Kanger Batteries and that too evolved. Now, I'm just buying stuff with unique build decks, or decks that I think will be interesting to work with. It's no longer about cloud chasing or flavor chasing to me anymore. It's about "what can I get away with on this atomizer".

At the end of the day - the ecig market has changed. Quite drastically mind you. Is it better or worse, though? I think for the person considering quitting, it might be for the worst. For those of us who have been tooting for awhile, its the best thing to happen to us. However, our focus should be on the smoker, not ourselves. I do believe though, that with all the pod systems and high power devices, someone venturing into our realm will be better off getting something with limitless power. As some of us just like different things. Me for instance, I like a slightly warmer vape than most - does that mean i need 1.21 gigawatts to run what I'm building? Hardly. It just means if I have that power at my disposal, granted I may never use it, but should I want to tinker with it, at least it's there. I wish these 100+ watt devices would have been around when I started. It would have helped me in the long run. I would have probably only owned one or two mods. And not craved "MORE POWAH!" Ask why I have the 250 and the 250C, and I'll tell you - for the "Replay" feature. Absolutely adore it.

Nothing against the poddies out there - its for some people. Not everyone. Same thing with us power bangers... for us, its wonderful, but it's not for everyone. Same applies for anything vape related. Some like complexity, some like simplicity. In this industry, you can have the best of both worlds. We also have to understand that it does take people awhile to figure out what they will and won't like. That's why I'm glad the prices are falling like they are on a lot of things. Some people will start here and realize they want simpler or more complex, so they'll move from one device to another. And that's ok too. But with most things in life "Just because you can (or it can), doesn't mean you should..."

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Ufff... I still search for those unique, lovely 901 attys I started with back in 2009.
As for a game changer I've had many, but the best one was the GG Odysseus rebuildable atty. The NR-R-NR build drove me crazy, but when I got the hang of it I vaped 100% VG (Alien Visions Hype) at 14w without a hitch... Great times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread