What is the biggest vaping change you have experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
From this...
FB_IMG_1517879641769.jpg

To this...
20181110_175159.jpg

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I do know that those countries are about the only ones still producing them, so that's cool they are still quite popular there...yes the ss wick was just dropped into a hole in the tank to wick up juice, so if it was tipped over, chances are it leaked. And because most were using tubes, they tipped over alot....most did find it hard to set up and run, but i always had good luck with them and compared to what most were vaping at the time (vi vi nova, protanks, cartos, dripping attys) the gennys ruled. I guess it's the same comparison as to let's say a kayfun prime compared to a nautilus tank. The flavor those mesh wicks produced were really good....but once the kayfun , taifuns and micro coils came out , they were just as good and definitely easier, so most switched....
Don't remind me of that. I never even went through. All was painful, although the vape was out of this world.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
For me another of the big changes has come in Squonking.

A few years ago, at least in the UK there was little kit going about and you really had to resort to custom builders, some of whom converted dripping atomisers to squonkers by drilling out the pins.

Then, to get an atomiser I had to get my Little Origen from a French firm in Marseilles - now squonking is much more mainstream, and in my experience anyway the kit is now readily available, better and cheaper.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

A few years ago, at least in the UK there was little kit going about and you really had to resort to custom builders, some of whom converted dripping atomisers to squonkers by drilling out the pins.

Then, to get an atomiser I had to get my Little Origen from a French firm in Marseilles - now squonking is much more mainstream, and in my experience anyway the kit is now readily available, better and cheaper.
Hmmm... that would take one heck of a fine drill and a really good drill press. Sadly I have neither. Otherwise I might try to convert my magma.

Reactions: stols001

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Probably one of the reasons why things were then so expensive; I believe some also did it but scoring grooves along the side of the threading on the body of the tank and some possibly tried adaptations to the sides of the pin itself.

I had two Custom Jobs, but sadly at the time they didn't work that well for me - but that was probably my lack of knowledge/experience and I'll accept a verdict of "Operator Error."

With my wooden one the firing button was prone to sticking in the on position and with my aluminium one increasing pressure was needed to get it to fire at all. With hindsight, which gives of course 20/20 vision, with what I know now I could probably have remedied both problems but I junked both and more or less went full time with my Nauti Minis and iSticks for some years until recently.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
The biggest change that I've experienced in vaping has nothing to do with vaping. It has to do with experence.

I'm a low wattage vaper. Pretty much anything I've used over the Years would be capable of delivering the vape I now enjoy.

Not quite everything, and certainly equipment has contributed alot, but close enough for horseshoes.

What's changed the most has been my knowledge of how to use what is available, of how to get the most out of the equipment, the ability to get the juice right, the understanding of what it is that will lead to a positive outcome for me at any given time, which, of course, is a constantly shifting target.

Basically, learning how to get from here to there with the fewest number of missteps in between.

We all have our path to find.

Equipment is cool, but; it is just a means to an end.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm fairly new to vaping so the biggest change I've seen is a lack of cigarettes strewn about the house. Heh.

Well, really, one big change I have seen is the absolutely UNETHICAL marketing going on between nic salt juices and pods. They would have you believe if you use nic salts in a non pod system, your equipment will CATCH FIRE or something.

I'm not liking it.

Anna

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
The biggest change I've seen, and continue to see, is the sadly predictable desperate grab for dollars- using any means necessary- by those operating in the industry . And the also expected dissemination of misinformation as everyone protects their own interests and clings to their misconceptions.

I kinda feel sorry for those just coming to vaping now...there's so much crap to dig through now.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Squonking existed since the beginning. Reason being, cartos dried up very fast, and squonking was a mess free alternative. It was expensive but when it became massive more people were able to buy. But come think of it, the original Reo was 100 bucks, and squonkers nowadays cost the same. Also, the problem back then were high resistances, and to get a better performance we stacked batteries. A ticking bomb, given that the regular AWB batteries back then were less than 10A

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm still hunting down a new authentic genesis atty... still... why you might ask? Because I miss the days of rolling wicks, wrapping coils, and just having a good vape.
Last year I had the same bug, to revisit the old days of gennys. The only new ones I found were the origen Origen Genesis V2 MKII 6ml Tank
They might do clones as well, but I wound up buying a few used ones off of modtrader. It was 2012 all over again and enjoyed it. After a month however I sold it all . The flavor and vapor was exactly how I remembered, but TH and intensity was lacking . It seems that years of rayon and my regular rtas produce an intensity (maybe something to do with a small chimney that gennys dont have) that I got too use to and which I couldnt obtain in the gennys. I even got to use my old porous ceramic wicks that imo, is the finest flavor I have ever gotten in vaping.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
VV to VW way back in the day. I remember talking to a friend who owned a vape shop about how mods should have adjustments in wattage not voltage. I loved my Provair but felt that if you could adjust by wattage it would be much more accurate. Well about a year later I saw the first mods with variable wattage.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
"Squonking existed since the beginning. Reason being, cartos dried up very fast, and squonking was a mess free alternative" - you are indeed correct in that, and I would not wish to disagree with you.

That said, when I investigated squonking for the first time some 3+ years ago, to really get into squonking it cost money ( unless of course you were "in the know," which I wasn't.)

I paid near enough 300.00 USD for my first hand made mod plus about 92 Euros for my Little Origen, the wooden one cost me around 200 Euros.

Now you can buy a good squonker such as a Pico Squeeze for sweetie money, as we'd say in Scotland... three of these can be had from a discounter for around the price of my original Origen attie alone.

Actually I first read about squonking in a post here - I think it was called something like "Progressing up the Vaping Ladder" and it mentioned that these were favoured by hard core outdoor men etc etc - as I hadn't been struck by arthritis then I classified myself as such given that I cycled 250 miles per week and was a long distance walker.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Oh shoot. Nobody told me there'd be a freakin' test. :shock:

Seriously though, I've not had much change personally, so the biggest change I've witnessed is the unexpected negative turn in public perception.

Back when, I'll admit that I never saw this coming. I expected some push-back, but I had faith in common sense (silly me), so what we're seeing now has definitely caught me off guard.

Strange daze, these.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Last year I had the same bug, to revisit the old days of gennys. The only new ones I found were the origen Origen Genesis V2 MKII 6ml Tank
They might do clones as well, but I wound up buying a few used ones off of modtrader. It was 2012 all over again and enjoyed it. After a month however I sold it all . The flavor and vapor was exactly how I remembered, but TH and intensity was lacking . It seems that years of rayon and my regular rtas produce an intensity (maybe something to do with a small chimney that gennys dont have) that I got too use to and which I couldnt obtain in the gennys. I even got to use my old porous ceramic wicks that imo, is the finest flavor I have ever gotten in vaping.

I may look further into that one. I have a Kraken - but the glass is broke and it's missing a bunch of stuff (got it used from an old friend). I haven't bought anything from VapinArt before. I'm guessing since they're based in FL, you know about them? How's the shipping?

I usually only buy Authentics - not because I'm some uppity kind of person, it's just me showing my support for genuine ingenuity. I also only buy them because bad experiences in the past with clones. Also, if they have it, I may just pick one up for the sake of picking one up. I miss using my mesh and what-not. I miss the flavor and throat hit I used to get from mesh setups. I also miss the old "genny tilt". There is a LOT I miss about owning and building gennies. Every day I kick my own ... for not buying more gennies when they were a thing.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I may look further into that one. I have a Kraken - but the glass is broke and it's missing a bunch of stuff (got it used from an old friend). I haven't bought anything from VapinArt before. I'm guessing since they're based in FL, you know about them? How's the shipping?

I usually only buy Authentics - not because I'm some uppity kind of person, it's just me showing my support for genuine ingenuity. I also only buy them because bad experiences in the past with clones. Also, if they have it, I may just pick one up for the sake of picking one up. I miss using my mesh and what-not. I miss the flavor and throat hit I used to get from mesh setups. I also miss the old "genny tilt". There is a LOT I miss about owning and building gennies. Every day I kick my own ... for not buying more gennies when they were a thing.
I hear you...I always loved vaping art and they have been pretty fast...I feel the same about authentics, I always buy them. I think I bought one clone in over 7 years, but have received a couple for free before and they weren't to bad. Like you, I just like supporting the authentic makers because if it wasnt for them, alot of vapors wouldn't be vaping on their 20 dollar items

Reactions: Falconeer

override137

Mar 8, 2019
Biggest change I've seen is salt nic and the pod revolution.

When I first started I was vaping on Joytech coils in an eGoAIO, and fairly quickly upgraded to a cleito tank on the same. Back then I had no idea what I was doing and was vaping 12nic out of that cleito at 60 watts. Thankfully one of the guys at the shop talked up the rx200 and pointed me to a shop where I could get a tfv8 cheap, from there I was on to a normal 6 nic and then quickly down to a 3.

I missed out on the old days because a friend got me to try an evod a few years before that and it was just bad all over.

IMO though, salt nic mixes everything I (personally) want in a vape. Small, cheap, plenty of nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread