What the hell? Johnsons Creek Juice Green!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the green color is non-problematic in actual usage. Is the maker actually on the boards? I really don't care if the juice is pink, green, purple, blue or anything. If that's an issue I'd go ahead and take that bad batch for free or close to it. :p It may be worth it to write a review on long term effects of green liquid. It isn't unheard of that food additives to have color changing effects due to temp. and light. There must be something unique to JC that others don't add in the liquid that is reacting.

My experience is shallow, I've so far ordered sauce from Janty (so far best) a bloke from scottland (strong!) and stock DSE 901 carts from China (err). No color change so far. Looking forward to a couple batches from Nathan @ vapor-ecigg.

Everything I have so far has stayed in it's normal coloration for 2 weeks. I keep my apple in the fridge, the chocolate, French MLB, Cappucino, Polar mint in room temp (25C.)

Wanted to order some JC for some time but their check out system never worked for me and I've always wanted to try the VG. But seriously I will test a bad batch out if someone wants. It'll definitely go towards R&D for DIY atomizer design as well and can give great logged feedback on what happens to vaped liquid. Don't mind taking picture logs either.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
JC does not ship out to the United Kingdom that's why you can't check out.

Also the supplier is on this forum, he's pretty cool actually. I updated my first post saying that he emailed me back and said that the green color will not cause any issues and that it's fine to smoke. He also stated that he would replace the whole batch for free, but it was only the sampler pack and I smoked most of it alread. (I could have gotten some more peach cobler for free but hey, I'm an honest guy)

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
DO NOT vape THAT.

I know you said you wouldn't but...make sure you don't.

Also...Oxidation isn't anything to be worried about? WHAT?! I work in an industry where oxidizers are used REGULARLY and let me tell you something; Oxidation = change. When something is oxidized it is no longer what it used to be. The fact that JC would tell someone to not worry about putting something in their body that they have NO IDEA what it even is...That's frightening...Seriously frightening.

I'm officially DONE with Johnson Creek. I can't see myself ever ordering another product from a company that is so reckless.

DO NOT vape THAT.

I know you said you wouldn't but...make sure you don't.

Also...Oxidation isn't anything to be worried about? WHAT?! I work in an industry where oxidizers are used REGULARLY and let me tell you something; Oxidation = change. When something is oxidized it is no longer what it used to be. The fact that JC would tell someone to not worry about putting something in their body that they have NO IDEA what it even is...That's frightening...Seriously frightening.

I'm officially DONE with Johnson Creek. I can't see myself ever ordering another product from a company that is so reckless.

Unfortunately we live in a world of oxygen filled atmosphere, and so we have antioxidants in almost every commercial food product. Many of these ANTI OXIDANTS are unsafe but added anyway.

Example you could cut an apple in half, leave it for 5 minutes and it oxidizes and turns color. It still is an apple, tastes like an apple, looks like an apple, won't kill you, just like an apple. The reason why the jars of apple sauce at safeway don't change color right after opening the jar is due to antioxidizing agents ADDED to it.

Oxidizers can be many things. O2 (oxygen gas), H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide), O3 (ozone) are few amongst hundreds of different kinds of oxidizers. Some safe, some unsafe. :p

Looking at green juice won't kill ya. Chances are so little of whatever oxidized in the juice will not do anything. Not to say it isn't a faulty product (JC should have warning labels that state no preservatives are added to retain color perhaps), I've read more than a fair share of JC stories... But to say a product is dangerous without knowledge is something else. Again, if you don't want it, I will find good use for it :D

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Unfortunately we live in a world of oxygen filled atmosphere

There's a difference between living in an oxygen atmosphere and exposing something to OXIDATION.

Oxidizers are materials which cause a release of electrons from a molecule and will dramatically speed up the OXIDATION process (loss of electrons) of whatever they come in contact with. When something oxidizes, it changes (at the molecular level), due to the release of those electrons.

and so we have antioxidants in almost every commercial food product. Many of these ANTI OXIDANTS are unsafe but added anyway.

Oh, you're going to be fun.

Anti-oxidants are substances which slow down the process of oxidation and oxidative damage in living tissue, among other things. Anti-oxidants CAN slow the rate of food spoilage but would you really want to eat a rotten apple? srsly?

Example you could cut an apple in half, leave it for 5 minutes and it oxidizes and turns color. It still is an apple, tastes like an apple, looks like an apple, won't kill you, just like an apple. The reason why the jars of apple sauce at safeway don't change color right after opening the jar is due to antioxidizing agents ADDED to it.

The apple changes color due to oxidation, yes. Oxidation in tissue is also referred to as "ROTTING". It is obvious, though, that Johnson Creek isn't using effective anti-oxidants in their juice if they claim that it is oxidizing.

I find this odd since they also claim that there is citric acid in their liquid (which is a very well known anti-oxidant).

The last 2 statements also render your point about anti-oxidants; MOOT.

Oxidizers can be many things. O2 (oxygen gas), H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide), O3 (ozone) are few amongst hundreds of different kinds of oxidizers. Some safe, some unsafe. :p

Yeah, yeah...and potassium peroxymonosulfate, calcium hypochlorite, lithium hypochlorite, various isocyanurates, acids (like H2SO4 and HCl), soduim chlorite, sodium chlorate, sodium peroxide, silver nitrate, etc...most of which I work with on a daily basis.

Can we agree that we all know what an oxidizer is, now?

Looking at green juice won't kill ya. Chances are so little of whatever oxidized in the juice will not do anything. Not to say it isn't a faulty product (JC should have warning labels that state no preservatives are added to retain color perhaps), I've read more than a fair share of JC stories... But to say a product is dangerous without knowledge is something else. Again, if you don't want it, I will find good use for it :D

Nobody said he shouldn't look at it. I said he shouldn't VAPE it.

Let's assume that the juice IS oxidized. Do YOU know what happens to nicotine when it is oxidized? Do YOU know what happens to tobacco absolute when it is oxidized? Do YOU know what happens to the essential oil of the tobacco plant when it's oxidized? How about 2,5 Dimethylpyrazine? 2,3,5 Trimethylpyrazine? 2,3,5,6 Tetramethylpyrazine?

If you don't know the EXACT effects of oxidation on every single one of those chemicals, putting them in to your blood-stream after someone has told you that an oxidative reaction has taken place is dangerously foolish. Sure, there could be no effect at all...We could also find out that an oxidative reaction between those chemicals has created a mutagen...or a class 1 carcinogen...or a deadly toxin...or maybe just something that will make you sh.t iced tea for a few days.

Furthermore, telling someone that they shouldn't be concerned after an oxidative reaction has taken place is PATENTLY irresponsible and if physical damage occured as a result of that advice being followed, it is certainly a matter of civil (potentially criminal) liability.

It's called "erring on the side of caution", also known as "don't let your balls write checks your ... can't cash".

And that, as they say, is that.

/debate
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...t&cd=1&q=2,3,5,6+tetramethyl+pyrazine&spell=1

Last edited:

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
I thought Johnson Creek was having a lab check out the "green" liquid, and was going to post the results? Did I miss the results on the test, or was it never posted? I had purchased 2 sample packages, plus 2 larger sizes the beginning of January. They were still in the clear glass bottles then, and not a single one of our samples turned green, but the mint in the larger size did. I used it anyway and couldn't tell any difference. ;) But... was/am curious about the lab results.........

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I was the one that posted that JC had sent it out to a lab for testing, and then a different lab to speed up the end result of testing.

However, I have had no luck at all at getting any email inquiries answered for the last 3 weeks for Christian. Although Heidi responded to an irate one from me stating that he had to leave town due to a family emergency.

I just don't know anymore, and am at the point where I really don't care.

I've got my juice, mine hasn't turned green being exposed to many elements and situations although it has discolored from its original received state, and I'm still alive regardless.

VapeOn,
Greg

There's a difference between living in an oxygen atmosphere and exposing something to OXIDATION.

No... There isn't... Things exposed to open air is being oxidized just the same, albeit at a slower rate than say pouring H2O2 and then torching the said matter.

Oh, you're going to be fun.

Anti-oxidants are substances which slow down the process of oxidation and oxidative damage in living tissue, among other things. Anti-oxidants CAN slow the rate of food spoilage but would you really want to eat a rotten apple? srsly? The apple changes color due to oxidation, yes. Oxidation in tissue is also referred to as "ROTTING".

I can be fun, and I never said I wanted to eat a rotten apple. It's completely besides the point but oxidized apple is not rotten at all, decomposed/ing apple is rotten. Oxidation does not = food spoilage. Organic decomposition is much uglier, leaving the apple to it's eventual smelly, smushy, compost doom.

It is obvious, though, that Johnson Creek isn't using effective anti-oxidants in their juice if they claim that it is oxidizing.

I find this odd since they also claim that there is citric acid in their liquid (which is a very well known anti-oxidant).

Ditto. I completely agree with you, I do not believe any product should be sold without testing. If before JC sold the batch and let a sample sit for a week they would have known it would turn green. Selling this product was careless. But they offered to refund it which I don't think anybody is going to argue that JC doesn't feel somewhat bad and isn't taking responsibility.

The last 2 statements also render your point about anti-oxidants; MOOT.

How so? This isn't personal, I did not attack your credibility or state your information lacked any value. Simply claiming you work with oxidizers all day does not make you any more or less credible nor does it to me.

And to be honest we don't know what is going on, it could be reacting with heat or light for all we know. I can test it to see if air, temperture, or light, is affecting the juice pretty easily. If it's none of those, we need to factor in that other contaminants or unintended chemical reactions are the cause.

Nobody said he shouldn't look at it. I said he shouldn't VAPE it.

Right, so I said "I" will put it to good use. It has already been stated how little I care about color changing factors of JC E-Juice. It was just a matter of if the juice in question being wasted or thrown out, please send it this way. I will take full responsibility of the effects, side effects. Hell if it tastes like crap it will just go to R&D and be used to heavily test atomizer designs.

Let's assume that the juice IS oxidized. Do YOU know what happens to nicotine when it is oxidized? Do YOU know what happens to tobacco absolute when it is oxidized? Do YOU know what happens to the essential oil of the tobacco plant when it's oxidized? How about 2,5 Dimethylpyrazine? 2,3,5 Trimethylpyrazine? 2,3,5,6 Tetramethylpyrazine?

Oxidized Nicotine turns into Nicotine oxide? If I remember my chem. right and I am quite sure it is, Nicotine oxidizes anyway in a combustion reaction, then furthermor in your lungs.

I have absolutely no clue what happens to essence of tobacco when it oxidizes, but I'm willing to vape that fancy sauce and find out.

If you don't know the EXACT effects of oxidation on every single one of those chemicals, putting them in to your blood-stream after someone has told you that an oxidative reaction has taken place is dangerously foolish. Sure, there could be no effect at all...We could also find out that an oxidative reaction between those chemicals has created a mutagen...or a class 1 carcinogen...or a deadly toxin...or maybe just something that will make you sh.t iced tea for a few days.

Sh!tting Iced tea would be hilarious. I'd buy that juice at a premium. Oxidation is common, so much so that almost everything exposed to air is oxidized. Your food, your watch, your face, your car, even the air you breathe contains particles of oxidized matter. I don't see anybody flopping over from it. If you're really worried you'd vacuum seal your sandwiches and quit breathing air. :p

Furthermore, telling someone that they shouldn't be concerned after an oxidative reaction has taken place is PATENTLY irresponsible and if physical damage occured as a result of that advice being followed, it is certainly a matter of civil (potentially criminal) liability.

It's called "erring on the side of caution", also known as "don't let your balls write checks your ... can't cash".

And that, as they say, is that.

Ditto, but heating and vaporization occurs in the E-Cig atomizer. Not to mention air is mixed into the PG blended vapor. Thats pretty heavy dosage of oxidizing right there.

I personally never TOLD anyone to smoke it, never sold the juice, never held a gun to anybody's head and said "hit this .... or die!" Chris from Cali was being a cautious, intelligent, observative e-cig user when he made the decision not to smoke the juice when it turned green. Perfectly understandable.

I guess I am downright insane, so send me a batch. If I defacate Yorkshire pudding flavored iced oolong tea you guys will be the first to know.

No need to take things so seriously, I think this got off track but that green juice doesn't necessarily mean instant death. It's just a bit wierder than most, and I don't mind wierdness at all.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Without going into a huge debate on chemistry 302;

The point that I was trying to make is that apparently he was told by JC that the liquid had oxidized and to go ahead and smoke it...he'd be ok.

That's the issue I have. I'm willing to bet, based on this exchange, that you and I know more about chemistry than their entire staff, put together. That being the case, there's no way that they know what the effects of oxidation on their juice are and there's no way they should be recommending that someone put the stuff into their blood stream (especially when the nicotine alkaloid passes so freely through the blood brain barrier).

Also, my comment about the difference between exposure to oxygen being different that oxidation was intended as a superlative. I should have said, however, that something being exposed to oxygen is different than something being oxidized (in the tense that it applies to JC's statement)...I.e., my skin is, through the laws of nature, "being oxidized" as I sit here. That, however, is different than it "having been oxidized", which is an altogether more serious situation for me.

(and yes, you're right...oxidized nicotine is, in fact, nicotine oxide which is metabolized in the liver etc, etc...I bet the people at JC couldn't have answered that without google, though.)

Cheers!

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Ok.... I went straight to the source and emailed Christian at Johnson Creek this weekend:

They have had independent labs test their juices twice since the first report of greening. Since they cannot send in a customers sample and it has to be random, they had a hard time duplicating the green discoloration but they did conclude that what was happening was an oxidation process.

JC will be adding new preservatives to the juice to help with the oxidation issues, however they will not add chemical preservatives to their juice.

A third lab test has been done and they should have the results by the 1st of March which they will be happy to share the results as soon as they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread