What the hell? Johnsons Creek Juice Green!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsJaaxx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.juicyliquid.com
I got a sample pack of JC sometime around the end of October. We opened them all right away to see which ones we wanted to try, you know, what smelled the yummiest and so on. Peach Cobbler was my favorite, and I like the strawberry a lot too. So both my peach and strawberry have been opened and used quite a few times. Because I am not a heavy vaper, because we have ended up with a great variety of juices to choose from, and because the Mr. doesn't generally choose the fruity ones, I still happen to have those same sample pack bottles of peach and strawberry. Maybe only one dropper full of the peach left.

These bottles have lived sometimes in my living room and sometimes in a pouch in my purse. They have been left in the car in my purse at temperatures as low as 18 degrees. I take no care not to let the juice touch the rubber, and have most definitely touched the dropper to the stuffing in the cart. I have even overfilled and sucked some back out of the cart with the dropper and put it back in the bottle.

They aren't green. I don't know what this means, but there it is for what it's worth.

We do have some other bottles that are green. I don't know the specifics on those because they were Jaaxx's and I never messed with them. But I can't imagine that they were treated any differently than the ones I described above. There just seems to be no method to the madness.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Oxidation is the third explanation for the green. They also said it was to do with light and temperature. Now they are guessing that it's oxidation, if they couldn't reproduce the problem they can only guess. Third guess and each time it's claimed to be safe.

I wouldn't pay them to use me as a guinea pig.

I agree 100%, Kate.

They allege independent labs have tested their juice on more than one occasion. Every time this issue comes up it's another excuse and they keep claiming their juice is safe.

I think they have no idea what's going on and no idea, at all, if the stuff is safe or not.

If they've had their juice tested, I want to see the results of those tests. If this issue is due to oxidation, I want to know which chemicals have oxidized. I'd also like to see toxicologic information on the liquid before and after the change.

Oh and...last...I'd like to know what's REALLY causing the stuff to turn green.

Oh and...last...I'd like to know what's REALLY causing the stuff to turn green.

Terraphon, have you had a batch? There might be copper imprities in the juice now that I think about it. That and the yellow/orange-ish juice would make it green. Try putting some HCl in that juice and see what happens?

If anything, you work at a lab and have access to equipment, just keep trying to stress it until that color shifts and you "could" find out whats in it. I want to know out of curiosity now.

VapinAbby

Feb 16, 2009
Austin, TX
FWIW...

I have a partial sample bottle of peach that turned green. It wasn't green last week when I opened it, now it is. This bottle has never been out of my house and has never seen sunlight. The bottle is one of the Amber bottles.

I live in texas so it hasn't been exposed to any huge temperature fluctuations unless it was before it got here... a couple weeks before it changed color.

I notice their juice is thinner than other vendors. I wonder if they have water in their juice that is too high of percentage for the PG to preserve by itself. I know from making skincare that the rule of thumb is always use an extra preservative if water is used.

If anyone wants my bottle for testing/comparison/experimentation, PM me.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Terraphon, have you had a batch? There might be copper imprities in the juice now that I think about it. That and the yellow/orange-ish juice would make it green. Try putting some HCl in that juice and see what happens?

If anything, you work at a lab and have access to equipment, just keep trying to stress it until that color shifts and you "could" find out whats in it. I want to know out of curiosity now.

Actually, I do have a batch that's not green BUT.

I do have the ability to detect copper in solution AND I have plenty of HCl.

I'll run a copper test tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
I tried everything I could think of to turn 2 JC Tenn Cure samples (one VG one PG) green. Freezing, Direct sunlight (over a week on my dashboard), exposed to air... no green.

I did experiments with pure PG as well. Chlorine, copper, tap water, dish soap, freezing, sun, air.... nada (well the chlorine kinda gave the pg a slightly "off" color, but not hulk green.)

The only evidence I have is an old forgotten JC Tenn Cure PG bottle with about 1 ml or so of liquid left. It is indeed green with the sludge effect as well.

Dunno. It's beyond my comprehension and I'm tired of thinking about it. Would really be nice to get those lab reports, or at least a report about the reports (or a report about when we might get a report on the report.) I'm done.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
I tried everything I could think of to turn 2 JC Tenn Cure samples (one VG one PG) green. Freezing, Direct sunlight (over a week on my dashboard), exposed to air... no green.

I did experiments with pure PG as well. Chlorine, copper, tap water, dish soap, freezing, sun, air.... nada (well the chlorine kinda gave the pg a slightly "off" color, but not hulk green.)

The only evidence I have is an old forgotten JC Tenn Cure PG bottle with about 1 ml or so of liquid left. It is indeed green with the sludge effect as well.

Dunno. It's beyond my comprehension and I'm tired of thinking about it. Would really be nice to get those lab reports, or at least a report about the reports (or a report about when we might get a report on the report.) I'm done.

I remember reading your posts to your experiments, anxiously awaiting some definitive result. Sure that some answer would come of it. Most interesting that you could not get it to purposely oxidize. I do applaud your efforts.

Haha. Couldn't agree more.

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon

I agree... I've already "vaped" my only large bottle that turned green.. without turning green myself! :shock: We had another large bottle (different flavor) and (2 sets) sample bottles that are now almost 2 months old, some opened and some not, stayed in the dark, out in the light etc. and have still not turned green. Though I'm not really "worried" about the green.. it does seem we were promised a lab report... and have been waiting patiently for that. I've really enjoyed the JC juices... but have waited to order any more.... until we get a report on the results from the lab. :oops:

watertones

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2009
St. Paul, MN USA
I just looked at my sample pack I got about a month ago. Haven't touched it since I got i and about half of them are green. With some then entire bottle is green and with others just the liquid that was in the dropper was green. They are the brown bottles, I was storing them in a cool, dark place too. Hmmm. They were all sealed tightly, because I remember that being a topic awhile ago about this. Maybe the way the dropper is made is letting oxygen get into the bottle.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I just looked at my sample pack I got about a month ago. Haven't touched it since I got i and about half of them are green. With some then entire bottle is green and with others just the liquid that was in the dropper was green. They are the brown bottles, I was storing them in a cool, dark place too. Hmmm. They were all sealed tightly, because I remember that being a topic awhile ago about this. Maybe the way the dropper is made is letting oxygen get into the bottle.

Watertones--Was it the PG or the VG sample pack from JC that you ordered?--Thanks--Sun

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Any results as of yet Terraphon? I am quite interested in this.

GAH!

I meant to post the results in here and I totally forgot.

Here's what I came up with.

Copper content was < 1 ppm (some indication of detection in the .5 ppm range but the reagents I use are meant to be used on water, not nicotine and oils so I'm NOT sure of their efficacy).

I also ran rudimentary oxidation tests with Sulfuric, Sulfamic and Hydrochloric acids and was unable to create a reaction...That is to say that I was unable to get the solution to turn green even at 1:1 juice : HCl. I'd say that rules out the oxidation theory.

I'd like to perform pH / alkalinity / dissolved solids tests but I don't have a big enough sample. I could do dilution tests but I can't be arsed to bother with the math.

Verdict : I don't know. I know that the oxidation theory is shot to hell and I don't think it's a copper issue (damned good thing, too...Copper toxicity ain't pretty). I'm still not apt to put the stuff in my body after the things I've seen.

I'm doing a series of reviews on JC liquids right now and will be going through about 1 ml of several of them (actually vaping up about .1 ml or so) and then I'm done with their crap until they sort themselves out.

The unknown is, for me, too risky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread