What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Pikeybarsteward

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
UK
I think they still make Railroad Mills, Swisher ?

The United States is the one big gap in my smokeless knowledge . I'd love to be able get some US snuffs and dip'n'chew but it ends up real expensive by the time it gets to my doorstep .

I also know most of it wouldn't suit me anyway . I'm not into dry snuffs or spit tobaccos as a rule, I just want the experiences under my belt . :) .

I ve been rocking the Sixphoto MG Madras still . Loving it , Sixphoto are probably my favourite snuffmaker right now .

I've also been alternating a pot of Offroad Original los and a pot of Odens Original whites . Quite like the Odens white ...somehow tastier than the los or the portions ?

Most 'portioned' snus doesn't suit me at all so it's rare I come across a white that I buy twice .

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I did a quick search online and found a picture.

e4c40f45bc509da0ba4e30853b9f3a28.jpg

It’s still available but the can looks different.

Pikeybarsteward

Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2011
    UK
    I was looking at the history , Railroad mills snuffs were made out of New Jersey at the George W. Helme tobacco mill . Started in 1866 at that site , finished in 1997 when Swisher moved production .

I have long wanted to try their Maccoboy ,a moister snuff with a stellar reputation, but even a US citizen has to work hard to get this stuff if they live outside of the regional distribution areas .I've got no chance. :D . In some States a wide variety is on the shelf at general stores , based on what I read from American snuff enthusiasts .

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    5R1vGvjl.jpg

VG2NfOll.jpg

5 grand later and we have our back yard back. Waiting for it to dry out a bit before they bring in another load of topsoil and put the final grade on it. It'll be nice to have the grass planted and not have to do all that weed whipping around that fence and stone retaining wall that went almost all the way around.

We've also got a renovation company coming in late Nov/early Dec. They're going to reconfigure our master suite a bit. The bathroom is getting gutted and redone along with having one of the enormous closets in the bedroom removed, so we'll end up gaining another 10ish sq/ft in the bathroom and 25 sq/ft in the bedroom.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yes Hitt, that can is plastic. I saw the funniest "review" of the snuff on Youtube. The guy really didn't understand snuff very well and, I couldn't figure out if he also was doing some spit tobacco at the same time since he kept spitting thru the video. Then after he finished his nasal review he did a review of using it orally.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I was looking at the history , Railroad mills snuffs were made out of New Jersey at the George W. Helme tobacco mill . Started in 1866 at that site , finished in 1997 when Swisher moved production .

I have long wanted to try their Maccoboy ,a moister snuff with a stellar reputation, but even a US citizen has to work hard to get this stuff if they live outside of the regional distribution areas .I've got no chance. :D . In some States a wide variety is on the shelf at general stores , based on what I read from American snuff enthusiasts .

Four years ago you could have bought four bottles worth, both Railroad Mills and Lorillard for $30 at auction. Not sure if they were filled or not.

Four Bottles Maccoboy Snuff, RR. Mills & Lorillard on LiveAuctioneers

What is the regional area it's found in? I live in PA and, if there was a source somewhere close, I'd be willing to get it for you.

Pikeybarsteward

Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2011
    UK
    That's very sweet of you to offer but I've had no end of trouble with US customs and the Import tax over here when I shop Stateside. it's got to the stage I never receive anything direct from America anymore , even personal items get taxed,heavily, when my name is on the parcel :D

It's annoying because I speak to a lot of US guys and gals that can't buy British snuff direct when I am spoilt with the stuff. If it weren't for two sets of Customs, DEA , Homeland Security and our respective tobacco laws , we could be trading our bounty .
    I'll have to get back to you on which areas and store chains have the distribution , just out of interest . :)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Darn Pikey, if I were still working and traveling, I probably could have carried it into the UK with me. I had 5 or 6 trips to the Windsor area before I retired although that was long before I ever got off cigarettes.

Boy Waho, you've got a real project going on there. Was that a pool behind the fence?

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Boy Waho, you've got a real project going on there. Was that a pool behind the fence?

Yep, 20'x40' 13' deep end. The previous owners had it put in because their son was on the swim team in the late 90's. He graduated and then it fell into disrepair, it hasn't been ran in 5-6 years when I bought the place 4 years ago.

The local pool supply company quoted me $12-$13 grand to repair everything, not worth it for us. Most excavation companies wanted roughly 10 grand to fill it in, but a new company opened up a few miles from my house where the owner had been doing it for 30 years and was just striking out on his own.

With "new business special" pricing of 5 grand it was time to get the loan and do it. All I have to do is keep one of his signs in my yard for a while. I told him I'd keep it up a year since he saved me 5 grand haha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I just wanted to report I had my first week of work and snus worked beautifully for the most part. I did a tiny bit of vaping some lunches, but not even all of them. I just tried wintergreen snus for the first time (was avoiding it thought I would hate it) but it's actually okay.

Last post on here today (potentially) as I have to finish my move into a weekday apartment, the commute is all kinds of WRONG and there were days I really thought I was gonna DIE. I am glad I did not put in a huge order of snus yet because all my money is tied up in said apartment, which is a total dive and will probably cost less than my commuting gas, but it was kind of an upfront chunk of change, sigh.

I actually LIKE wintergreen I was shocked to discover. Gonna buy like 5 tins more for variety today as I get groceries, LOL. I WILL make a big order at SOME point.

Also my job is going to go entirely "smoke" free which includes EVERY tobacco product EVEN snus (I was shocked they knew what it was) but like seriously, are they really going to enforce that, and how? If I put it in a non descript container in MY personal purse, I mean, are they REALLY going to like, have me open my mouth and stick out my tongue and wave it all around like the hokey pokey and/or prison? I don't think so. If not one sees me USE it, I truthfully do not understand how that is an enforceable thing.

I guess if it somehow IS, then I am going to have to go with nic lozenges which SUCK and are FAR more expensive, another reason that I don't want to make an order of a years worth of snus until I find out how the policy is "enforced" and also, what might happen to me.

Nic lozenges would be the suck, but I guess I will be finding out.

Anna

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Anna, got for you. Just because the majority hate Wintergreen doesn't mean you have bad taste in liking it. ;) It would never be my every day snus; however, I like throwing a can in here and there for variety. I also just purchased my third can of the Skoal snus, again for a sweeter variety (but not as sweet as the other US stuff).

I spent every other day in a tobacco free environment when my mom, and also my uncle, were in assisted living as well as various hospital visits for her and my uncle before they passed. Nobody ever even noticed. The biggest issue is insuring it stays in place when you're talking, at least until it gets to the point of being natural. I had a couple occasions early on where it slipped a bit and a corner got exposed. That hasn't happened to me in years now although, anymore, unless I'm in a tobacco free environment, I just pull my can out, dump the old into the lid and reload. Of course I'm 24x7x365.

• Informative
    Reactions: stols001

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Good news Anna! Sorry about the tobacco free work. I have always placed my portions in the back above my molars. A few days ago one of the guys at work saw me get a can out of my drawer and asked if I dipped. I said no, it’s snus. I’ve been using it for almost nine years and he still wouldn’t have known if he hadn’t seen the can. I can talk normally with a portion in and even eat if I wanted to. I think you can hide it at work.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    We have a no tobacco in the plant policy as well, but they only enforce smoking/vaping. I'm sure I'd get away with snus if they started enforcing it on oral tobacco as well. Honestly it's gross with the amount of dippers spitting on the floor/in trash cans so the whole place reeks of used wintergreen.

I recently discovered the only reason they even enforce the no vaping policy is because idiots were trying to get away with vaping "other stuff" on the line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Waho, the spitters probably would be the reason they eventually ban smokeless. It's pretty disgusting and I never would have gone smokeless if it weren't for snus. I hear you on the "other stuff" comment. The bar where I run poker has banned vaping at night for that exact reason. I even had one of my players try during the day and I put a quick stop to that.

Users who are viewing this thread