What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Main views of the offending walls. The small window in the dining room (first photo) is where the new sink will be. Second is standing where the new sink will be. All the ranch walls going the way of the dodo.

20200120_020403.jpg 20200120_020429.jpg

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
No Hitt, you are the longest constant poster on this page. I came along a couple months after you once TB led me here. However I'm pretty sure I'm the longest constant poster without a single drag on a cigarette. Once I found snus, with a little help from snuff here and there in the early days of quitting, I haven't touched a lit cigarette in well,,,,,we'll discuss in a few more days.

Can't wait to see the finished project Waho. Before and after shots are always so interesting. As far as the flooring in your house, is that hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate or vinyl? On this makeover, we'll eventually get to the flooring issue. I was close to buying some Cali vinyl for my dining room and possibly kitchen back around Xmas then backed off. I've got so much weight in there with hundreds of rounds of ammo in a heavy cabinet from the gf's nephew who passed plus a hutch and another china cabinet.

I have tile in the front of the hallway and sun room that I keep repairing with a box of new tiles that I found in the garage but they're 40 years old at this point. The rest of the house is carpeted (just as old). I'd like to keep with carpeting but not sure what the best answer is for resale if I decide to move South at some point. She on the other hand wants anything but carpet, women.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I almost forgot, if any of you are using Chrome as your browser or if you're not happy with the speed of what you're using, my gf talked me into trying the crypto browser. If you have a Coinbase account it will generate some small amount of Bitcoin for you but nobody is going to get rich with it. lol I started using it this weekend and I've got one penny's worth.

The thing I really like is its speed. It looks like you're using Chrome but is much more responsive. It also seems to handle Facebook much better at least it does on my PC. Anyway, here's a link to it if anyone is interested.

CryptoTab Browser - Lightweight, fast, and ready to mine!

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Can't wait to see the finished project Waho. Before and after shots are always so interesting. As far as the flooring in your house, is that hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate or vinyl? On this makeover, we'll eventually get to the flooring issue. I was close to buying some Cali vinyl for my dining room and possibly kitchen back around Xmas then backed off. I've got so much weight in there with hundreds of rounds of ammo in a heavy cabinet from the gf's nephew who passed plus a hutch and another china cabinet.

It's currently some super cheap/thin laminate the previous owners installed shortly before putting it up for sale.

We put way better laminate in our bedroom and waterproof vinyl laminate in the bathrooms we remodeled. We went with a more expensive vinyl laminate and like it quite a bit, so we're running it throughout the rest of the house except the bedrooms as part of this remodel.

Having it the kitchen/dining makes sense being waterproof, same with the foyer and mudroom. Not enough other space left to justify another flooring type so we figured just finish it off with the same stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That's great Waho. What type did you go with and did you install yourself? It looks pretty straightforward from what I've been seeing. I'm just somewhat concerned with the weight of some of the stuff and a living room that is kind of bouncy.

My LR is 17x17 or so and it isn't what I consider solid. I have a feeling we'll settle on carpet in the LR and luxury vinyl elsewhere.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We could really use new carpet in our house. We have real hardwood in the entryway and kitchen which is still in good condition. It’s just not in the budget. The college my youngest is going to is even more expensive than the one the oldest went to. Tuition is due again by the end of the month. I did the tile floor on the first level bathroom and we painted the vanity and I installed a quartz top and backsplash with a built in sink. I’m no tile wizard but am happy with how it came out. Once we get the youngest finished, we’ll be able to afford some updates. I envy you waho being able to get that renovation done. I’m sure it’s going to be great.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    We have Coretec in the bathrooms. I'm not sure which series it is but it was ~$8/ft². It looks fairly easy to install, but with the small size of a bathroom installation was cheap enough I didn't bother.

My wife are fairly conservative when it comes to things like vehicles/clothes/hobbies compared to a lot of folks I know. We'd rather save the money and invest it into our home. In 10 years when my buddies new truck has depreciated 80%, I'm hoping my house has appreciated a bit!

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    We have Coretec in the bathrooms. I'm not sure which series it is but it was ~$8/ft². It looks fairly easy to install, but with the small size of a bathroom installation was cheap enough I didn't bother.

My wife are fairly conservative when it comes to things like vehicles/clothes/hobbies compared to a lot of folks I know. We'd rather save the money and invest it into our home. In 10 years when my buddies new truck has depreciated 80%, I'm hoping my house has appreciated a bit!

It’s very smart to be like that. We saved for college for both the kids but not near enough. It’s ending up to pay for a little over a year and a half. We’ll pay what we can along the way and both will have some student loans. I do most of our own repairs around the house and also tiled our fireplace and hearth. I put in a door and put down flooring in the attic and installed lights so we can use it for storage. I fixed the furnace last week and put in a new drain in my wife’s sink in the master bathroom. We try to be thrifty most of the time. I am however guilty of going a little overboard at Xmas. I bought my wife a MacBook and got my oldest a Yamaha digital grand piano. The youngest just wanted AirPods and money. She’s been spending like crazy at college and ran through the savings she had in a few months.

Reactions: Waho

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    That's gonna look great when you're done Waho. That vinyl flooring is all the rage now, I've seen it in plenty of new homes. They can make it look like just about any wood you could want. We went with solid wood in our kitchen when we built 15 years ago, tile in the bathrooms, and carpet everywhere else. I'd like to ditch the carpet in the living room and bedrooms, the dog is a dirt magnet and keeping it clean is a pain. But I just invested in the new bed so that'll have to wait until the home improvement fund is replenished. And I hear you on kids Hit, they are moneysucks for sure. And mine are still in high school, I don't look forward to college. Heck just the thought of them both driving and the added expense makes my thrifty bone hurt.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's gonna look great when you're done Waho. That vinyl flooring is all the rage now, I've seen it in plenty of new homes. They can make it look like just about any wood you could want. We went with solid wood in our kitchen when we built 15 years ago, tile in the bathrooms, and carpet everywhere else. I'd like to ditch the carpet in the living room and bedrooms, the dog is a dirt magnet and keeping it clean is a pain. But I just invested in the new bed so that'll have to wait until the home improvement fund is replenished. And I hear you on kids Hit, they are moneysucks for sure. And mine are still in high school, I don't look forward to college. Heck just the thought of them both driving and the added expense makes my thrifty bone hurt.

I thought the kids were expensive when they were younger but it's nothing compared to when they are 16 and older. We bought both kids a car, paid insurance and maintenance and then they graduate and it's even more expensive. My youngest is going to Wichita State for nursing. Even though we live in KCMO, they are giving us in state tuition but it's still pretty expensive even with her small academic scholarship which is 2k a year. We are planning to get her out of the dorm next year and she's going to share an apartment with two friends. Room and board at her school is ridiculous. We can pay her rent and groceries for a year for what it costs for room and board for one semester. She'll still end up with some student loans but it shouldn't be catastrophic.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I hear you on the carpet. We have it in the other 2 bedrooms for the kids whenever we have them and basement to keep some of the chill out of the floor. Our dog is a shedder and dirt magnet also, and even being finished and a dehumidifier running, the basement carpet picks up that musty basement smell.

I credit most of the work we've done to lack of children, but we agreed it would be much easier to have this work done beforehand. Both monetarily and having a kid around all this dust kicked up is probably not good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Waho, you have that right on where to put the money. l've only bought five new cars in my life. I bought a Datsun (Nissan) station wagon out of the Army for $2,800 that rusted out 10 years later. Then there were three Mazdas. The first was a 626 when they were cheap and that eventually rusted out and I bought a new 626 when they weren't quite as inexpensive but still reasonable. Then I just had to get the Miata when it first came out in 90. I'd still have that car had it not gotten sandwiched in 2002 with just short of 60k on it. Since I retired that year, It would only be approaching or just over 100k on it. I don't know how most people can afford new cars today.

Yeah, the vinyl definitely is impressive looking.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    My wife had an old 626 when we met. It was kind of boxy. I don't remember what year that the car was but that was back in the early 90's and I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near new. We have only bought one new car and my wife is still driving it. It's a Mazda cx9 that we bought in 2013. She doesn't drive much so it should last a while yet.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Man don't get me started on vehicles. We own a travel trailer that we use for camping and that requires a larger SUV to tow it. We first had a Tahoe that we used until it had just over 250K miles on it, then traded it in on a Suburban that is now approaching 240K so it'll need to be replaced soon. I'm waiting until spring before I start looking as the plan is to pass along the Burb to my son for his first car as it still looks good and runs great and then get a newer SUV. Just looking at prices these days and it is crazy. $60-$70 thousand for a new fullsize SUV. Used ones 5 years old are still going for over $30 thousand but a lot of that has to do with the snow on the ground. Who the heck can afford a $1000 a month car payment? Not this guy that's for sure...

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    LOL Hitt, I loved the first one. It was early on when the brand was being introduced in the US. The second was okay but I was done with Mazda until the Miata came out. It was just too much like the English roadsters of the past ( I had two Triumphs in my early years). The one thing I heard every time the second 626 or even the Miata the one time I needed a part was the parts guy shaking his head about the cost of the Mazda parts. They were expensive.

Rebel, I'm so glad I'm past the need/desire for the bigger SUVs. I had a couple Explorers then a Yukon before I dropped back to the Escapes. The last one is just perfect more me. Enough towing capacity for a full load of firewood, about half a cord in the trailer and anything else larger that I need to move. Getting the top of the line model with 20k on it, coming off lease for about 55% of MSRP made the hurt reasonable.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    My mother in law got a 2015 escape used a couple years ago and my father in law just traded his fusion in on a really nice red escape. They both like them very much. We got the employee discount on my wife’s car when we bought it and got zero interest. That was the deciding factor on buying new for us. We got the basic sport model but with all wheel drive. It’s been a good car so far.

Reactions: The Rebel

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Pretty soon banks will have to push term out to 8/10 years for people to afford a new car. I'm a driver, I log about 30k a year on my car due to distance to work and kids functions. So I pick cars that get good mileage and then I keep them until they start falling apart or the cost of repair outweighs the value. My last car was a Malibu Maxx that I drove for 11 years and 280k miles. Now I have a Volkswagen that I'll drive until the doors fall off cause it's really the only way to get your moneys worth these days.

Users who are viewing this thread