hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The thing that bothers me with other inspectors is that there are contract documents and welding codes that have to be followed and if someone isn't doing their work correctly then it's the inspectors job to let them know it. However, you can be pleasant or you can be a jerk. I choose to be pleasant unless I am provoked. I had one guy turn in the worst weld test coupon I had ever seen and he wanted to argue with me about it. I finally lost my cool and told him off. I never heard from him again. I showed the coupon to a friend that is an inspector at a union training center and he laughed and said he wouldn't have even wasted his time calling the guy. I started working on industrial welding and cutting equipment before I took my master electrician exam but it has helped me as far as pay at my work. I find my work interesting most times and that has kept me here for 22.5 years. Every year there's new technology. Some of the machines I work on now are basically computers inside. Several now have usb or card reader ports and there are some you have to have a palm pilot or laptop to get into the programs.

I still haven't gotten the ice maker fixed on my refrigerator. It makes ice but the auger motor won't run to dispense it. I was going to order a motor to put in it but I think there's something else going on because the ice in the bucket is a little wet and is freezing together in a lump in the bin. Instead of guessing, I think I'm going to call a repair guy. I found a local place that has good reviews. They aren't cheap though. Minimum repair is $150.

Reactions: Waho

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I'm down to about three cans of jakobsson strong mint and am thinking about putting in an order at northerner for a few rolls. I was also thinking about adding a can or two of thunder xtreme mint. Has anyone tried it before? If it's like thunder frosted then I know I won't like it.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Drywallers finished up around 10:30 this morning. We started putting primer on and I realized my wife would never get it done alone before cabinets start getting installed tomorrow. Quick call to my committee man to put a vacation day in for today and we got the primer done and a coat of paint where the cabinets are going to end up so we're not taping them off and painting around them. Project manager is saying thinking another 2 weeks and we'll be done.

We ordered a very nice Samsung range 2 weeks ago, and last Sunday while at Home Depot we decided to look at the matching fridge's for the heck of it. As we walked past the range it was on sale for $500 less than we paid earlier. Thankfully we had the delivery set out far enough to cancel that order and get it at the sale price. They were also running a 2 year no interest or an additional 10% off deal with a Home Depot card, so we saved another $100 there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Drywallers finished up around 10:30 this morning. We started putting primer on and I realized my wife would never get it done alone before cabinets start getting installed tomorrow. Quick call to my committee man to put a vacation day in for today and we got the primer done and a coat of paint where the cabinets are going to end up so we're not taping them off and painting around them. Project manager is saying thinking another 2 weeks and we'll be done.

We ordered a very nice Samsung range 2 weeks ago, and last Sunday while at Home Depot we decided to look at the matching fridge's for the heck of it. As we walked past the range it was on sale for $500 less than we paid earlier. Thankfully we had the delivery set out far enough to cancel that order and get it at the sale price. They were also running a 2 year no interest or an additional 10% off deal with a Home Depot card, so we saved another $100 there.

That's great that you were able to save the $500. We bought a Samsung double oven range a little over a year ago and have been pretty happy with it so far. It has been a bit of a learning curve using the convection ovens and the flat cooktop. The cooktop has been the biggest thing for me to get used to. Our old one was just a plain cheap one that the builder put in with regular heating elements. The new one is flat top and the burners actually cycle on and off to maintain the temperature you have them set at. One thing I really like and we have used quite a bit is the warming center in the center rear of the cooktop. It's nice for keeping things warm if one thing is finished cooking before the rest of the meal is done.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I hear you Roth. I replaced several receptacles and the elements on our old cooktop to limp it along before this remodel. It kept burning out receptacles on the large burners for whatever reason, but I didn't put much thought into it what with replacing it with a standard range in the new kitchen.

Sounds like we have bought the same range Hitt, except ours is the single oven. We're reusing the existing wall oven as a second oven so we figured having the larger oven in the range was more flexible. My only concern is we cook with cast iron often enough and I know they don't recommend it due to the potential of breaking the glass.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Current view of the kitchen space. Cabinet install guy was scheduled to be here between 8:30-9, but apparently is running behind somewhere. It's snowing pretty good currently so I'm thinking that's the culprit.

img_20200213_091154.jpg

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I hear you Roth. I replaced several receptacles and the elements on our old cooktop to limp it along before this remodel. It kept burning out receptacles on the large burners for whatever reason, but I didn't put much thought into it what with replacing it with a standard range in the new kitchen.

Sounds like we have bought the same range Hitt, except ours is the single oven. We're reusing the existing wall oven as a second oven so we figured having the larger oven in the range was more flexible. My only concern is we cook with cast iron often enough and I know they don't recommend it due to the potential of breaking the glass.

We've only used cast iron a few times. You just need to be a little careful is all. One of the kids chipped a corner on ours shortly after we got it but I got this stuff on amazon that comes in a bottle with a brush and you can't tell it was ever damaged. It's a little cheaper now than when we bought it but here's the one we got.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-Fl...teel-Common-30-in-Actual-29-875-in/1000220201

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Ah, ours is actually a bit different. It's front controls since we're only doing a tile backsplash behind the range and it'll show more of that off.

Samsung 5.8 cu. ft. Slide-In Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Dual Convection Oven in Stainless Steel-NE58K9430SS - The Home Depot

They are very similar in appearance and controls. Does yours have wifi capability? Not that anyone really needs it and not the reason we bought it but I downloaded an app and connected our range to the wifi in the house. If we are out and about and want to preheat the oven on the way home then I can do it from my phone. I guess you could leave a prepared dish in there and then start the oven to cook it remotely also. We really have only used it once or twice.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm not sure. Seems situationally useful though.

My wife is very anti technology in all forms. She only uses her cell phone for streaming Netflix etc, refuses to acknowledge things like Nest thermostats and Ring door bells. Anything with Alexa or Google assistant is the devil.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    The cabinet guy ended up here around 11:30, brought everything in and set his tools up. He had a sleep through your alarm morning, which I can relate to but is still kinda annoying.

After I left for work, my wife noticed he was just kinda faffing about. He was trying to get a hold of our project manager because our site spec sheet went missing and he needed it know where everything went and for certain measurements. I had trouble getting a hold of him yesterday also, and that was rather odd as he is usually right on answering the phone.

My wife got to talking to him and it turns out his wife died suddenly/unexpectedly 6 months ago and he's taking care of 6 kids under 18 by himself. He got his kids on the bus and immediately fell back asleep, so I can't be mad at the guy.

The cabinet guy made a comment like "at this rate it's gonna take 2 weeks to get these cabinets set" which my wife took as an actual estimate of the time it will take and immediately started freaking out. On the home shows at this point it only takes 17 seconds to wrap this up!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Sounds like he's taken on a load, you have to feel for the guy. I know my dad was born and my grandmother died soon afterward and his twin also passed away in that first year. My aunt was 17 or 18 at the time and basically took over the role of raising him as well as going to college and getting her teaching degree. However it was only one (two for a short time) babies they were dealing with.

Hope his comment wasn't an estimate though. Does he have someone working with him?

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    He has been by himself both days he's been here. Today he showed up with the spec sheet and set roughly half the lowers. At this rate it shouldn't be more than a couple days.

We discovered today the project manager marked the vent hood vent outlet on the right edge of the range instead of the center. It won't cost us anything to have that taken care of. I'm just hoping they can replace the hard pipe with a flex pipe and not have to cut another hole in the roof.

We also realized the drywall guys covered up a 3 gang box in the new wall. I thought it would be hard to miss a box that big but what do I know? (Says the guy who didn't notice it for 5 days...) 20200214_233939.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Don't know if I have 3 hours, days, weeks months years or decades left (hopefully not decades) but I made it a decade without a single drag. Never thought there was going to be a possibility that I'd quit after dozens of attempts failed.

View attachment 869811

Congratulations Roth!!!! That’s fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread