hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I got a note in my mailbox last week that my mailbox was too low after 25 years living here. They gave me 2 weeks to bring it up to spec. Now in 25 years there were 75 seasons that the task would have been simple, the 25 winters were not so.

I had noticed my neighbor had put some plastic box between the post and his mailbox which brought it up to 36" but spec was between 41 and 45 ". He hasn't heard anything so maybe she won't push him anymore as my neighbor on the other side is below that.

I thought about taking one of the rounds I have here, chainsawing it into the proper size and using that but after picking one out that would work and picking it up, even trimmed down it would have been heavy.

Good thing I don't live in a development, particularly one with community standards. I looked around my basement and found a plastic two drawer storage bin that was just a bit wider than my mailbox and within spec on height. I also found a 1x6 treated board to put between the metal post and plastic bin.

I still must have spent an hour trying to get one rusted bolt to let the mailbox loose from the post. I had to hacksaw the nut so I could bang it off the bolt but it finally let loose. I found a couple of my oldest ratchet straps, put the board on the post, the bin on the board and the mailbox on to of that. I tightened those ratchets up and the mailbox is sturdier than it's been in years. It was only held on with that one bolt and two bungies for years after someone came thru and played mailbox baseball one night so it already had a big dent in it.

I ordered a new mailbox/post combination that should be in next week that I'll decide how to bury one of the various below ground devices available to plant a 4x4 wooden post to that is required for the molded plastic mailbox and post. I have an untreated one n the basement that I'll protect and use to attach the plastic post to.

View attachment 927363

I have to admit Roth that set up is a little red neck and made me laugh. They picked the wrong time of year to crack down on height requirements for sure. We had a mail lady hit ours with the little mail jeep once and she was going to drive away with it laying on the ground but my wife saw it and yelled at her. My box hasn’t closed right since. I really should replace it. Maybe this summer.

Anders Svensson

Unresolved Status
    Jan 25, 2020
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered supplier

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009

I haven’t. I tried thunder frosted a long time ago and didn’t like it. I do wish that thunder would come back with the raspberry though. I really miss it. I’m down to just a few cans in the freezer and have been rationing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Burnie

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    They don't call it Pennsyltucky for nothing Hitt. lol The trash people down in VA did that to the mailbox there. My friends who are living there saw someone at the mailbox and asked what they were doing and found out what happened. It occured right before I arrived this Spring to take care of some issues. They told me the box was up but you could only open it part way. She was going to complain but I said let me take a look.

Turns out they must have snapped off the piece of wood the box sat on and replaced it. What they didn't check was to make sure they mounted it far enough forward so the door would open. A quick fix and all was good.

You'll notice from the picture of my redneck solution that the box is plenty forward so the door opens fine. Nothing but fine workmanship.

Actually glad I got it up before this cold came in. The next 10 days are averaging around a high of 40 and a low of 25 and the new box isn't even in yet. I doubt I'll be able to dig down to put in a new post until late March or April at this point. Who knows what kind of rock I'll hit trying to dig down two feet around here. The next township over is Rockhill and there's a reason for that name in these parts. That's just like my house in VA in Hillsville, self descriptive.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    They don't call it Pennsyltucky for nothing Hitt. lol The trash people down in VA did that to the mailbox there. My friends who are living there saw someone at the mailbox and asked what they were doing and found out what happened. It occured right before I arrived this Spring to take care of some issues. They told me the box was up but you could only open it part way. She was going to complain but I said let me take a look.

Turns out they must have snapped off the piece of wood the box sat on and replaced it. What they didn't check was to make sure they mounted it far enough forward so the door would open. A quick fix and all was good.

You'll notice from the picture of my redneck solution that the box is plenty forward so the door opens fine. Nothing but fine workmanship.

Actually glad I got it up before this cold came in. The next 10 days are averaging around a high of 40 and a low of 25 and the new box isn't even in yet. I doubt I'll be able to dig down to put in a new post until late March or April at this point. Who knows what kind of rock I'll hit trying to dig down two feet around here. The next township over is Rockhill and there's a reason for that name in these parts. That's just like my house in VA in Hillsville, self descriptive.

My neighbor got one with a metal post and just pounded it down into the ground. It’s a decent set up. I’ve still got a 4x4 post that’s over 20 years old.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I had to raise mine 6" within a few months of moving to this house. Mines a plastic unit on a 4x4 set into a buried 5 gallon bucket of concrete. It was late Spring and easy enough to remove the bolts, drill new holes, and remount it.

It just looks dumb with exposed wood on the bottom now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I bought the same type setup Waho and there definitely will be exposed wood. My plan is to dig the hole in the spring when your feet don't freeze and the ground is somewhat soft and figure out what type underground setup I want to use, there are a number of choices from a screw in type to a metal that, if you have nice clean soil should work by pounding it in. However having dug around here, with all the rocks, I know I'll need to work some out and plant whatever I use in quikrete. I'm going to take a small piece of the mailbox with me and try to match the color of the post so I can paint the exposed area because there certainly will be some.

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well the snow hammered us for the first time since I got my new Cub Cadet three stage. It performed great in getting my lane and my neighbor's short drive cleaned out. Getting the tarp over my firewood unweighted was a challenge. We got about 20-24", shrunk down by periods of freezing rain and sleet so it was pretty heavy. The back is the worst as I had to shovel away a path, rake the snow off and clear that same path that ended up with more snow than was originally there. I got my exercise for the last two days as it started on Sunday and Snowed into Tuesday.

I wonder how FC made out?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    FC I hear on that snowplow issue, one of the reasons I hate replacing the mailbox when Spring comes. Fortunately we don't have years like this one every year and mine was only clipped once and I was able to bend it back up to its current position.

The other issue is living on a gravel road. My mailbox didn't lower itself, the road crew raised the road over the last 24 years. I originally had a slight incline up into my lane, now I have a noticeable dip down, partly due to having my lane paved, then up to the road. There's probably a foot added to the height since I moved in. All the maintenance they need to perg=form every year you'd think they'd just pave the appx, mile of road. Heck, thinking as I write, it's not even a mile since the next twp over did exactly that up to our twp's line. It's at the upper most section of the road and the water runs off it paved area and washes out part of the unpaved at least 4 or 5 times a year.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It snowed here all weekend. Not a lot but maybe 4-5 inches but it’s also been below freezing and is supposed to be all week. The road cameras look like things aren’t very clear so it’s going to be a long drive to work.

My sump pump pump pipe froze yesterday and it built up pressure until it pushed the pipe in the basement out of the backflow preventer and sprayed some water in the basement. Luckily my wife heard it so we caught it pretty quickly and I unplugged the pump and went outside with a heat gun and thawed it out.

Reactions: rothenbj

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Not sure what I will do with the 15 cans of General White they sent me by mistake (they didn't ask me to send it back), as I do not like it, unless someone wants to do a trade, if so message me.

Is that the Mint? If so PM me and let's work something out.

Reactions: Burnie

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Sorry, Not the mint, I like that, it is the White, which has Bergamot, which I DO NOT like.

General Classic White Portion Snus

Ahhh, bummer. Haven't tried that one yet. I do like the Mint though. Need to stop at QT and get another can. I have an emergency can of Original that I'm using right now, which I'm not entirely fond of.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Retired1, you join a couple of us that consider General Mint as the goto snus of the day. I've gotten so fond of it that I rarely reach for the variety of flavors I've got stored in my freezer. I'm basically a 24x7x365 dat a year snuser too.

Yepper. Don't know what it is about the Original that's so unappealing. But I do like the Mint. I'll keep a pouch in until it's close to disintegrated. :lol:

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    Don't know what it is about the Original that's so unappealing.
    Most likely the Bergamot, the mint does not have it, most (if not all) other General snus does have it. You either love it or hate it, and it is in a lot of different brands out there. I am guessing the Swedish must really like it.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Most likely the Bergamot, the mint does not have it, most (if not all) other General snus does have it. You either love it or hate it, and it is in a lot of different brands out there. I am guessing the Swedish must really like it.

Don't really hate it, but I definitely don't like it. :lol:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    A picture of my house covered in snow popped up in FB from 4 years ago and it pretty much looks like my house today sans the snow in my driveway was cleared on Sunday, preparing for what's coming later this week. It dates my new snow blower also, I've had it now for 4 years. I decided fighting my old, second hand Sears blower wasn't enough for the bad years and I was right. The three stage Cub Cadet cuts through the heavy stuff much easier and replacing the shear pins is a piece of cake by comparison.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Snow? What's that? :D

Capture+_2021-02-09-08-41-17.png