What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
How did you make out Burnie, if/when you get electric back if you lost it? From where you marked on the map, you hopefully missed the worst of it.

I have friends that moved down there late last year and bought a house in Rotunda West on one of those peninsulas where it got pretty bad. They were scared by what they'd find after they returned after evacuating. The area flooded but apparently not into their houses although it's been since that first night that they've been able to post anything since, wherever they are currently has no juice.

We are just now starting to get the edges of the storm here with two days of rain expected. Our electric grid has been flaky lately with periodic outages, however I dread the thought that we get hit right now because I'm sure a lot of out linemen are down south dealing with that mess. That's the scenario where we are out for days at times.

My search for a dog has been discouraged or discouraging. I was approved by one of the rescues but after reading the contract that needed to be signed for adoption, I wouldn't really own the dog, just rent it. I couldn't even decide who would get the animal if I were no longer here to take care of it. I'd have to have it returned to them. Of course, that could be a good thing. It cost me over $500 to take care of Jackson at the end.
Well it kept heading further and further west in track and came by within 10 miles of my home. We had no real damage except the privacy fence in the back is leaning real bad, think the guy who put it up didn't use enough concrete in the poles. Lots of debris from the oaks, cleaned the front yesterday, going to start on the back today. Lucked out and didn't loose power (88% of the county did) and internet has been mostly working. Cell service has been up and down a lot but seems to be stable now. Could have been a lot worse.

Picture shows path and about where I am located.

1664624775865.png

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Well it kept heading further and further west in track and came by within 10 miles of my home. We had no real damage except the privacy fence in the back is leaning real bad, think the guy who put it up didn't use enough concrete in the poles. Lots of debris from the oaks, cleaned the front yesterday, going to start on the back today. Lucked out and didn't loose power (88% of the county did) and internet has been mostly working. Cell service has been up and down a lot but seems to be stable now. Could have been a lot worse.

Picture shows path and about where I am located.

View attachment 981756
    I’m glad you didn’t get hit hard by the storm. I saw yesterday that some people were finding catfish in their lawns and driveway. I don’t remember all the details but something about a breed of catfish that could survive s for a while on land.

Reactions: Burnie

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    I’m glad you didn’t get hit hard by the storm. I saw yesterday that some people were finding catfish in their lawns and driveway. I don’t remember all the details but something about a breed of catfish that could survive s for a while on land.
    It's called the Walking Catfish, an invasive species, and quite common around here.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Had a weird one tonight. My gf said she tripped a breaker in the bedroom. I went out and checked the breakers, nothing tripped. I couldn't remember ever tripping one there so I wondered if perhaps the BR was on the subpanel in the basement, nothing tripped there. Lights in master bath were fine but the bath off the BR were out. Could the BR be connected in a circuit with the GFI outlet in the master bath? I wanted a lamp to plug in there to see if there was juice and unplugged one from a power strip in the bedroom and all the lights come on.

I thought for a moment and it hit me that she had a space heater hooked up there yesterday. I asked where she plugged it in. Of course it was into the power strip. I explained you just don't do that. I figured she must have fried something in the strip. She went to Walmart to get a new one. She gets back, plugs the new strip in, lights go out! WTF

I have no idea what's going on. Once we get some daylight, I figure I'll take a look at the outlet but this is something totally foreign to anything I've ever experienced.

• Wow

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Had a weird one tonight. My gf said she tripped a breaker in the bedroom. I went out and checked the breakers, nothing tripped. I couldn't remember ever tripping one there so I wondered if perhaps the BR was on the subpanel in the basement, nothing tripped there. Lights in master bath were fine but the bath off the BR were out. Could the BR be connected in a circuit with the GFI outlet in the master bath? I wanted a lamp to plug in there to see if there was juice and unplugged one from a power strip in the bedroom and all the lights come on.

I thought for a moment and it hit me that she had a space heater hooked up there yesterday. I asked where she plugged it in. Of course it was into the power strip. I explained you just don't do that. I figured she must have fried something in the strip. She went to Walmart to get a new one. She gets back, plugs the new strip in, lights go out! WTF

I have no idea what's going on. Once we get some daylight, I figure I'll take a look at the outlet but this is something totally foreign to anything I've ever experienced.
    Was anything plugged into the new power strip when she plugged it into the wall? If not then I’d replace the outlet. It might be wired in line with the lights that go on/off when you plug in the power strip. If the wires on the outlet are the push in style then definitely replace the outlet and wrap the wires around the screws instead of pushing them in. Those push in connections can get bad.

• Agree

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Was anything plugged into the new power strip when she plugged it into the wall? If not then I’d replace the outlet. It might be wired in line with the lights that go on/off when you plug in the power strip. If the wires on the outlet are the push in style then definitely replace the outlet and wrap the wires around the screws instead of pushing them in. Those push in connections can get bad.
    Yeah Hitt, that was my thought too. What's strange is I went back to see if she wanted to work on getting the space heater, that she should have used instead of the one she did, plugged back in. It was plugged in behind a bureau that's really a pain to move. She has this habit of loading all kinds of junk on top of it. Anyway, we unplugged it trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway, she had the other one plugged directly into the outlet with no issues.

I really want to check out that outlet tomorrow.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Yeah Hitt, that was my thought too. What's strange is I went back to see if she wanted to work on getting the space heater, that she should have used instead of the one she did, plugged back in. It was plugged in behind a bureau that's really a pain to move. She has this habit of loading all kinds of junk on top of it. Anyway, we unplugged it trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway, she had the other one plugged directly into the outlet with no issues.

I really want to check out that outlet tomorrow.
    I’m curious to hear what you find.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well, I think it was crazy GF as opposed to any other issue, at least for now.

Once she woke up and plugged in the heater behind the set of drawers (I don't twist real easy these days), I plugged the new power strip in, no issues. I plugged in the two other things she previously had plugged in, also no issue. Until further notice, I'm going with destroyed power strip from her plugging the heater into it and NJ crazy as the final diagnosis.

I've personally not seen anything unusual since we unplugged the original power strip.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Well, I think it was crazy GF as opposed to any other issue, at least for now.

Once she woke up and plugged in the heater behind the set of drawers (I don't twist real easy these days), I plugged the new power strip in, no issues. I plugged in the two other things she previously had plugged in, also no issue. Until further notice, I'm going with destroyed power strip from her plugging the heater into it and NJ crazy as the final diagnosis.

I've personally not seen anything unusual since we unplugged the original power strip.
    Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully that's the end of that problem.

• Agree

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I use Smok Nords almost exclusively these days. Of course I'm not a vaping wizard like Hitt.

As to our earlier discussion on electric, it's still not resolved, just handled. After my last post when I thought I had it resolved, it happened again. I resolved it by unplugging everything from the outlet and no issues. That's been like two weeks.

I found an electric forum and posed a question but it was for pros and got a nasty response about doing your own electric. lol Someone did give me a link to a DIY site and got some useful ideas but I haven't relished the thought of getting myself back in the small space my gf allowed me and, of course, you need to work on it with full daylight so it's a project waiting for attention, PLUS....

There's the dog issue. I just missed Jackson and started looking at rescues but it was such a hassle. I was doing something and a desire came over me to go to the local SPCA. I really didn't expect to find anything but I thought I'd check.

They had 4 Labradoodles that a puppy mill abandoned when they were of no longer use to them. Two were 6 years old and looked so sad. There was a 4 year old female that I think I would have tried to adopt because she looked at me like she wanted me to take her out of there. Unfortunately, there was already someone applying for her. Even on my second trip when the adopters showed up right after me to take a second look, she saw me and was saying (with her eyes), I want you.

Finally was her son, a two-year-old that was so matted that they had shaved him down. All he did, from the moment I saw him until about a week later when I picked him up, was bark at me and back away. Even the second trip in, after I was waiting approval, treats didn't even change his personality. I still was willing to take the challenge. He had never seen the inside of a house and spent his life, at the mill I suppose, living in a cage not successfully generating puppies. He was so scared.

Well he's here now, sleeping against my .... as I type this. He's working on a day and a half not taking a dump. I won't let him out of my sight until he does so. He had three accidents in the house but has no problem waiting to go outside to take a pee. I took him to the dog park this morning. It's close to half a mile from where you park. He ran around like a greyhound but nothing. Walked him deeper into the park and back out, same thing.

I have a full time job right now and my legs feel it. Hopefully, this battle of wills will soon be over.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I use Smok Nords almost exclusively these days. Of course I'm not a vaping wizard like Hitt.

As to our earlier discussion on electric, it's still not resolved, just handled. After my last post when I thought I had it resolved, it happened again. I resolved it by unplugging everything from the outlet and no issues. That's been like two weeks.

I found an electric forum and posed a question but it was for pros and got a nasty response about doing your own electric. lol Someone did give me a link to a DIY site and got some useful ideas but I haven't relished the thought of getting myself back in the small space my gf allowed me and, of course, you need to work on it with full daylight so it's a project waiting for attention, PLUS....

There's the dog issue. I just missed Jackson and started looking at rescues but it was such a hassle. I was doing something and a desire came over me to go to the local SPCA. I really didn't expect to find anything but I thought I'd check.

They had 4 Labradoodles that a puppy mill abandoned when they were of no longer use to them. Two were 6 years old and looked so sad. There was a 4 year old female that I think I would have tried to adopt because she looked at me like she wanted me to take her out of there. Unfortunately, there was already someone applying for her. Even on my second trip when the adopters showed up right after me to take a second look, she saw me and was saying (with her eyes), I want you.

Finally was her son, a two-year-old that was so matted that they had shaved him down. All he did, from the moment I saw him until about a week later when I picked him up, was bark at me and back away. Even the second trip in, after I was waiting approval, treats didn't even change his personality. I still was willing to take the challenge. He had never seen the inside of a house and spent his life, at the mill I suppose, living in a cage not successfully generating puppies. He was so scared.

Well he's here now, sleeping against my .... as I type this. He's working on a day and a half not taking a dump. I won't let him out of my sight until he does so. He had three accidents in the house but has no problem waiting to go outside to take a pee. I took him to the dog park this morning. It's close to half a mile from where you park. He ran around like a greyhound but nothing. Walked him deeper into the park and back out, same thing.

I have a full time job right now and my legs feel it. Hopefully, this battle of wills will soon be over.
    Good luck with the new dog and the electric problem.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I'm thinking about placing what is a fairly large order for me at snus central. I have 80 cans in my cart which would allow me to get the $20 discount at 250 and would put my cost per can at 3.60. I think that's pretty good.

• Agree

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I did go ahead and place that order. I’ve been using the jakobsson mint more and didn’t have near as much of that as I did the general mint. I also picked up a couple rolls of general and one roll of the Christmas snus. I think I remembered liking it before and thought it would be good to have something besides two mint flavors to break things up.

Users who are viewing this thread