Where is it acceptable to vape?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aumaan

Aug 26, 2014
United States
Please don't take my posts as negative guys. I'm just trying to give food for thought. vaping is still new to the masses and most aren't enthusiasts and don't fully understand what vaping is. I get asked daily about my vaping. It starts so many convos. People just aren't very educated on this yet.
If people want to ask questions I'm all for answering and helping them understand. I even turned the natural leaf smoker on to vaping where he wants to go get a kit to quit the nails.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've never had anyone ask me not to vape in a store or a restaurant. I do it respectfully by taking slow hits and blowing the vapor down my shirt quickly so that the vapor doesn't hang in the air. You can't do primer puffs in public and not have people notice and it's hard to hide a Provari and a Kayfun in your hand.

The more people who switch to ecigs, the more likely we will be restricted. My wife and I are in Walmart, Kroger, and many other retail stores and restaurants several times a week for something or another. I vape in all of them and no one notices. Workers see me and ignore it. Every once in a while someone will come up and ask me about my ecig. I explain it to them and they usually say they need to introduce a relative who won't quit smoking to ecigs. I give them a card with a local vendor's name on it and write the URL for ECF on the back.

VannyPak

Sep 2, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I always ask before I vape. I think it's stricter in some states. I'm from Texas so most bars and restaurants (and bingo halls) still have smoking sections so I'll ask do I have sit in those or will they have a problem with me vaping. Usually I get the "Oh, it's completely fine with me but if someone complains then you would have to stop." and I'm okay with that. There's only one club here that is smoke free but they don't care if I vape. One of the bouncers actually stood up for me so I think it's all about common courtesy. After all, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I always ask before I vape. I think it's stricter in some states. I'm from Texas so most bars and restaurants (and bingo halls) still have smoking sections so I'll ask do I have sit in those or will they have a problem with me vaping. Usually I get the "Oh, it's completely fine with me but if someone complains then you would have to stop." and I'm okay with that. There's only one club here that is smoke free but they don't care if I vape. One of the bouncers actually stood up for me so I think it's all about common courtesy. After all, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

And you will catch even more flies with bull**** than honey. :p

I know what you meant. I just always get a kick out of that saying.

abbysinthe

Jan 15, 2014
Arizona
I always ask first when at a bar or restaurant. It's not often I'm told 'no' but it does happen...and regardless of the answer I'm almost always thanked for asking. There's so much anti-vaping hype right now that I don't want to do anything to perpetuate it. Being polite and respectful is a good way to go.

That being said, I don't do it when walking through stores - they're not places I would have been allowed to smoke so I don't vape there.

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium
Hi, here in Belgium vaping is much less known to the general public as in the States I think. Our fantastic government has deemed vaping a 'tobacco product' so smoking bans by law do apply to vaping as well. Vaping is thus forbidden by law in bars, restaurants or public buildings like train stations, government buildings, airports and at the work place (except for the designated smoking area). Not only that, but the government has also forbidden the sale of nicotine containing liquids or e-cigs in Belgium. It is not illegal to have them, it is illegal to sell them. Infuriating that you can legally sell nicotine-containing, cancer-causing cigarettes everywhere, but e-liquids with nicotine are a big no-no. I suppose the obvious reason is that cigarette taxation brings in billions of euros? It's mindblowing but hey, our government is never really prone to logic and common sense as long as there are many euros at stake. :confused:

I only vape for a week, but whenever in a bar, restaurant, plane or at work and I need a few puffs, I just retreat in the bathroom for 5 minutes, sit on the porcelain throne and vape away. No one sees, no one smells, no one knows. :)

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
I was outside the emergency room of a large regional medical center late last night, far from the doors, standing next to an ashtray, vaping. A cop walked by, stopped and asked loud and sternly, "WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?" I replied, "Melons". He stared at me. Please keep in mind I am an old gray haired woman, not exactly your typical criminal type. He then said, "do you need a medical card for those melons", obviously laying on the sarcasm. I laughed and said, "No, no weeds involved, just vaping melons." He shook his head and walked away. My funniest encounter yet. :D

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Lebanon, Indiana, United States
I actually have vaped in the movie theater before. I was using a Vuse at the time. I just covered the light and exhaled into my shirt. Even the person next to me didn't notice I was vaping some. lol. I think a lot of these bans on vaping are idiotic. I do refrain in restaurants and grocery stores unless I am in the bathroom. But I do think it is rediculas to ban them there too. I do try to be nice and respectful but you won't catch me obeying the restrictions in parks if they have them. At a certain point we have to stand up for ourselves and let ourselves me heard. If we just roll over our rights for vaping will be completely taken away from us as well.

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
I was outside the emergency room of a large regional medical center late last night, far from the doors, standing next to an ashtray, vaping. A cop walked by, stopped and asked loud and sternly, "WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?" I replied, "Melons". He stared at me. Please keep in mind I am an old gray haired woman, not exactly your typical criminal type. He then said, "do you need a medical card for those melons", obviously laying on the sarcasm. I laughed and said, "No, no weeds involved, just vaping melons." He shook his head and walked away. My funniest encounter yet. :D

lmao that is great. I am surprised he didn't try to bust you for being a smart a though lol

Letooke

Sep 4, 2014
Belgium

Lol that's a good one. Me too I feel like when I'm vaping in public somewhere people tend to look at me like I'm tugging on a .... or something. :facepalm:

Oops censured: .... = clear device with water used for smoking psychotropic plant material

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
For me the problem with the no vaping stuff doesn't come from owners of businesses not allowing it. When it comes to that I don't mind following their rules. My problem comes from the government stepping in and telling me where I can and can not vape. They have overstepped themselves enough as it is with analogs. To the point where even many non-smokers think it is outrageous. Now they want to lump vaporizers in with cigarettes. I can understand them wanting to require ID showing they are 18 and I can understand wanting to regulate the E-Juices a bit more. I even sorta understand trying to tax it. Though they shouldn't give it the same tax as cigarettes and the taxes shouldn't be as high. The taxes are one of the reasons analogs cost so much as it is. What they need to do though is treat it as a separate thing cause it is. They need to not lump it into the same bans and need to leave it up to business owners to decide whether to allow them in their businesses or not. We shouldn't just roll over for the government as well. Yes we should be polite. But there is a limit to that politeness. If we don't stand up our our rights they will be taken from us. Which is one of the things they are trying to do.

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
You can't go wrong if you understand that your rights come to an abrupt halt where another's rights begin.
Any business owner has the right to say vaping is not OK on my property.

Yep and I respect that. I just don't respect the government trying to enforce bans. They are trying to not only take away our rights but also the rights of the business owners. A lot of bars in Indianapolis actually lost a lot of business when they implemented their no smoking ban in bars and clubs in Indianapolis. Private clubs were excludes. But the ban extend to e-cigs as well. The nearby cities of Beach Grove and Speedway on the other hand have seen an increase in business in their bars because smokers are driving to their bars instead. Since they are collecting so much extra just on the taxes from it, both cities have said they won't be banning smoking. The bad things about this ban there though is not only did they hurt actual business owners but they also made it so there would be more drunk drivers on the road for a longer period of time. Instead of just going to a bar just down the street or a few blocks away, these people are driving to speedway and beech grove. Meaning when they go back they will be driving drunk a longer distance thus increasing the risk of car accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread