Which Tank do you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
I have all the stuff now to make my own subs and mini-subs and hope to find time to make a few today. Plus, I'm going to install a filling port with screw into my Liquinator tank.
If anyone is interested, here are the sources to get the stuff needed to install fill ports on any (except glass) tank.

Tap, dye and screw for tanks

Screw http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=4840

Note: The actual screw is much shorter than the one in the graphic and doesn't have the unthreaded part between the head and threads.

Tap and bit Amazon.com: Irwin 80213 Plug Tap And Drill Bit Combo: Home Improvement

Tap wrench set http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-t-handle-tap-wrenches-38560.html

Another tap wrench $5 Taps, Punches & Dies | Taps & Dies | Two-In-One Tap Wrenches-TR-73 -For Tap No. 0 to 1/4"-Carded | B223767 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Last edited:

jed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
NW NJ
A little tip I picked up from a Vaping Monkey review... You can use a Boge or any standard length carto in a DCT by using a long straight stainless steal drip tip... Simply insert the straight drip tip in the carto and insert in the tank since the drip tip and carto are the same diameter...

sounds about right, here's the drip tip SS Slug Drip Tip...just ordered to give it a try...thx

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
I've heard that you should use cartos in the 3ohm range when it comes to using a vv mod, has anybody else heard about this or why? I've been looking at all these tanks you guys have mentioned but I don't know what ohm I should get for cartos to use in them.

I sometimes use LR Boge carto's in my tanks with my VV mod..... I just don't set the voltage any higher than about 3.7 volts or so.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I have all the stuff now to make my own subs and mini-subs and hope to find time to make a few today. Plus, I'm going to install a filling port with screw into my Liquinator tank.
If anyone is interested, here are the sources to get the stuff needed to install fill ports on any (except glass) tank.

Tap, dye and screw for tanks

Screw http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=4840

Note: The actual screw is much shorter than the one in the graphic and doesn't have the unthreaded part between the head and threads.

Tap and bit Amazon.com: Irwin 80213 Plug Tap And Drill Bit Combo: Home Improvement

Tap wrench set http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-t-handle-tap-wrenches-38560.html

Another tap wrench $5 Taps, Punches & Dies | Taps & Dies | Two-In-One Tap Wrenches-TR-73 -For Tap No. 0 to 1/4"-Carded | B223767 - GlobalIndustrial.com

I just got back from Lowes with the screws and drill bit to mod my tanks. I bought the nylon screws 6-32 and a 3-32 drill bit. The drill bits they had either looked the same size as my screw or smaller.. I chose the smaller one. They didn't carry any taps. The drill bit looks a bit smaller than the screw so I figured I could use a pointed screw (we've got thousands laying around here) to tap it. Let me know how it turns out. I'm waiting on my husband to get home and drill the holes in my tubing (that he cut for me last week)

Your screw looks a bit more user friendly than mine, mine is a flat head screwdriver top while yours looks like a thumb screw.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I've heard that you should use cartos in the 3ohm range when it comes to using a vv mod, has anybody else heard about this or why? I've been looking at all these tanks you guys have mentioned but I don't know what ohm I should get for cartos to use in them.

3ohm is recommended because you can get the full range of voltage that your device offers. Boge cartos are available in 3ohm stainless steel at many places. (I bought mine from ccv) I like smoktech cartos but haven't got any above 1.7ohm in stainless steel. the black stickers are quite hard to remove. I still use the 1.7 cartos in my tanks with my vv devices because that's all I have right now.. I don't run them over 4 or 4.1v. This can't be done with the Lavatube though. I have a voltmeter and have tested mine.. with a 1.7 carto, the LT will drop me down to 3.7.. no matter what I set it to. The LT led readout still says what I set it to but the voltmeter tells the real story of what's going on.

My Provari and my madvapes vv box will run my 1.7ohm cartos are 4.1 and 4.2v.. My Lavatube wont. It works pretty well with 3ohm cartos though.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Ok thanks guys for explaining that, it makes sense. The only thing I don't understand though is why use a VV with a LR carto at all if you can only use it 3.7? That seems a bit backwards to me.

I use a LR carto with my vv devices because I happen to like the way that particular brand performs. Plus with the brand I like to use.. it's hard to find them (higher ohms) in SS for my tanks. (Hate peeling stickers!)

For me it's not about seeing how high I can go, but also the regulated voltage I get. With many 3.7 devices, the voltage continually drops as the batts are depleted. I want to set my device at a certain voltage and have it stay there instead of dropping. I have lots of LR cartos that I bought back before I got the vv devices I own. While I do buy higher ohm cartos, I still want to use what I have. With a carto at 1.7ohm.. I still like to vape it at 4v.. a 3.7 box mod will actually give that high of a voltage when it's fresh off the charger but it doesn't stay there long. I was continually changing my batts for fresh ones when the voltage dropped.

My Lavatube will not run my 1.7 smoktech cartos any higher than 3.7.. no matter what the led readout says, the voltmeter tells the real story.. and that's not good enough for me. My other vv devices will. So if I use my LT, I have to use the higher ohm cartos.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
So just to make sure I got this right, LR cartos will cause my LT to only vape at 3.7 but if I get 3.0 ohms, I will be able to change different volts? I have only used an ego and so I will be just learning about VV. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Here's a little demonstration. This first pic is a resurrector carto (supposed to be 1.7ohms) with the Provari reading the resistance
first reading.jpg

I set my LT to 4.0 (that didn't show up good in a pic) then I put the voltmeter on it and took a reading.
second reading.jpg

Then I put that same carto on the voltmeter that was on the LT and took a reading.
third reading.jpg

with the voltage set to 4v, the LT ran it at 3.87, which isn't that far down from 4v.. with a lower ohm carto it will probably drop further. I don't have a 3ohm carto out right now to take pictures of.

I'm not trying to convince you what to buy or not to buy.. just showing the numbers.

woooozzaa

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
White Wood NB
So just to make sure I got this right, LR cartos will cause my LT to only vape at 3.7 but if I get 3.0 ohms, I will be able to change different volts? I have only used an ego and so I will be just learning about VV. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Low resistance was meant to simulate higher voltage vaping on 3.7v devices, shorter or thinner wire for the coil will get you more heat faster. The LT has a protection circuit built in that will drop the voltage down for you if you are trying to pump to much voltage to a LR atty/cart but its doing so based solely on resistance reading. Problem is it drops it down way more than it safely has to, so LR on VV and the Lavatube particularly is a no no for most folks. And to top it off dual coils, which can take a beating at higher voltages, still reads low in Ω so the LT as no way of knowing and drops it down to an almost unusable amperage. Stick to standard resistances and you'll be fine. It can be confusing for most people coming from 3.7v, as low resistance was the norm. Not sure I'm 100% correct as to how the circuitry works, but this should help you out.

For the record, I use a VPX tank with Boge 3ohms which is beautiful, sturdy and simple to fill on the go. Hope you guys are all vaping fine :vapor:.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
Your screw looks a bit more user friendly than mine, mine is a flat head screwdriver top while yours looks like a thumb screw.

I ordered a box of 100 18-8 stainless screws and they should be here today. If you need a few, just ask. I could put them in an envelope and mail them. N/C, of course.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Love the Vision Stone w/screw caps. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

I just got my Vision Stone Tank today and so far it is working real good. I love the screw on top and no carto or filler to mess with. It is much nicer looking then other tanks I've had with the rubber ends. The stainless screw caps on both ends are nice. If it holds up I will be very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread