Who doesn't clean their atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Broke my first atomizer, somehow I twisted it the wrong way and it came apart, my fault. But now I've got one that came apart nicely and when I get back from our vacation I'm going to examine it a little and learn from it. I used it for 33 days and it was working like a champ. I'm not unhappy, that's for sure!!

MustangDriver36

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Tennessee
Cool thanks for the advice,peeps.I hate it when people tell you to clean your atty and give you instructions that involve a blow torch and rocket fuel,lol.I think with my limited brain capacity I'm just going to leave it over night on a paper towel.Oh and by the way tried the one I thought was dead again this afternoon and it started working so who the hell knows!

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA
I cycle through 8 attys in a day.

At night, I smear toothpaste on them. Then, I make a pot of coffee with an auto drip coffee maker, with the attys in the decanter. This steralizes them, while deep cleaning the tar. Then I put them in the microwave for 20 minutes. This solidifies the toothpaste, which pulls the oils out. Next, I soak them in a glass with cola for two hours. This, um, pulls out the froonium deposits. Another soak in vodka to clean the cola off. Then I dry them in my autoclave. Don't you all have an autoclave? Finish drying each one for 20 minutes with a hair dryer.

I still have one left after 3 days. I get 2 hours sleep per night.

Do not drink the coffee, but the vodka is tasty.

Yes, this was a joke.

SmokinScott

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Acton MA, USA
Thanks Glock :)

If anyone thinks I'm making fun of them, I'm not. I meant no offense. None of my devices are producing anything close to what what they used to, which is what drew me to this thread.

I've been vaping since 4/22, have two mini's, two 801's and a pipe. I didn't do any cleaning until vapor production slowed down. Tried blowing them out, no effect. Draining overnight, no effect. I'm about ready to try the coffeemaker & autoclave.
:cry:

Scott

Last edited:

seanmc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2008
Fairfield California
I never clean mine...tried it once last year on a penstyle...never worked the same. I've been rotating 2 4075's and 1 4072 since Jan...no problems yet, of course I have a couple hundred backups just in case..:D I did have a customer who was burning through them...he purchased a 4072 awhile back, luckily he was local so I met up with him to see how he was using the product. First off...he would top off his carts, then he drip a drop into the atty everytime he topped off. I've done this before...it would flood a little...but it was fixable. Then when I saw him hit it...man...It looked like he trying to suck a bowling ball through a hose. He was drawing way too hard and repeatedly...like 50 hpm (hits per minute)...I gave him the straw and soda spiel...lo and behold...havent heard from him in months.

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
For the record - I have a 510 (which means I have 2 attys) for the past 7 weeks pretty constant use. I rotate them everyday. At night I blow thru it and let it drain till it is used again about 36hrs later. Never cleaned, no probs (now I will be jinxed). I use all sorts of different juices. I would like to add - on occasion I overfill my carts (coffee filters) and will get flooding as in messy liquid and some reduced performance. When this happens I remove the atty-blow it out-reinstall and use a blank cart to suck/vape remaining excess juice from atty (I have a manual switch battery) so that it burns off. It might be similar to what auto cleaning does? Oh, and I never Ever DRIP and have never allowed the atty to go 'dry'.

Last edited:
I have that cheapo health e-cigarette from dealextreme, and the "healthy e-cigar" from the same shop. I have the e-cigarette for two months, and the e-cigar for one month. I cleaned the cigarette attys only once, by the boiling method. I don't leave them draining overnight. I vape only at work (8 hours a day). The e-cigar was never cleaned. On the e-cigar, I use the cartdriges, as they are good and vape quite nice. On the e-cigarettes, I let go the cartdriges, I prefer to drip directly on the atty because it vapes better. Even though these are very very bad quality products no atty has died on me yet.

I'm about to get my Beci 901's and see how they go.

Oh, sorry about my poor English, I'm from Brazil and my native language is Portuguese :)

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
I don't clean the atty, BUT I do change out the stuffing in the cart I am using every other day. I also quit mixing VG or glycerine with my juice. No LorAnns for me either. Clean stuffing and clean juice is the answer for me. Since I started doing this I haven't had any failures. From my DIY days, I've got five or six attys that I will have to try a hard clean on.

Same here, on all points.

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
Cool thanks for the advice,peeps.I hate it when people tell you to clean your atty and give you instructions that involve a blow torch and rocket fuel,lol.I think with my limited brain capacity I'm just going to leave it over night on a paper towel.Oh and by the way tried the one I thought was dead again this afternoon and it started working so who the hell knows!

LOL! If you think about it, these atomizers and regular ecig batteries weren't originally designed as a full smoking substitute -- just for occasional use in places where cigarettes are banned. I think of them as semi-disposables with a limited life span. If others wish to spend time and effort in attempting to prolong their life with a cleaning regimen, more power to them.

DreamVapor

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Bowling Green Ohio
I've "cleaned" my attys once in a 2 months, blowing through, rinsing and running through an ultrasonic cycle then draining. I blow through about once a week and a drain. Have had the same ones since mid April. I thought a couple went bad on me once but it was the battery, not the attys. I think it's all luck and maybe how you draw.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I used to clean my minipipe 801 atomizers religiously, and it was always a bit of a battle keeping them performing well, but lately I've been hitting my 901 a lot more, and never bothering to clean it (I don't even bother cleaning out the cart.) And I seem to get a month or more out of them (at least, I've only had 2 die since April.)

You can't really compare apples and oranges, but I'm happier to just throw away a spent atomizer every month or so than to have to be forever tinkering. I just wish they'd make a minipipe atomizer that was this reliable - they're awesome when they work!

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a new mini coming in the mail (any day now). I'm planning on vaping the mini exclusively just to give me time to clean all of my pen-style attys and charge my batteries (literally). When I think about it (and feel like it), I blow out my atty...I've also ran it under hot water twice but that's about the extent of it.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
I have that cheapo health e-cigarette from dealextreme, and the "healthy e-cigar" from the same shop. I have the e-cigarette for two months, and the e-cigar for one month. I cleaned the cigarette attys only once, by the boiling method. I don't leave them draining overnight. I vape only at work (8 hours a day). The e-cigar was never cleaned. On the e-cigar, I use the cartdriges, as they are good and vape quite nice. On the e-cigarettes, I let go the cartdriges, I prefer to drip directly on the atty because it vapes better. Even though these are very very bad quality products no atty has died on me yet.

I'm about to get my Beci 901's and see how they go.

Oh, sorry about my poor English, I'm from Brazil and my native language is Portuguese :)

Your english is very clear, nice job.

Yes, I too am one of those who never clean or drain. I have not experienced any problems and the attys seem to have a reasonable life, some quite amazingly long.

I always enjoyed the task of smoking, now with vaping the task is quite a bit more. With internet purchasing, stocking up, filling carts, charging batteries, etc..... I just dont need another thing to do and am comfortable in the thought that the attys are disposable.

Vaping is already alot more work in my busy life than cleaning ashtrays. But, well worth the work I must say. Just not worth the cleaning atty work too. =)

DrGabber

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Oswego, New York
Great thread! So it seems most people with 901's or 510's who never clean their atomizers or just let them drain overnight, have not had issues with short lifespans on the atomizers. Several people have reported they have lasted months.

I just got my 510 about a week and a half ago and after reading this thread, i am going to just drain the atomizers occasionally and try not to direct drip or use VG mixes.

wyldaz

Jun 8, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Greetings!
Thanks to all who post and assist me in understanding this o-so-awesome product! I got my 510 on Saturday and started using it (off and on) on Monday at work. It's interesting to note how low or high maintenance it can be, depending on who you are (or so it seems, eh?).
My question is about cartridges, in particular. How long does a cartridge last (not the eliquid - the cart itself)? I also noticed that some "repack" their cartridges?? What's up with that and what would I use, if I felt so inclined to do that?
Thanks again for all your help!
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread