Who doesn't clean their atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugger

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been vaping since beginning of March using a 510 and a 910. I've never cleaned either atty, and I'm still using the original addys that came in the kits. I'd consider myself a fairly heavy vaper, and have even heated the attys too far quite a few times. So far, both attys are producing as much vapor as they always have. When I first started vaping, I would drain the attys at night, but I haven't even bothered to do that for months now.

I drip occasionally, but mostly I just use the cartridge. I've experimented with the flavorings a few times, but mainly top-off using the standard tobacco flavored juices. Other than my juice costs going thru the roof :), my vaping costs have been rock bottom...and I couldn't be happier!

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I bought 4 attys last year and and the only one that failed was the one I dropped.
I added to the collection june 09.

Normally I only clean attys when performance wains.

I normally clean with dist H2O.

I don't drain atty; too lazy.

Disclaimer: If you plan to keep an atty out of rotation I recommend you clean/sterilize/dry it. Don't risk letting lil bugs making shop inside your stored atty.

Last edited:
I've been rotating 2 attys - medium to heavy vaping throughout the day/evening - never cleaned either and never had any issues with failures (knock on wood) except having to blow out excess liquid when over filling.

I use the 'Smoking Everywhere' smaller sized ecigs (so battery life is more my problem) with straw mod carts refilled with Fluval water polishing material. I always leave carts on the attys and store them in the 'draining down' position.

I think by keeping the attys moist and not letting them dry out completely is what seems to be contributing to their longevity. I wouldn't mind buying a new atty every month if saves me the time and effort which would be better spent trying to keep my apartment clean...:p

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
I don't clean them unless there is something seriously wrong with them, clogged or a burnt weird taste. Then if I have to I use vinegar and baking soda and rinse in warm water. I've never had one that was working not work after doing this but atomizers are weird. The less you clean the longer they seem to work.

I've got a dse901 thats been going strong since april. First month it was rotated and used for just mint/or menthol liquids. In June I put it on a passthru cause it seemed to work the best on it. Since then I've been using it constantly and its on a batt mod now, I dont clean it at all don't even drain it. Gets constant use. I'm not gonna use a different atty untill it dies. Curious to see how long its gonna last.

Don't clean them unless you really need to, IMHO it shortens the life of them.

butterbean03

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Central Texas USA
My cleaning method involves steam cleaning once a week. These things are like autos, you have to maintain them to keep them going. I bought a $20. steam cleaner from Amazon. I have the 901, 401 and just got the 510. I do have at least 4 of each, so the rotation helps. But a couple of shots of steam once a week has kept the 901's and 401's attys going since March. Maybe lucky, maybe it really works. But have not ordered anymore attys since then. I will tell you the paint was coming off of the 901's from getting beat up in my case, so I just got some scotchbrite pads and sanded them down from black to aluminum and they look like new. Hope this helps.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Although I did bath 1 atty that was a weak one, I generally do not do any major cleaning. However, I do drain regularly (not quite every night, but every 1 or 2). In addition to this, I occasionally put a couple of drips of vodka in the atty before I leave them to drain in order to dilute the juice gunked up in there.

Seems to be working very well for me. (Other than a newbie mistake, I've only lost 1 atty in nearly almost months)

MarthaT

Moved On
Jul 23, 2009
  • Deleted by AngusATAT
  • Reason: spam

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I got a Joye501 about 4 weeks ago. I'm still on my 1st atty and it's going strong. As a matter of fact I would say that, if anything, it is getting stronger and better with age(like a good seasoned cast iron skillet). I have 3 atty's (still with their original factory primer) in storage just in case. The only "cleaing" I do is a gentle blowing(with my mouth) on the battery end every week or so, when it starts to get harder to suck in a hit. This forces out any excess liquid, and then I gently wipe the inside with a q-tip(being careful not to hit the bridge). I have read many posts where people regularly use a variety of "solvents"(i.e. rubbing alcohol, grain alcohol, cola, peroxide, water etc...) and they seem to work to a degree. I would only ever do this if the atty appeared to go dead. It seems the people who post that they clean regularly with solvents are the same people who say they go through atty's like most people go through socks. I remember reading the "general maintenance" post from Joyetech on the 510 thread, and I think it said you should only use solvents if the atty appears to have major functioning problems. As I said I always keep a few spares around just in case.

catlvr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Kern County California
I've had my Joye510 for about two months now and I've been using the same atty with no problems. I just blow it out once in awhile and gently wipe out the inside with q-tip. When I first got my kit, the first atty had some of those wick hairs(whatever) hanging out after a few uses and I pulled them out, never worked again with my carts, but I use it for dripping once in awhile, works great for that still. The one I'm still using with my carts wick started comming out again, this time I just carefully pushed them back under the bridge and have had no problems since.:):nun:

skullsoup432

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
Michigan USA
I was careful with my first atomizer (510). I drained it nightly, cleaned it once, then it died after only 15 total days of use.
I have been using the same Janty atomizer for 9 weeks this Saturday, always the same one. It is still kicking strong, even after going through a complete cycle in the washer. Hell, it took some finessing, but the battery still works, too. I do nothing to the atomizer, no preventative maintenance, I just vape.
After reading posts about caring for atomizers, including; cleaning, draining, rotating, praying for, talking to, giving it a BJ (both of you need to smoke afterwards) I figured to hell with it, just vape.

Just like humans, sometimes they just pass on prematurely. Others just refuse to check out. Go figure.

WOW.

I had forgot this thread and need to update. I am STILL using this Janty atomizer. I have not rotated with another, it is the same atomizer. I will admit that I went back to analogs (still vaped, not as heavily) for a few weeks, yet still vaped a milliliter a day.

The copper color has worn off the atomizer, yet you can still read JANTY on it. I only ordered 1 atomizer from Janty, that was when all the uproar over the defective auto batteries/slow shipping/Jeff overwhelmed at Janty USA occurred in the spring.
Wait, I looked on my calander and I receiveed this atomizer on 3-28-09.
I was ...... it took a month to get 1 atomizer and vowed not to order from Janty again. Huh, with this kind of mileage maybe I should reconsider.

On a side note, I once again accidentally threw this atomizer and a battery in the washer (didn't go through a cycle, just a good soak). This time it killed the battery, but I dried the atomizer with a hair dryer, let it sit a few hours, primed it, and it has been cookin' juice just like new.

aidenunder

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
florida - palm harbor
I don't clean them unless there is something seriously wrong with them, clogged or a burnt weird taste. Then if I have to I use vinegar and baking soda and rinse in warm water. I've never had one that was working not work after doing this but atomizers are weird. The less you clean the longer they seem to work.

I've got a dse901 thats been going strong since april. First month it was rotated and used for just mint/or menthol liquids. In June I put it on a passthru cause it seemed to work the best on it. Since then I've been using it constantly and its on a batt mod now, I dont clean it at all don't even drain it. Gets constant use. I'm not gonna use a different atty untill it dies. Curious to see how long its gonna last.

Don't clean them unless you really need to, IMHO it shortens the life of them.
same thing for me exactly

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Maybe I'm weird but I whenever I clean the atty on my 510 with any solution it dies or tastes horrible. Sometimes I do blow them out with compressed air.

By chance your compressed air doesn't list on the front that it contains a bitterant does it? I nearly used this can on my atomizers before I read the entire can and decided against it.

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS23350&history=ujeqdchv|prodPage~15^freeText~gas+duster^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

The yellow label says "Contains a bitterant to help discourage inhalant abuse." I am not sure how many other compressed air has this, but it may pose a problem with flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread