Why are the most of the people who vape are a bit overweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
9 out of 10 people who I know they vape are overweight or at least have a little bit more of a bigger body, including me.
My guess is that you had "a little bit more of a bigger body" before you started vaping. Stop looking for things to blame your weight on. You know why you have a little bit more of a bigger body and it ain't vape. That said, if you were a former smoker, your appetite may have changed along with some other possible changes. Still got nothing to do with vape, nor do I notice the 9 out 10 observation you note. Want to blame something, blame selective eyesight and denial. Not vape.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Now that I have vaped for a while, I do enjoy watching the smoking areas, and seeing how people look. All those beautiful grapes, slowly turning into raisins.

I hate raisins.

I sort of lost a lot of wrinkles when I quit smoking. So maybe it's that. Maybe many smokers ARE thinner than vapers but maybe it's not slender or beautiful thing.

In my youth, I like, totally hung out in the smoker's corral with this lady dying of COPD. She said she had gained like 150 lbs since her diagnosis. (Maybe it was the steroids, IDK.) I asked her what she was gonna do, and she said, "Smoke until I die. That's my best option."

Hmm maybe this can spark some interesting discussion after all: Those who have vaped a while, what do (all sized) smokers look like to you?

What do you look like to you?

Anna

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Smoking inhibits hunger...vaping doesn't.
That's not my experience at all.

Correction: I don't think vaping actually inhibits hunger. But it does give me something to do with my hands and my mouth and so takes the place of eating for entertainment.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
the same as everyone else :?:

unkempt, maybe that is the vaping?

I blamed my new found "kemptness" on vaping, there had to be some reason for becoming kempt and why not blame it on vaping, it seems a current trend during the "epidemic".

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
In fact 75% of vapers are thin, 25% are overweight. That's less overweight people than the population in general.

I know this because only one of the vapers I know is overweight.

Mind you I went to a yard sale this morning and saw a guy vaping, and he was a bit chubby. If I count him that means only 60% of vapers are thin.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
CMD, I don't know what you are taking today, but whatever it is, for the love of god keep taking it.

Anna

Every now and then, oxygen actually gets to my otherwise solidified seventy-four year old cerebellum - I try not to waste those precious moments.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So, just asking. 9 out of 10 people who I know they vape are overweight or at least have a little bit more of a bigger body, including me. However, smokers I know are much more slim, and don't have weight issues. All of them that I know, according to my observations. Why can this be? Is it because vapers are usually a bit more geeky? Does it actually directly or indirectly affect the BMI? Is it just my environment? What do you think?

This takes a general local anecdotal observation (which appears to be not universal) and tries to treat it as a statistic.

Is it worth a scientific study? Possibly. Are vapers more overweight than smokers when normalized for age, location, etc...? Maybe. You never know till you look.

One could make all sorts of suppositions:
A lot of people start vaping because they are having smoking related health problems and older, more overweight people tend to have more health problems. A lot of people also start vaping because they can’t quit smoking any other way. There could be some sort of correlation there too.

Are there vastly more important vaping issues that need to have real (vs fake) science used on them? Oh heck yes!

I’ll probably be dead long before science even gets to this one, if BT doesn’t manage to squash vaping completely in the meantime.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Clearly the OP got his Master's Degree from Coalburn Charm School, where the motto was "Don't hang back, tell us what you really think."

This aged one, looking at 70 next April has indeed put on a few pounds these last few years, largely because he got arthritis in his spine hips and knees, possibly caused by a lifetime of long distance walking, hill walking and cycling 250 miles a week so I reckon I've earned the right to those pounds.

Assuming the OP doesn't get assasinated for his/her lack of tact/ chronic foot in mouth disease or die of terminal gum bumping, it'll be interesting to see how kind or otherwise the ageing process is to him or her!

Vape on gang!

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
So, just asking. 9 out of 10 people who I know they vape are overweight or at least have a little bit more of a bigger body, including me. However, smokers I know are much more slim, and don't have weight issues. All of them that I know, according to my observations. Why can this be? Is it because vapers are usually a bit more geeky? Does it actually directly or indirectly affect the BMI? Is it just my environment? What do you think?
HEY!! Did you call me FAT? Serious? But be aware my weight is 100kg, which makes me... Er... FAT! [emoji22][emoji24]

• Love
Reactions: TheRapidPro

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Clearly the OP got his Master's Degree from Coalburn Charm School, where the motto was "Don't hang back, tell us what you really think."

This aged one, looking at 70 next April has indeed put on a few pounds these last few years, largely because he got arthritis in his spine hips and knees, possibly caused by a lifetime of long distance walking, hill walking and cycling 250 miles a week so I reckon I've earned the right to those pounds.

Assuming the OP doesn't get assasinated for his/her lack of tact/ chronic foot in mouth disease or die of terminal gum bumping, it'll be interesting to see how kind or otherwise the ageing process is to him or her!

Vape on gang!
Gee

Wonder why ECF has got quieter in recent years.

S/he had a question. There are worse ones. It's as good a reason as any to sign up.
Doubt they'll be back now.

Sorry to single out your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread