Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    If anything the trend has already swung back, with the Juul and many similar devices using nic salts. Convenience stores appear to carry a better selection of small non-cigalike devices than they used to. Some of the older devices are no longer produced, of course.

Atomizers with high capacity are very clean running compared to old school devices. Avail was taken to court for selling EVOD/Protank devices (low power) due to their high rate of aldehyde production. I don't know if that was in normal use but wouldn't be surprised, and other tests have shown the nasty chemicals output are worse by percent for them, even if it is tolerable. I liked them, but didn't completely switch until I also had something a little higher output (and a diff. set of juices for it).

As well as the wide variety of pod systems, the respected Aspire nautilus line of tanks has been expanded on, as well as the original still being sold. I did have to go back to the shop I bought mine at for new coils, but they plan on carrying them for a long time and they still sell.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015
    I agree with @Tabac man about something, because for anyone walking into a vape shop today, with so many choices now it really is overwhelming for someone new. Plus, just a thing about economics, but the more successful a line of business becomes, the more we tend to see pop-up businesses that don't know much about what they are selling, or who are slime weasels, just hoping to jump on a popular trend and make a quick buck. No conspiracy reasoning needed, it's just trend following because there is some potential profit to be had.

Shorter version is yea, the more popular vaping becomes, the poorer advice some will get. But to be fair, even back when I started on Green Smokes, and they were advertising that their products are just like smoking, hey, well that was BS. Likewise I was overwhelmed at first and bought from VaporFi (formerly VaporZone), which turned out to be mostly over priced slight modified versions of the same gear I could buy from any other store (like really minor changes, changing the o-rings to a green color, same tank, including a lot of gear from SMOK, different name, 2x the price). Hey, I didn't know then what I know now ;) All I knew was it all seemed very mystical, and that one company name popped up more than others (thanks to good marketing!), I would rather buy from a reputable company thinking. At that time I didn't even know there were was much better tasting e-juice available until I bought from a street vendor in Vegas who recommended something that really was tasty (hangs head in shame, lol).

So yea, I don't entirely blaim the OP for not understanding what he was getting into with his less than ideal purchase. Been there myself.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    If anything the trend has already swung back, with the Juul and many similar devices using nic salts. Convenience stores appear to carry a better selection of small non-cigalike devices than they used to. Some of the older devices are no longer produced, of course.

Atomizers with high capacity are very clean running compared to old school devices. Avail was taken to court for selling EVOD/Protank devices (low power) due to their high rate of aldehyde production. I don't know if that was in normal use but wouldn't be surprised, and other tests have shown the nasty chemicals output are worse by percent for them, even if it is tolerable. I liked them, but didn't completely switch until I also had something a little higher output (and a diff. set of juices for it).

As well as the wide variety of pod systems, the respected Aspire Nautilus line of tanks has been expanded on, as well as the original still being sold. I did have to go back to the shop I bought mine at for new coils, but they plan on carrying them for a long time and they still sell.

I strongly agree. The last 2 years has seen a booming pod mod market for lower power mtl use which are improvements over many of the older clearo styles with less overheating of the juice and better flavor. You can't turn around without running into a new pod. Same with tanks. The Zenith line too the drop in mtl tank world by storm, and forced Aspire to up their game on their Nautilus line. There are also many more mtl rdas and RTAs out there, swinging away from the DL only churn out we used to see.

At many of the shops around me., Smok remains popular as their "higher end" ( I know that's an oxymoron) line and a ton of pod mods which they sell to almost all the new to vaping crowd that walks in. There's room for all styles in the marketplace and I'm happy for that. Why be pigeon holed into a single style.

As to colors, well, that's good too. Why not offer design options for different users. I have a hot pink Zenith CF mini I occasionally use and got me liking Zenith coils (OK it was won in a giveaway not purchased in that color). Granted my daughter gave me one weird look when I first pulled it out, but nodded in sympathetic understanding that it was won and no complaining was justified.

I offered to give it to her to match a pink Glock but she declined as the pinks weren't the same and would clash. Reminded me of having to paint her room 3 times when she was 7 until I finally got a good Barbie pink she could live with.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015
    I think it's fine that there is a trend toward vaping that involves smaller clouds, MTL devices, if it means vaping becomes more popular, smoking less so. Colors too if it draws a larger percentage of people who will try vaping over the S word. I am of the 'whatever works' mindset, and vaping can really work to give up the death sticks.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I think it's fine that there is a trend toward vaping that involves smaller clouds, MTL devices, if it means vaping becomes more popular, smoking less so. Colors too if it draws a larger percentage of people who will try vaping over the S word. I am of the 'whatever works' mindset, and vaping can really work to give up the death sticks.

Not that I don’t have black or gunmetal in my collection, but I do love bright, Wild colors. Function first, of course, so if my eye is drawn to a shiny thing I do think over if it’ll be the proper gear for me.

Bright colors have a function too though. I mentioned on another thread that I have never misplaced my emerald green Colossal. There is no deep corner in any bag or pocket dark enough to obscure a color like that.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I started vaping in 2010 with a Joye eGo and a Joye 510, so MTL was the only option. All I ever wanted to do was recreate the sensation of smoking without the tobacco smoke and all the dangerous chemicals and carcinogens.

Back then, there were few options. It was mostly 510 and 808 cig-a-likes. 10 years later I have a box full of various mods and atomizers that cover everything from cig-a-likes to cloud machines up to 200W, but still vape them all at 8 to 15 watts in MTL mode because that's my comfort zone. If an atty won't vape at 10W it sits in the box.

Lots of vapers like DTL and I understand that more juice atomized equals more flavor and vapor. I'm still happy with something that recreates the act of smoking a cigarette.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I wanna know cus I missed the E-cig News on the topic. Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change? - Don't you think it's Overkill to crank up the watts needlessly? .. and now these garbage ecigs that seek to choke you are all you can find..

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.
    You should watch a review on the new Smok TFV16! :D

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    It's all good. I mean it's not all good for ME, but most vapes are good (except maybe Smok and Ijoy I am talking to you.)

However, the OP's product is a joytech product so like, if he HATES it that much, he can send it my way, and I will video myself breaking it in approximately two hours if he likes.

It won't be hard. I still maintain he just needs a different tank.

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Vaping is pretty much like anything else, in time people just want bigger, more of, faster, smarter, more customizable, etc. People like more options in everything, they like the latest and greatest and in some of cases we just buy because it's what others have . People buy android phones and computers because it's the latest and greatest model and for most it's way more then what they will ever use or need, so vaping is no different. If you have a choice between a 300 watt device or a 20 watt device for the same price, most are going to purchase ther latter, it's just human nature for the most part. Most times those options are needed for success, sometimes it's just a keeping up with the Jones's thing, but in the end its probably better because there are so many different types of people and needs.....sometimes though, I feel things are put in front of us just to see how gluttonous we are and how easily and dependantly we will follow. As it taking the OP's options away, that's ridiculous because I can buy there type devices easily

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    People buy android phones and computers because it's the latest and greatest model and for most it's way more then what they will ever use or need, so vaping is no different. ...
    Gee, I'm still running a 2013 moto g, purchased in 2014 on sale because it was 'outdated' ... most of my mods don't do wattage either (the ones that do are good for checking coil resistance though).

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    I needed something that would give me the experiance of a strong cigar. Not everyone smoked "lights".

But us cigar smokers don't need a high powered mod with lots of bells and whistles. A good 30A battery and a metal tube with a 0.15ohm SS316L coil get the job done nicely, and has that cigar feel too.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    I wanna know cus I missed the E-cig News on the topic. Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change? - Don't you think it's Overkill to crank up the watts needlessly? .. and now these garbage ecigs that seek to choke you are all you can find..

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.

I completely thought the same thing about this time a year ago. I tried vaping in 2009 because I thought it was a nifty idea. Smoking had just been banned in restaraunts in my state so I would vape a cig-a-like. But they were horrible back then so I stopped.

Mid 2018 I decided it was time to try it again. It was like living the scene in Shawshank Redemption where the guy went to jail when American cities had horse n buggy in a sleepy town atmosphere and got out getting out after things became crowded city full of cars. Oh my.

Dual coil 18650's in a box the size of an electric pencil sharpener with a fish bowl tank on top that had what looked like a garden hose for a vape port. And a fire button? What's that all about?

Travelling vape shop to vape shop I saw head shops disguised as tobacco stores, or tobacco stores that sold now very expensive disposable even junkier cig-a-likes. Row after row of giant boxes, some with speakers and clocks. And sketchy batteries? You betcha. No wonder these things explode I thought.

I joined CPF and learned that vaping had an entire language. Drip tip? That don't sound leak free to me. But I learned enough of the lingo to tell the kid with frisbees in his ear lobes to tell the tat covered girl whose face looked like it survived the blast of shot gun shell loaded with items from a charm bracelet that I do not want sub-ohm, I do not want to look like I'm on fire everytime as I exhale, I do not want cotton candy bubble gum e-juice nor do I want to build my own atomizer kit.

I want a nice tastey drag from a device that mimics a cigarette. I'd hear "why not?" or "awe man we don't carry those".

Meanwhile the Juul was becoming the newest scurge to harm the children according to so-called conventional wisdom by germ-phobic helicopter parents and politicians whoring for votes.

Ugh!!! Bring back the old days… please? Nope, vaping had become big business and juice guzzlers mean big volume sales of the profitable e-juice. I found in time there were some of us left. Innokin hired a couple of old school vapers to market their old school esque devices like Zenith tanks and Kroma boxes. They sold millions.

Meanwhile the new phenomenon was begining to gain traction. Pods. There are literally hundreds of types and the number grows every 30 minutes. Even the companies who were all in on devices that can jump start a riding lawn mower are making what they call pods. Available between super simple pens the size of a double a battery to Juul looking numbers with temperature control, to read out screens and replaceable coil packs. Flashdrives and zippo lighter styles.

Gone is the sketchy auto draw and cartridges that pop. Joyetech has brought back the inkpen sized e-rolle too. Hang in there John II. Things are coming back around, only better technology is involved.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    SMOK SLM Pod Device

2 cartos and a pen battery for 4$

Not terrible for $4 as you'll likely never find Smok making any more pods for it. Smok isn't exactly known for keeping those consumables always available. But at essentially $2 a pod then toss the whole thing it's not an utter ripoff. At the original $28.99 (if it ever even sold for that) then it would be more of a ripoff for a little pen and small pod that knowing Smok probably was only good for a few days.

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    c4a.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread