Will I become an outlaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all about the money ... 12.86 billion tobacco tax in 2018. Our only chance for survival is to become replacement contributors to the tax money pile. I'm surprised that we aren't already taxed.

U.S. - tobacco tax revenue and forecast 2024 | Statista
  1. U.S. - tobacco tax revenue and forecast 2024 | Statista
    https://www.statista.com/.../248964/revenues-from-tobacco-tax-and-forecast-in-the-us
    In 2018, revenues from tobacco tax amounted to 12.86 billion U.S. dollars. The forecast predicts a decrease in tobacco tax revenues down to 12.69 billion U.S. dollars in 2024.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's all about the money ... 12.86 billion tobacco tax in 2018. Our only chance for survival is to become replacement contributors to the tax money pile. I'm surprised that we aren't already taxed.

U.S. - tobacco tax revenue and forecast 2024 | Statista
  1. U.S. - tobacco tax revenue and forecast 2024 | Statista
    https://www.statista.com/.../248964/revenues-from-tobacco-tax-and-forecast-in-the-us
    In 2018, revenues from tobacco tax amounted to 12.86 billion U.S. dollars. The forecast predicts a decrease in tobacco tax revenues down to 12.69 billion U.S. dollars in 2024.

To efficiently Tax something like e-Cigarettes, don't you have to Regulate them First?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
To efficiently Tax something like e-Cigarettes, don't you have to Regulate them First?

I guess so. Couldn't they just place a point of sale sin tax on vaping? A tax on nicotine products would suffice.

It's all about protecting revenue. They don't like us because we don't fit the tobacco tax model. I''m sure they'll figure out a way eventually. Once you contribute to the cause, you become their friend as money fills the coffers.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A tax on nicotine products would suffice.
Indeed. $0.10 per milligram of nicotine would get them something close to what they used to get from me in cig taxes.

The average vaper goes through something like 50 mg of nic per day; so it wouldn't really matter whether he's consuming large quantities of low-nic juice in a cloudz-bro rig or puffing through a single Juul cartridge a day, he'd still be paying something close to $5.00 a day in tax.

The place where this starts to cause problems is when you consider that the tax would be $10,000 on a liter of 100 mg nic base, which is really only 100 ml of actual nicotine. Being able to avoid $10k in taxes by bringing in something that fits in your pocket (100 ml of pure nic) would create a powerful incentive to source un-taxed nicotine somewhere.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
IMG_1191.jpg
I'd rather be a pirate guarding my vape booty :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Indeed. $0.10 per milligram of nicotine would get them something close to what they used to get from me in cig taxes.

The average vaper goes through something like 50 mg of nic per day; so it wouldn't really matter whether he's consuming large quantities of low-nic juice in a cloudz-bro rig or puffing through a single Juul cartridge a day, he'd still be paying something close to $5.00 a day in tax.

The place where this starts to cause problems is when you consider that the tax would be $10,000 on a liter of 100 mg nic base, which is really only 100 ml of actual nicotine. Being able to avoid $10k in taxes by bringing in something that fits in your pocket (100 ml of pure nic) would create a powerful incentive to source un-taxed nicotine somewhere.

I was thinking about something around 5% to 10% of the cost of a bottle of nic. At present cost that would be something like $2.25 to $4.50 on a liter of 100mg/ml. For premixed juice, that would get complicated in a hurry with all the sizes and nic content of various sizes.

We may be stirring a pot that should never boil.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was thinking about something around 5% to 10% of the cost of a bottle of nic.
Yeah, but that would not come anywhere close to "protecting revenue".

Let's say I was still buying commercial juice, and that a 30 ml bottle cost $15.00. At 10% they'd get $1.50 a week from me. If I were still smoking 2 PAD, they would be getting $36.00 a week from me (just the state) plus another $14.00 (the feds).

As a DIYer, a liter of 100 mg nic base costs $100 (generous). Taxed at 10%, they would get $2.50 / year from me in taxes.

So your proposal simply does not accomplish your stated objective. ;)

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I guess so. Couldn't they just place a point of sale sin tax on vaping? A tax on nicotine products would suffice.

It's all about protecting revenue. They don't like us because we don't fit the tobacco tax model. I''m sure they'll figure out a way eventually. Once you contribute to the cause, you become their friend as money fills the coffers.
"I'm not the kind of person to say atodaso, but you know what? Atodaso!"

TPD2 in general and Article 20 in particular. (LINK)

IMO, The FDA and it's testing ground, the WHO, have already arrived at a solution.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This thread is getting complicated and I'm super stressed and really just need to go to Sierra Vista and return NOT stressed (long story but I wish they would just tax the damn stuff. It would be a lot easier to cope with than the lunacy we have going on now.

I always know how to find the best bargains but I also am willing to pay a tax.

Like, I would be fine with um, paying a tax I think the unregulated market from China is a problem for that.

I honestly mostly have been buying from US vendors lately. I get bits and bobs from FT, but ATM USA is where it is at, for me.

Anna

Reactions: DPLongo22

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
This thread is getting complicated and I'm super stressed and really just need to go to Sierra Vista and return NOT stressed (long story but I wish they would just tax the damn stuff. It would be a lot easier to cope with than the lunacy we have going on now.

I always know how to find the best bargains but I also am willing to pay a tax.

Like, I would be fine with um, paying a tax I think the unregulated market from China is a problem for that.

I honestly mostly have been buying from US vendors lately. I get bits and bobs from FT, but ATM USA is where it is at, for me.
Dang it, Anna, Taxation is Theft! ;)

I do not think the "unregulated market from China", which is primarily for hardware, is where the problem with taxation lies. Hardware is not where the money is. The money is in consumables; in other words the nic base, the juice, and the pre-filled pods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread