Will I ever find cigarettes unappealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
I went back to smoking for a day about three weeks ago and what keeps me from not wanting to smoke is the nasty taste that I had in the back of my throat a while after smoking a couple. The smell on the clothes of a guy that I work with helps me stay off of the cigs too. I still like the smell of good fresh burning tobacco though.

I quit smoking for about six months a couple of years back and the smell or taste never got gross to me, which I found to be odd.

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
Telsie, if I may, let me just share this; addiction is my line of work.. and aside from all the 'science' and there is a great deal - MAOI's, other additives, different nicotine absorption rates, etc.- addiction exists on a continumm of early stage to late stage and everyone is at a different place on their own personal continumm and relative to their own personal factors (health, age, genetic predisposition, other addictions, psychological make-up etc.) So while on the one hand we all share similar experiences in switching to vaping, we each have our own personal experiences which are equally as valid. So some switch and almost immediately experience a profound change and find traditional smoking disgusting, some this takes much more time, some still crave cigarette smoking and some still do smoke cigarettes to some extent. All experiences are valid and part of the overall addictive process. This alternative to smoking (e-cigs) is new and we are truly the pioneers, posting and recording our individual experiences. There truly is no documented history of "others' experiences" for us to compare with to validate our journeys - we here on the Forum are doing that for each other. Thanks for posting!

Elapid

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Mississippi
I tried a cigarette when I was 3 months is to vaping only. When I did I couldn't tolerate more than three puffs and franticly went for my PV. If you want to try a cigarette that bad go ahead and light up. You will probably find out that it wasn't what you expected anyway. Just because you try a cigarette I don't think it will intensify any craving for another. More than likely it will reinforce the reason you started vaping to begin with.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
I have not had analog for a long time (since I started vaping), but I still enjoy the smell of smoke. However, I am glad that vaping doesn't have the smell.

I never hated cigarettes. I started vaping mainly to protest the government profiteering from people's addictions. Need more tax revenue? Squeeze the addicts! Easy. Vaping gave me a way to say "no".

I also like smokers as people, actually prefer the company of smokers to non-smokers a great deal. Without vaping I would have no chance to resist the temptation to light up.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Next month I'll be three years off cigarettes. More than two years now on e-cigs. And, yes, I want a cigarette every day, almost every hour, despite non-stop vaping, snus, dissolvables and a twice-daily pipe.

19 days of vaping? That's laughable. Come back in a year and tell us how you're not missing anything. If you read that thread, you'll come to realize the "something missing" takes time to realize -- after your rosy glow about vaping has diminished to hard reality.

For some of us -- myself most definitely included -- a cigarette will always be desirable. The smoke of burning tobacco will always smell good.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Next month I'll be three years off cigarettes. More than two years now on e-cigs. And, yes, I want a cigarette every day, almost every hour, despite non-stop vaping, snus, dissolvables and a twice-daily pipe.

19 days of vaping? That's laughable. Come back in a year and tell us how you're not missing anything. If you read that thread, you'll come to realize the "something missing" takes time to realize -- after your rosy glow about vaping has diminished to hard reality.

For some of us -- myself most definitely included -- a cigarette will always be desirable. The smoke of burning tobacco will always smell good.

Well, I will admit the memory of the enjoyment still bounces around in the cerebrum. That "something missing" is probably what sent me back to smoking after my several attempts at quitting, and what keeps an e-cig close to my side.

I disagree with the smell. I've got to the point I can't handle it, and I can smell smoke on a person SEVERAL feet away.

nicnac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles

I have been smoking analogs for 39 years (over a pack a day) and had not gone through a day without smoking. So to me going through 20 days and not craving an analog is a huge psychological step.
Did you have the analog craving all along during the 2 years of vaping or is it something that has been hunting you lately?

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
By using e-cigs ONLY we have not had or wanted a single cigarette for one year! Yep, one year, and we're not missing a thing. The smoke of burning tobacco almost sickens me now.
Unlike some who say you will always want a cigarette, no matter how long you vape, I'm telling you my wife and I have not wanted a cigarette since our very first day vaping. I smoked for 45 years and was at 2-3 packs a day and she had smoked for 30 years and was at one pack a day.
I understand different people are addicted to cigarettes at different levels and in varying degrees but to say "You will always want a cigarette" is flat out not true.

nicnac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
cliff5550,
What strength of nic did you start with and what strength are you using now?
The reason I'm asking this is because I am using 24mg strength and I find it very satisfying but I do get a slight headaches every now and then when I do constant vaping and I'm wondering if the headaches are the result of too much nic in the system?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think that quitting cold turkey for some of us is too abrupt. I did that years ago on a bet and never really wanted to quit, I just did knowing that I needed to. I never lost the desire for one when I smelled the first whiff of someone's tobacco and finally started back after 2 1/2 years of quitting.

Now, with the Ecig, I have just let the Ecig take the place of analogs as my desire wanes. I cut from 40 a day to 10 the first week and after that first week I found myself smoking 5 a day. Since it is not an abrupt change the pressure is not there. When I find myself thinking about an analog I vape a few puffs and it goes away. When I do smoke an analog after a meal, I find it lacking in taste and with thin smoke.

I find myself comparing my Ecig to an analog and the Ecig always wins. The few analogs I smoke reinforce the fact that analogs are terrible. Time will convince me that I don't need them anymore. There may be a time when I want to quit vaping, but I won't give away my stash. It will be there just in case I lose my willpower and need to keep myself from buying analogs.

lushaboom_ragdoll

Jun 29, 2010
alabama us
i quit smoking for 9 months with both my kids and started right back to smoking right after they were born i quit for 5 years at one time but had a stressful period and picked up a cig and started right back up i have failed numerous times on quitting .even when i smoked i hated the smell . i am hoping by going to e cigs that when the normal urge to smoke hits expecially when stressed i can just smoke on my ecig and it will be satisfying .

proudlion

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Winter Haven, FL
Smoked analogs for 40 years - 1 plus packs each day. Started vaping on April 1st and maybe smoked 3 Kool 100s during week one but I haven't looked back since.

Have a housemate that still smokes a pack a day and I am never tempted. I'm aware of the slightest hint of burning tobacco and I do not like it. The flavor of vaping is so much more desirable that the thought of smoking an analog almost nauseates me. Even the smell outside of some businesses, where people congregate to smoke, has become undesirable - never even noticed it before!

I'm careful not to judge those who remain hooked as I could never have imagined that I would be a non-smoker.

Haping vaping all! :toast:

jamesam1243

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2010
Midland Michigan
Yeah, though I still love the smell of fresh smoke, I don't find stale smoke appealing at all. I used to hate it when I could smell it on myself or when I'd come home, open my front door and smell it. Since quitting, it's been very nice to not have any of that anymore.

just a sarcastic old hillbilly's opinion ,,, and i even smoked corn silk as a kid

the tobacco plants have had millions of years to perfect an assault type type of defense by permanently corrupting the brains of it's enemies making them eat their poison until they die and thus terminating the enemies capability to reproduce a new generation of enemies, they have hooked you right through the brain. tobacco plants may be idiots but they have become very good at it! :evil:

but burning the leaves to breathe the smoke and causing cancer is a result of man's stupidity and proclivity to get "high", not the tobacco plant's aggression

BTW most insects now avoid tobacco plants but man has not learned that yet because the kill rate has against humans has not been high enough

Last edited:

fair dinkum

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Australia
Everyone is different and has had different experiences when giving up smoking. I gave up smoking 9 months ago and I haven't looked back.
I have also gone from 28mg nic strength to .81mg nic strength. I don't get any throat hit or any kick from the nicotene but I still enjoy having a vape now and then.

The smell of cigarette smoke does bother me now. It never used to but it has in the last few months, to the point where I will actively avoid it.
However I don't have a problem with smokers per se, as I was one myself for 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread