Wire safe duration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Hi, despite all the info on the internet these days, I ve been unable to find an answer to what is the life use of a wire on a rta coil (not the cotton or liquids) before it gets exhausted and become a bad element to health, maybe to the point of releasing metal particles that could go into the lungs... I know this is highly relative and depends on what kind of wire, liquids and vaping frecuency, but if I give you a straight case, maybe I ll make a good relation between other materials and their durability. It happened that during 2020, with the pandemic on full first impact, importations were very slow and in some cases, closed for long periods of time, I was trying to get some imported wires but I didn't have enough luck to find those I needed, just very thin wire for mtl equipment, which I didn't have. All was sold out from vaping websites... I ve managed to get a Zeus X rta and with it, the included premade coils (I think these are Nichrome)... Thing is, I used the same (and only) metal coil for almost 6 months, obviously replacing the cotton when needed (I had all the other materials, bags of cotton Bacon, tools, fresh liquids, etc), the liquid I ve been using is Don Juan sweet tobbaco and reserve, from King Crest. In those six moths I didn't vape all days or weeks, since finding or importing liquids were also a problem, so confinement and the lack of products, push me to smoke again, sadly, but I didn't give up and I start to build again the coil meanwhile the purchases arrive from other countries. The metal coil doesn't seems to be exhaust in plain view, it gets datk or black, as normally should be after several days of use and when tasting a bit burnt, but once I clean up with a brush, water and some short dry burning when building again, it gets back its grey metal color, not the same shine as a new one, but close. My vaping frequency was sometimes in chain, due to anxiety, but not all day or days and I was careful to rebuilt often. Mods are one Aegis X and one Smok P3, wattage I use is between 40 and 60 because even if the coils can be auto detected and suggestion is 75w, this is always overrated and burning taste triggers in 3 days. Only thing I did notice was sort of a metal taste for a period of time, that after went away and never got back. If someone wants to drop an answer, be welcome please, thank you all...

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi, despite all the info on the internet these days, I ve been unable to find an answer to what is the life use of a wire on a rta coil (not the cotton or liquids) before it gets exhausted and become a bad element to health, maybe to the point of releasing metal particles that could go into the lungs... I know this is highly relative and depends on what kind of wire, liquids and vaping frecuency, but if I give you a straight case, maybe I ll make a good relation between other materials and their durability. It happened that during 2020, with the pandemic on full first impact, importations were very slow and in some cases, closed for long periods of time, I was trying to get some imported wires but I didn't have enough luck to find those I needed, just very thin wire for mtl equipment, which I didn't have. All was sold out from vaping websites... I ve managed to get a Zeus X rta and with it, the included premade coils (I think these are Nichrome)... Thing is, I used the same (and only) metal coil for almost 6 months, obviously replacing the cotton when needed (I had all the other materials, bags of cotton Bacon, tools, fresh liquids, etc), the liquid I ve been using is Don Juan sweet tobbaco and reserve, from King Crest. In those six moths I didn't vape all days or weeks, since finding or importing liquids were also a problem, so confinement and the lack of products, push me to smoke again, sadly, but I didn't give up and I start to build again the coil meanwhile the purchases arrive from other countries. The metal coil doesn't seems to be exhaust in plain view, it gets datk or black, as normally should be after several days of use and when tasting a bit burnt, but once I clean up with a brush, water and some short dry burning when building again, it gets back its grey metal color, not the same shine as a new one, but close. My vaping frequency was sometimes in chain, due to anxiety, but not all day or days and I was careful to rebuilt often. Mods are one Aegis X and one Smok P3, wattage I use is between 40 and 60 because even if the coils can be auto detected and suggestion is 75w, this is always overrated and burning taste triggers in 3 days. Only thing I did notice was sort of a metal taste for a period of time, that after went away and never got back. If someone wants to drop an answer, be welcome please, thank you all...
Good complex coils can last for months and even years with proper care. I wouldn't worry about it but the information is out there if you look for it.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
Good complex coils can last for months and even years with proper care. I wouldn't worry about it but the information is out there if you look for it.
I believe so too, I just want an estimate time use from more experienced vapers, the coil cleaning process depends on many factors and I think it would be better to stop using after a certain period of use, whatever the coil wire stills cleanable or not, just in case. Thank you.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    The coil in my hand might be close.

#covid - I can't remember.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Imperial Beach, California
    M comment is just guess work but I would expect almost no degradation during normal use. It would be during dry burning (glowing red) where degradation is going to be a factor.
    I get at least a couple of months from the coil used in my daily driver. It usually gets replaced when I mess it up during re-wicking.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
    M comment is just guess work but I would expect almost no degradation during normal use. It would be during dry burning (glowing red) where degradation is going to be a factor.
    I get at least a couple of months from the coil used in my daily driver. It usually gets replaced when I mess it up during re-wicking.

Useful answer dwcraig1, thank you.

Reactions: dwcraig1

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    It's hard to say how long is good to keep a coil cause it depends a lot on how much you vape and in what kind of temps u like your vapor to be and all that...I think that would affect it's longevity...

Different opinions in terms of materials and what is more durable or "healthier" and this got me confused once I tried find the best material to use and still I am not sure...

I just try dry burn them the least possible like I always go in dark room so I can control it better and not glow it cause I feel like glowing a coil is not good....it's good to make coils just a tiny spaced so u don't need to dry burn to remove hotspots and that is a huge deal in my opinion even tho I don't that so at least I dry burn them once when they are new to remove hotspots and that's not good I guess...

Recently I got a very soft metallic brush to clean on rewicks and still do it with care cause I feel like they gonna be scratched very easily and won't be visible with naked eye...

Other than that I think that if u clean a coil properly can be used to many months but since the cost is not much atm I am not planning to use a coil for more than like 3months more or less...

Wish I knew which material is better....I used to like kanthal cause it doesn't change colour and feels very durable but recently a user showed some pics here and mentioned rust on a kanthal coil..
    I never understood if it was a sitting used coil that was being used because I wonder how can be rust if it's being used...

Anyways after that I try use only stainless steel or nichrome if I have no other choice now even tho for some reason I don't like that they change colour when heated hahaha ugh but seems it's not a bad thing....

The only time I felt difference in flavour from the coils material was when I was using some big kanthal coils 3x24/32 fused claptons and I felt this metallic taste some people talk about at first puffs only...

BTW just so you know in case u want to get similar size coils the Zeus x comes with fused claptons 3x28/40 ni80 coils in the package it means it's 3 wires 28gauge thickness that are wraped with a 40 gauge wire

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Wish I knew which material is better....I used to like kanthal cause it doesn't change colour and feels very durable but recently a user showed some pics here and mentioned rust on a kanthal coil..
    I never understood if it was a sitting used coil that was being used because I wonder how can be rust if it's being used...
    I've been doing a test with Kanthal.
    Have a Kanthal coil sitting in a vial of water.
    4 weeks...so far NO rust ???

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I've been doing a test with Kanthal.
    Have a Kanthal coil sitting in a vial of water.
    4 weeks...so far NO rust ???

Ikr seems odd to me to rust like even if it rust into water I guess while vaping it and using it why would it rust....

I can't remember in what thread and who was that said it but had a pic of a coil also that was brownish and to me didn't seem like rust but then again I just saw a pic so I can't be sure and I didn't bother do any experiment to see....and then i got nichrome and stainless on my wires purchase hahaha

Reactions: puffon

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
    Absolutely tnt56, there is not a single doubt about it, can't agree more with you.... but I believe the goal in vaping is also the cleanest way to do it, metal debris is a factor too in the organism, that's why I investigate the longevity of a wire or the optimal period to use it, before any fall apart of particles integrity....but good point, whenever possible, we should scream out loud that tobacco cigarettes are a very dangerous thing, to keep others away from falling in. Thank you.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    Personally I change my coil often. The way I look at it is coil wire is cheap. It's a comfort level thing for me and I agree with trying to minimize your risks where ever possible. I didn't quit smoking to trade one danger for another and if it's something I can avoid or minimize why wouldn't I?

Like Dr. F said way back in 2015
    "we should reach to a point that e-cigarettes should not just be compared to smoking (which is an extremely bad comparator) but should be evaluated on absolute terms. If something can be avoided, vapers should be aware of it so that they can avoid it if they want to."
    Metals emitted from e-cigarettes are NOT a reason for health concern
    Dry-burning metal coils: is it a good thing?

There is a wealth of ecigarette research there to explore and learn from.

BrundleFly

Aug 30, 2017
    Personally I change my coil often. The way I look at it is coil wire is cheap. It's a comfort level thing for me and I agree with trying to minimize your risks where ever possible. I didn't quit smoking to trade one danger for another and if it's something I can avoid or minimize why wouldn't I?

"we should reach to a point that e-cigarettes should not just be compared to smoking (which is an extremely bad comparator) but should be evaluated on absolute terms. If something can be avoided, vapers should be aware of it so that they can avoid it if they want to."

I didn't say there are no information sources concerning my question, it is rather lack of time to find them sometimes, not all of us have the same freedom to take a whole day to research. In fact, this forum is one of many sources and here I am. Having said that, I thank you for the two studies links that indeed, gives a peace of mind then... I ll ask to anyone who reads the original question, don't think right away that I would prefer cigarette damage vs vaping, that's absurd, there is a reason why I vape presently and expose how dangerous analog cigarettes are.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio

Lots of good info. Especially about cleaning wire before coiling. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread