Wow, kicked out of a New Haven nightclub for using e-cigarette. CT not tollerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
If you want to go strait to the e-cigarette public problems, skip strait to the bold.
wow, so.. I ended up going to this little nightclub last night, downtown New Haven Connecticut. it was supposed to be a bubble party, or whatever its called? Basically a little box in the ceiling dropped a turd of dish washing detergent into the middle of the dance floor. It was a gimick to get us there to pay the 10 to get in. Girls free.

So I pay my $10 and we go in, we go into the "game room"(two OFF pinball machines and a fuse ball table with no balls) to dance in the bubbles. We start dancing, and we're just starting to warm up to the music and the crowd. I walk over to the wall, and I start smoking my little 510. A security guard walks over to me and says something too low for me to hear, then he says it again, yelling at me: "PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT NOW!!" and as he's saying this, I'm putting it into my pocket and his head does a jerk back as if hes saying "What the f---???" So I say to him "Its an E-CIG, an ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE" and he goes "OH, I'm sorry, I just didn't know what it was!!"

So we're there for another hour. I was told to put my shirt back on by the same guard... (ITS A BUBBLE PARTY??) I take out my e-cig and this time I'm holding it like a lolly pop so that no one could see the orange LED. I didn't want to confuse others into thinking they could whip out cigarettes. So I'm puffing away and a 2nd guard comes up to me and says "Get rid of it NOW!" And I'm like "But-" and he cuts me off and says "Go outside or I'm carrying you out of here and your never coming back!!" and I'm like "Its an E-CIG, AN ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE" He goes "I DONT CARE, GET RID OF IT"

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Whats worse, is I allowed the second guard to hold it. As I was saying "its an E-CIGARETTE" I handed it over to him. I let him feel the weight. I mean, its a solid, all stainless steel 510. and he almost CONFISCATED IT, not knowing it wasn't disposable! I guess e-cigarettes just aren't main stream at the moment. But I find it rude that a nightclub can't take the time to educate its employees on new trends. I plan on sending the managers and/or owners an e-mail letting them in on my experience.

LeAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2010
Urbana, Illinois, United States
That's why I don't vape those cigarette looking PV's in public. You should have had a mod with you and pulled that out and start vaping on it.......tho they may have thought it was a .... or something. I was vaping my LT outside work one day and somebody came up and asked me if I was sucking on a magic marker....LOL....some people are just nuts!

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
"Its an E-CIG, AN ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE" He goes "I DONT CARE, GET RID OF IT" [/B]

I vape all over Los Angeles, in restaurants (some of them very upscale), in the movies, at Disneyland/Universal Studios, etc. etc.

I'm sure things are different in CT then in Los Angeles, but one suggestion... tell people it's a "personal Vaporizer", used for "medicinal" purposes (hey... if it gets me off of analog's, it IS being used for medicinal purposed!)

Saying "e-cigarette" to most people sends them off the deep end, and either requires you to go into a long explanation, or ends up with them saying it's the same as a tobacco cigarette.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
As I've said many times before, I'm not interested in giving an on the spot seminar on e-cigs whenever someone has an issue .. so I stick to the rules designed for smokers .. I stuck with them when I smoked, I can stick with them now .. a nic hit is not worth the bloodpressure being raised ..

If you blow what looks like smoke, most folks believe you are smoking ..

Last edited:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Some bouncers can be like bad cops. Power hungry with a big head.

pyzampolicehead.jpg

bigjr

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I was in a small bar down town Seattle and the young lady bar-tending saw my esmoke she told me its quiet in here now but if I come back later please don't use it in here. She knew what it was but when I asked her why she told me if I use it then some drunk Ahole will want to light up and shell have to confront a drunk. So I really couldn't argue with her reason, and she was very polite about it.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
IMO, any establishment has the right to decide not to allow vaping. In turn, if I know that they will not allow vaping, I will just take my business elsewhere.

I've had one time when I was told I could not smoke and the guy wouldn't listen. After a couple of back and forth "You can't smoke" "I'm not smoking" things, he told me to talk to his manager. As soon as the manager saw what I had (an eGo at the time), he knew what it was and told me I was fine. I didn't have to explain it to him at all.

If a random employee insisted that I couldn't use it, I would talk to a manager. If the manager told me that (and wouldn't change his mind after I explained), then I wouldn't use it there anymore, but they probably wouldn't get my business after that.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
They only have one bartender, who is the owner, but they have two security guards on duty at once?

I don't see how you could run a bar with only one bartender. One at a time, at a small bar, maybe, but you have to have more than one to cover shifts and an occasional day off. And if you're running a place big enough to need two bouncers, I would expect you would need more than one bartender on duty.

Anyway, I still think that if the manager says "no", then the answer is to not vape, and you can then decide whether you want to do business with them or not. If any employee other than the manager tells you not to vape, I think you should talk to the manager.

bev135

Sep 14, 2011
Colorado
So let me get this straight, Plumes, you knew this might be an issue after being rudely confronted once and yet you pulled out your e-cig AGAIN? Not the brightest move if it was important to you to avoid being asked to leave.
Not that I disagree with you -- you should've been able to vape in there (particularly if you were being at least a little discrete so as not to make others think it's okay to smoke there). But... if I cared about staying where I was I'd be VERY discrete or even go wherever smokers go to avoid a hassle.
But that's me... I don't generally go to nightclubs and would definitely avoid a place with rude bouncers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread