"You can't do that around me, I have asthma!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
March 1st, I started vaping for the first time.

My mom didn't like the idea of me doing it at first. Giving me the entire lecture of "well, I really don't know what is in it, and if it's dangerous for you" I showed my mom some articles from this site, she shut up about it.

I took a different approach with my father. When he came home from work, I left my bedroom door open, and was vaping. He looked at me and loudly exclaimed "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!" (bingo, the exact reaction I was expecting to get) I looked at him and innocently said " I'm vaping ". I handed him the greensmoke membership card that came in my starter pack. (It basically says "this product is made up of 99% water vapor... blah blah blah) He read it, looked up at me like o_O then said " I never thought I'd see the day something like this would exist" still looking stunned and like he WANTED to yell at me but couldn't... he said "c-c-carry on then..." and walked off.

Epic win...

shadowcptn

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Northern Illinois
Really? It's mostly water vapor.

How the hell do you reply to this? :mad:

It was my first negative experience, and it was a coworker. We were at dinner a few nights ago, the whole office, and I pulled out my PV and everyone was pretty excited (except her), so as I was explaining things, I took a puff and got "You can't do that around me, I have asthma." I told her it's primarily water vapor, so it's essentially steam. She started hacking and gagging. I know it was a show, like the guy in Anne Frank (the one who was "allergic" to cats) but it kinda ...... me off.

Just needed to vent a sec. :evil:
I also have asthma & I smoked analogs for well over 25 years. On my kitchen table would be a pack of Marlboro's and an inhaler. To this day, now that I've switched to vaping, I cannot believe that I ever smoked analogs! They most obviously worsened my asthma, yet the crippling addiction kept me smoking analogs. Now that I'm only vaping, I have my breath and my self-respect back. That co-worker of yours needs to "grow up" and realize that your health is just as important as hers.

Happy vaping! :)

Raven_Blackblade

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Kent, Washington
There are no more manners when it comes to the anti smokers, they're hateful. I have a friend (? maybe not friend) who is fat, yes fat, but she always had something to say about my smoking (when I smoked analogs). Do you think it would have been politically correct for me to say something to her when she was stuffing her fat face??? I'm not that insensitive or cruel.

I am :evil:

As someone who is considering switching to ecigs because the breathing issues (asthma as the er dr told me he thought it was) that analogs have created this was my biggest question before the switch...Ty for all of you with asthma that have said this has helped you! I feel more confident in making the switch now! Now all I have to do is come up with the money for it! lol :D

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
I took a different approach with my father. When he came home from work, I left my bedroom door open, and was vaping. He looked at me and loudly exclaimed "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!" (bingo, the exact reaction I was expecting to get) I looked at him and innocently said " I'm vaping ". I handed him the greensmoke membership card that came in my starter pack. (It basically says "this product is made up of 99% water vapor... blah blah blah) He read it, looked up at me like o_O then said " I never thought I'd see the day something like this would exist" still looking stunned and like he WANTED to yell at me but couldn't... he said "c-c-carry on then..." and walked off.

Epic win...
You my dear....epic win for certain ^_^
Now I want a membership card... :( lol

NewDawn

May 21, 2009
I just had a horrible experience with my own sister this week. While going to her house to visit along with my husband who has switched to e-cigs, she claimed after a good couple of hours that the vapor was "bothering" her. She said at first she wasn't sure what it was she was smelling or if her house was just stuffy, then later it progressed into her saying it stinks and smells just like cigarettes.

When we woke up the next day, she claimed she could smell cigarettes down her hallway and she put an air freshener in and sprayed Febreeze there to get rid of the odor, as she put it. She went so far as to claim that maybe we didn't wash our clothes and that was the reason for the smoke smell.

Is it possible that my sister is so closed minded and prejudiced that her mind tricked her into smelling cigarettes? I am completely dumbfounded. I could not smell a thing myself.

MercyPoetic

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
The unfortunate thing about cigarette smoke is its ability to stick to EVERYTHING, so it is possible that she smelled some lingering smoke on something - It could have been anything though, from clothes to a jacket or whatever. But if you want, try an experiment - Vape when she's not looking and see what her reaction is

NewDawn

May 21, 2009
Everything had been washed many times over since almost ten months that my husband switched to e-cigs. I've always been a non-smoker and I could not smell a thing.

Funny how the first night we were there it didn't seem to bother her then. She didn't cough, wheeze, sneeze, sniffle or rub her eyes or even make a comment on it. As I said, it progressed from the second day we were there when she stated, "It's stuffy in here" and "I'm not sure if it's your vaporizer building up or lingering" to the next morning, "It stinks just like cigarettes."

I remember back in college when we lived together for a year that she would even complain when I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She would always say, "Your stinky peanut butter" as I ate my sandwich.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Everything had been washed many times over since almost ten months that my husband switched to e-cigs. I've always been a non-smoker and I could not smell a thing.

Funny how the first night we were there it didn't seem to bother her then. She didn't cough, wheeze, sneeze, sniffle or rub her eyes or even make a comment on it. As I said, it progressed from the second day we were there when she stated, "It's stuffy in here" and "I'm not sure if it's your vaporizer building up or lingering" to the next morning, "It stinks just like cigarettes."

I remember back in college when we lived together for a year that she would even complain when I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She would always say, "Your stinky peanut butter" as I ate my sandwich.
You know it's funny, because I am "smell sensitive" too. I can't eat lunch in the lounge at school because the reek of people's lunches and cup-o-noodles and frozen dinners just makes me gag! And, yes, the worst is peanut butter: even if I'm eating it, it doesn't smell good. The thing about smells , though, is that your nose gets used to them. When I go into the bird room and Petco, the smell just about knocks me over (bird feathers have a very dusty, musky sort of smell), but if I stand there for a minute or two I don't really notice the smell anymore because my nose gets used to it. Funny that she would smell it more and more each day--the sense of smell just doesn't work that way!:confused:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I guess I'm coming to the same conclusion as when I left her house. She has an attitude against it and has built it up in her mind.
And she sounds like one of those people whose built up attitudes only get higher and higher, without any possibility of having them torn down with facts, because that would mean they were wrong all along and also had been acting like an asspocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread