SXK's self-branded TC mod - Nebula 50/60; TC with TCR adjustment; Big Screen; C/F temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Ok, kicking up the wattage I do get that high speed stutter off the temp control, but it smoothes out at lower wattage..... And even when it's doing it, the vape is still good.... Overall I'm impressed with this mod (awesome looks aside :p)
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.
Glad to hear your liking your little gold brick. And yes, I've noticed there are tips and tricks to work around that pulsing temp protection. Great little, heavy, piece isn't it? What do you like most and least about it?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Glad to hear your liking your little gold brick. And yes, I've noticed there are tips and tricks to work around that pulsing temp protection. Great little, heavy, piece isn't it? What do you like most and least about it?
Haven't found any "leasts" yet, cause its worked solidly....except maybe the finger print magnet nature of the brass. Most.... Aside from the looks, which is why I bought it, the next biggest thing is thread adjustable tcr so I can run Ti. The larger screen is nice...seems to have good battery life for 1 18650 (more then my arctic dolphin, at least on par with my invader mini if not more).

Question, does your battery door have posts that hold it in place? I almost don't even need the screws.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Yea mine does. When I first got it I would have a somewhat difficult time getting the door off because with the pegs on mine you have to lift straight up or it gets stuck. However, over time, the pegs have worn a bit and it's slightly looser. I only use the top screw. Holds it tight.
IMG_20150718_190045-1.jpg

That NP setting is the bees knees. Here's something for you to play around with, set your NP to 10 and throw on a kanthal build or coil. It's kinda cool and funny how the device reacts.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
So I tried that.... The only kanthal build I had was a dual Clapton on my dark horse RDA....it tried to use tc, but read it at 70 degrees and kept bumping the voltage up.... It actually hit pretty hard :p
Yea dual claptons are a pretty chunky set of coils. Whenever you get a chance build a simple .5 kanthal with 24-26 gauge. It's neat to see the difference in TCR in wires and how the Nebby handles them. Have you taken it out of the house yet?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Yea dual claptons are a pretty chunky set of coils. Whenever you get a chance build a simple .5 kanthal with 24-26 gauge. It's neat to see the difference in TCR in wires and how the Nebby handles them. Have you taken it out of the house yet?
Once :p
To show it off at my local shop :D

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Once :p
To show it off at my local shop :D
My local brick and mortar price gouges everything. They sold me my first mod, Kanger Evod clearo and a 650mah battery with a USB charger cable and wall adapter for $60. Afterwards I found out I could buy that exact same set up with an extra clearo, battery and coils for $30 online. I haven't dealt with them since. And they're the only shop within 50 miles of me.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
My local brick and mortar price gouges everything. They sold me my first mod, Kanger Evod clearo and a 650mah battery with a USB charger cable and wall adapter for $60. Afterwards I found out I could buy that exact same set up with an extra clearo, battery and coils for $30 online. I haven't dealt with them since. And they're the only shop within 50 miles of me.
Mine used to be reasonable on their mark ups, but they are starting to get that way also

Agnes Black

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
STL, MO
I paid $70.00 from a US seller versus waiting forever to get one from FT -- its spot on (I got the black one) -- love the chip and purity settings. Not a fan of their logo on it, but a vinyl wrap will take care of that. Even though I use Ni200 for TC coils, the purity settings is what the DNA40 chip is lacking. If I do use Nichrome or Titanium it allows for performance tweaks. I'm now looking at Focalecig.com at an SXK 60w VF clone just because I like the Nebula so much. 1 battery is not my fav, but it charges up on the work PC's USB between breaks ;) And its square, which prevents rolling and falling off my desk. It was this or the Sigelei 75w TC mod and I liked the looks of this more. Happy I got it.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Might as well continue to monopolize this thread;). When I'm using a kanthal build or pre made kanthal coil on my Nebby I noticed that it doesn't kick out of TC. I can manually take it out of TC but found that I really don't have to. There's no change in the way the mod fires the kanthal in or out of TC. I'm seriously considering the Smok TFV4, I think that tank would be a great fit for my Nebby.

Reactions: Agnes Black

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Plus, SXK's machine work is AMAZING. 510 threads like butter unlike the iPV4 sitting in a drawer since I got the Nebula LOL
Glad to hear you like yer Nebula. I have the brass one and noticed that the etching on it feels akin to sandpaper. Totally agree with your assessment of NP. If my DNA mods had that adjustment it be a nice little bonus. I have gotten used to just adjusting the temp way down for my Ti builds. Battery life on the Nebula is average, IMO. Does yours pulse power when it hits Temperature Protected? Like a choppy vape?

Reactions: Agnes Black

Agnes Black

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
STL, MO
I was using Nickel wire from my local B&M and when I had it at 90+ for purity, everything tasted funky or burnt. Then I'd turn it down to 60-70 and the Nebula started that weird pulsing bit. I had a small bit of the Ni200 left over, used that, and it stopped. You might get the GCT Smok tank that uses VCT coils -- Smok makes TC replacement coils. Have heard good things even though Im not too keen on its looks.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Since I started using Ni200 wire and selected 97 for the purity, I've had NO pulsing. Before I had it at 70 and it pulsed a LOT. Lightning Vapes NI200 soft wire in 28g is a perfect match for the Nebby
I'm going to have to experiment with the NP setting a little more. I'm just thinking if you go too far above nickel's TCR you'll start getting burnt hits and burning you cotton. Nickel usually has a TCR value of 70, or round about. I'm going to set the temp to 420° F and adjust the NP setting up until the cotton just starts to Brown and write that NP setting value on the spool of ni ni200 wire I got. Then do the same with the spider silk Ti wire I have also.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I'm going to have to experiment with the NP setting a little more. I'm just thinking if you go too far above nickel's TCR you'll start getting burnt hits and burning you cotton. Nickel usually has a TCR value of 70, or round about. I'm going to set the temp to 420° F and adjust the NP setting up until the cotton just starts to Brown and write that NP setting value on the spool of ni ni200 wire I got. Then do the same with the spider silk Ti wire I have also.
Let us know what you find..... Someday I'll do the same, since diff. vendors wire may vary

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I honestly tried to keep it looking like it did when I first opened the box but then realized I'd have to wear this white cotton gloves whenever I wanted a vape. The Nebby is super hungry for finger prints. It actually doesn't look too bad if you just let it smudge. If you find a way to tame that mother smudger please pass it along. View attachment 475471
Have you tried Renaissance Wax?

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I'll be picking up some nevr-dull soon.... It's what I used in the service to polish brass, works well. Won't stop smudging, but will clean it up nice after :p
Yep,then follow it up with Renaissance Wax and you won't have to maintain it again for a few months. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread