Let's see those patinas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

exnihilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
My brass cover accessories came out pretty good. The mustard spread a little ruining the reason I but it on there, mostly. It was supposed to be a letter "Z". So, I formed a Z out of copper tubing and am currently fuming it with ammonia and salt. Will post once finished. :)

Tapa-shutup

I'm quoting myself for context. :D The "Z" stands for 'zipper', which is what a piece of the battery retention systems looks like (more specifically it looks like a zipper pull tab, but that doesn't flow as well...).

The copper is a smashed piece of tubing. I did a more aged (bronzed) rather than a patina look. This was the best color correct I could do, quickly on my phone.

CiL1PYj.jpg

iqysHsA.jpg

jtuWLa7.jpg

HPTvBCv.jpg

Aitl5Af.jpg

cg

Attachments

• 20141210_184428.jpg
    20141210_184428.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 62
I love patinas but my first one turned out dark OD green. It was kind of like green granite, people seemed to like it but I wanted something more blue. Getting a different color on the same device with the same chemicals was probably not going to happen, but ammonia salt is about all there is for that blue/ green color. So I used flux, I fluxed the whole e-cig with a copper bearing flux that adhered to the brass. I got it too hot the first time but the second time it worked. Then I used ammonia salt over two days...

sv50jp.jpg

rvfync.jpg

I had to use acetone to get the waxy flux base off before salting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread