Let's see those patinas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hey there folks, finished my first round of new patina method testing

lI91s1R.jpg

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...thod-applying-patina-copper.html#post14188980

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Just started my latest patina last night, here's some progress shots. My first go trying the dragon scale/snakeskin method. It's an Ameravape Manhattan clone (I don't call them clones any more though after they've been patinaed, to me they're now unique genuine items)

I'm trying something to try and not get the 'eye' that people usually get at the 'back' of their dragon scale patinas

Right at the start
DZioe8R.jpg

One hour in
Olc8Wcc.jpg

Three hours in (2 hours after previous photo)
ldlZJUB.jpg

11 hours in (8 hours after previous photo)
mqhAmdo.jpg

Not sure how much longer to leave it but will probably leave it until I get home from work, making a total of about 24 hours. hoping for really dark 'lines' and bright blue scales although I did like it right at the beginning at 1-1.5 hours in, maybe I'll try it one day with a short patina time, people seem to get some good results with short time patinas but I've never tried it less than 4 hours on brass and never less than 20 hours with copper

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Well, nobody else seems to be posting much here lately, I feel like I've taken over this thread with my obsession :)

Started another patina today, on this Hades, this will be a rubberband patina initially then some McCoy over the top to give it some color

RyJnrZa.jpg

I should have the Manhattan polished this evening and have some photos of it up tomorrow, stay tuned

jonny45378

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Arizona
Redoing my blotched patina again. Sanded it down and just got it in the ammonia/salt about an hour ago. My mistake last time was not sanding it first so the patina came out ugly and kept easily chipping off. Here it is about an hour or so in.
u5y7u8u4.jpg

I don't know why on those few spots it isn't patinaing. If any of you know why I'd love to know. Thanks in advance and I'll keep you guys updated!

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
As promised, some finalized pictures of the Manhattan, I'm still not 100% pleased with how it came out and the orange peel in the clear was just a nightmare to sort out. Won't be using this clear again (Cabots) for anything other than skateboards as it's just a nightmare to get to a smooth finish

Z1mcm5c.jpg

The seam in the fishnets came out reasonably well
lBqmEA8.jpg

As you can see I need to work on my 'masking' skills on the logo but it came out OK I think
Es4l5In.jpg

eTmMGV2.jpg

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Redoing my blotched patina again. Sanded it down and just got it in the ammonia/salt about an hour ago. My mistake last time was not sanding it first so the patina came out ugly and kept easily chipping off. Here it is about an hour or so in.
u5y7u8u4.jpg

I don't know why on those few spots it isn't patinaing. If any of you know why I'd love to know. Thanks in advance and I'll keep you guys updated!

Did you definitely sand it down properly? is there any chance you got some vaseline on those areas during thread protecting or some other kind of oil or silicone based substances? it looks good though, I wouldn't be upset

jonny45378

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Arizona
Did you definitely sand it down properly? is there any chance you got some vaseline on those areas during thread protecting or some other kind of oil or silicone based substances? it looks good though, I wouldn't be upset

I'm pretty sure I didn't. Before I put it in the tub I wiped out down with isopropyl alcohol and wore gloves since that. The only parts that should be are the ends but it's in the middle. Well as of now is starting to patina a bit but still real slow. Here's an updated pic.
4egupyre.jpg

upadetag.jpg

jonny45378

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Arizona
Time for another update! I think I'm done with the patinaing and I'm going to let it dry then clear coat it. I love the way it came out, it almost has a camo pattern. Also the spots that wouldn't patina finally did but not the same shade/color as the rest. Tell me what you guys and gals think :). I'm going to let it dry for a few hours then clear it.
y9e5agad.jpg

5egeburu.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread